What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Been looking for ER recently for a coworker and haven’t seen a bottle. Have however seen the Basil Hayden at a couple places here in Houston. Weird how that works.

Yeah I’ve seen 10 year in restaurants for 3-4 months it seems but never in store

On 4/23/2019 at 5:36 PM, Tex Rob said:

On another note, found an old age stated BH, want to see how it compares to the NAS current release. 

It was in the back of the row, moved it up front for the picture, also snagged that mispriced WP ? 

I had no idea anyone looked for age stated BH.  Never occurred to me.  I wonder how it compares to a normal OGD

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Just realized I bought a bottle of WT101 and forgot to check date codes, crud it’s a 2017 bottling I may need to dump it.

right down your mouth hole is probably a good place to dispose of it :) 

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Just realized I bought a bottle of WT101 and forgot to check date codes, crud it’s a 2017 bottling I may need to dump it.

hilarious

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, nc_6789 said:

51c5a2091427cc8b1d6e60b6a4914085.jpg

Not a purchase but a gift from the wife today! Had a big interview today for a new job at work that I’ve informally been advised that I got and the official paperwork will be given to me next week !! Time to crack this baby open tonight emoji1373.pngemoji1373.pngemoji1373.png

Congrats on the good news

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, BourbonTexan said:

kicking myself I didn’t grab the 8 bottles of Basil 10 year Black Label(never seen it in stores before)

I’m willing to bet that if you bought one and tried it, you’d be kicking yourself for buying one...

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, nc_6789 said:

51c5a2091427cc8b1d6e60b6a4914085.jpg

Not a purchase but a gift from the wife today!

She’s obviously a keeper. 

:)

congrats on the good news!

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

20 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I’m willing to bet that if you bought one and tried it, you’d be kicking yourself for buying one...

I had one glass in Nashville about a month ago or so and thought it was really good. Of course that was probably my 5th bourbon by then.

did you not like it because of price or was it just plain bad for you?

9 minutes ago, BourbonTexan said:

I had one glass in Nashville about a month ago or so and thought it was really good. Of course that was probably my 5th bourbon by then.

did you not like it because of price or was it just plain bad for you?

I tried it about a week ago at a local store tasting bar, and found it weird and just not very good.   I didn’t think it tasted anything like regular BH or OGD

As a reference point, I typically enjoy old grand dad in its various forms.

The other 4 people at the bar who also tried it had basically the same opinion as me.   Perhaps we tried a bad bottle?

I do trust this store, and doubt they would pull any shenanigans. 

Since you mentioned price:

personally, an 80p 10 year beam product for $100 per doesn’t represent a good value for me, when there’s so many 10-15 year old Knob Creek picks available for $50 or less. 

Also, all 3 of the OGD products fall under $30 here

To each their own.  That’s what makes this fun.  I might be a bourbon preacher sometimes, but my word is far from gospel.   :)

• I like it 1

I picked up an odd bottle of MM  The wax is black on top of yellow.  I know they do all sorts of different colors for different occasions.  After I got home, I think I figured it out - left over from March Madness (Purdue colors). ?

I' guess I'll drink it anyway.  Don't tell anybody.

OMG this is hilarious [emoji23] dude your are too funny. Pour down the drain...lol where do you come up with these? Because checking codes is pointless, LOL. Who wants older bourbon?? Not me, that's for sure!!! Hahaha!! You really shouldn't pour it down the drain though, that's just stupid.

OMG this is hilarious [emoji23] dude your are too funny. Pour down the drain...lol where do you come up with these? Because checking codes is pointless, LOL. Who wants older bourbon?? Not me, that's for sure!!! Hahaha!! You really shouldn't pour it down the drain though, that's just stupid.

As someone else said the only pouring out I’m going to do is down my throat. However I did want to search for one of the 2018 bottling just to see what all the fuss was about but forgot. I may end up looking around for one.
  • I like it 1

As someone else said the only pouring out I’m going to do is down my throat. However I did want to search for one of the 2018 bottling just to see what all the fuss was about but forgot. I may end up looking around for one.
If you find one I'd be interested to know what you think.

18 hours ago, jwperry said:

That went well. Single day kill. It was well received.IMG_20190426_222633848.jpg

Killed by yourself in a single day?  I can say I've NEVER done that.  OTOH, back in the day (1970 IIRC), I did make runs to the Cork and Bottle on Georgia Ave NW for the inpatients on Ward 10 at Walter Reed Army Hospital (the orthopedic ward).  More than once, I did split a fifth with an Army buddy.  He stayed in bed, I slept on the floor.  Ah, YOUTH!!  EDIT - And usually we were drinking 90 proof JD Black.  Once in awhile, he wanted Southern Comfort (which back then was sort of a flavored 80 proof bourbon instead of neutral spirits all dressed up). He grew up in Mississippi so he loved all that sweetness.  I didn't; it made me sticky.  I usually had to stop at a McDonalds and eat several bags of fries to get the stickiness out of my mouth.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Clarification/

Two MMCS on sale at 39.99. A WTKS in the new bottle which is interesting because I hadn’t seen it in any bottle near me for a couple years, and they finally lowered the price enough to get me to bite on the Bond and Lillard. For 28.99 I’m willing to try it.

IMG_1751.jpg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Killed by yourself in a single day? 

Watching the Nats is making me consider it.

• I like it 2

Wanted something , cheap, with a little bite to it. I sampled the OF rye , a couple of weeks ago when we toured the distillery.  I really like. I imagine that it's great in an Old-fashioned.

I've been meaning to try the OGD BIB, for some time now. Picked it up for $21.00, so giving it a shot (pun fully intended, I'm drinking some now?)  Not a bad pour

20190427_191256.jpg

• I like it 2

Two MMCS on sale at 39.99. A WTKS in the new bottle which is interesting because I hadn’t seen it in any bottle near me for a couple years, and they finally lowered the price enough to get me to bite on the Bond and Lillard. For 28.99 I’m willing to try it.

IMG_1751.thumb.jpg.5ef694fe25f78d97e0e2f758c5269a1f.jpg

Wow yeah I’d definitely give the Bond and Lillard a go at that price.

First hazmat purchase (and the highest proof whiskey I've ever tasted at 146.1).

IMG_0946.jpg

• I like it 11

Killed by yourself in a single day?  I can say I've NEVER done that.  OTOH, back in the day (1970 IIRC), I did make runs to the Cork and Bottle on Georgia Ave NW for the inpatients on Ward 10 at Walter Reed Army Hospital (the orthopedic ward).  More than once, I did split a fifth with an Army buddy.  He stayed in bed, I slept on the floor.  Ah, YOUTH!!  EDIT - And usually we were drinking 90 proof JD Black.  Once in awhile, he wanted Southern Comfort (which back then was sort of a flavored 80 proof bourbon instead of neutral spirits all dressed up). He grew up in Mississippi so he loved all that sweetness.  I didn't; it made me sticky.  I usually had to stop at a McDonalds and eat several bags of fries to get the stickiness out of my mouth.

Oh no, there were 4 of us.

Grabbed a CEHT Straight Rye today after not seeing anything much interesting the last few weeks. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.