What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/18/2019 at 8:24 AM, BDanner said:

Colonel E H Taylor made his quarterly visit to North Carolina yesterday and brought me a bottle of Small Batch. I have a few bunkered, but I always try and pick one up when it arrives. I hope to have enough one day that I can make it my everyday drinker (haha). I passed HARD on the newly $50 MSRP'ed Weller Antique. It was a good $30 bottle, but not even close to a $50 bottle for me.

BDanner, I'm with you on that.

On 4/18/2019 at 5:32 PM, BottledInBond said:

The variances in availability state to state never cease to amaze me. EHT stuff is on the shelf in basically every store, every day here. The barrel proof has gotten tougher but the small batch /single barrel / rye are everywhere, and priced very fairly

BiB:  EHT used to be that available here in Texas until very recently, but not anymore.  The  'tater effect' has taken root. Don't take for granted that it will always be so easily found forever.

This weeks picks....

All of these are back ups to already opened bottles. 

812E4101-CDD8-40CA-9088-413280A46786.jpeg

• I like it 3

47654112821_ca260a7588_c.jpg

Sometimes the way stores handle limited stuff makes no sense.  I've been looking for the Eighteen 33 single barrel and know it's rarely released.  Asked the store where I got the EC and they said it was released a little over a week ago on a Tuesday and sold out in about 30 minutes (at $200/bottle). They had a 12 BOTTLE per person limit for an extremely rare limited release knowing the demand and likelihood of it being flipped.  In there today and they have a 1 bottle person limit on Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace along with the EC pick.  These stores can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, JGriff said:

Going to open one before sending the rest  to the bunker 

B4C89BA5-F554-4D4D-AD1A-E670689AB0FD.jpeg

How do u like it? I ended up trading my extras after opening  my first. 

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

How do u like it? I ended up trading my extras after opening  my first. 

I wish I could find some trades that way to get rid of my OF1920. I had the same reaction. 

• I like it 2

I managed to get 3 more bottles of ECBP A119 today. It makes it really hard for me to not stock up on any ECBP or Stagg Jr. release at the state price these days. The fact there is zero sales tax is icing on the cake!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, JMFH said:

Sometimes the way stores handle limited stuff makes no sense.  I've been looking for the Eighteen 33 single barrel and know it's rarely released.  Asked the store where I got the EC and they said it was released a little over a week ago on a Tuesday and sold out in about 30 minutes (at $200/bottle). They had a 12 BOTTLE per person limit for an extremely rare limited release knowing the demand and likelihood of it being flipped.  In there today and they have a 1 bottle person limit on Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace along with the EC pick.  These stores can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.

Have you cracked the Eighteen 33?  My local Total Wine had a whole row of them for about $75.00.  I thought about buying but passed as I've never had any of them.  Maybe I should go back and pick one up.

7 hours ago, JMFH said:

4 minutes ago, mpgolfpro said:

Have you cracked the Eighteen 33?  My local Total Wine had a whole row of them for about $75.00.  I thought about buying but passed as I've never had any of them.  Maybe I should go back and pick one up.

Oh my, those are on the high side for the Boone County 1833.  I paid $55-59.99 for mine ( I think I originally purchased 3, and I have finished one so far).  I thought that they capture some of the SAOS MGP goodness, but I found these Boone County versions to be low proof and worse, are a bit over-oaked and left in the barrel a bit too long, compared to SAOS.  It's all about the picking, and SA knows what they are doing.  I won't be buying more 1833 at $59, but then again I am spoiled because I got accustomed to paying $50-55 for SAOS single barrels, and they are definitely superior.  If I could get the 1833 for  $45 or less then I would definitely buy more. 

I finally got around to visiting Galvin0791 yesterday. We had a couple of beers, and I chatted with him, my niece and great niece for a while. Good times. :) Oh, and I also picked up a bottle of Weller SR that he had grabbed for me a while back. ;) I sure do have a good family. :D Thanks Mike.

Biba! Joe

sr1.jpeg

• I like it 2

Here's the booze & bling that came home from the Pilgrimage the other week.  Thought I was being more responsible and limited/restricted myself, but then I saw the CC bill....

Tried to stick to more KY/regional stuff this time around.  The 4R SIB is the normal OBSV but a distillery-only pick by Brent, supposedly a non-standard rep of OBSV.  A second bottle of SIB off a TW shelf (and $12 cheaper) isn't in the pic - gotta have something to compare the Brent pick to, right?  The two OFs  (and the one 4R from TW) were brought back since they're @ $10+ per cheaper at TW than down here and were wanted for replacements shortly anyway.   

1481978015_April2019PilgrimageBoozeBlingres.thumb.jpg.53f55728d308da01dcc512945c2ad2f5.jpg

Bourbon fever is very much like Auction fever or SALE! fever - even though I've no interest in paying $100+ for a 750 of Peerless, somehow it's just dandy to pay the same /ml for a 200ml...  Same for the 375 of distillery-only WR BIB - $100 for a 750 would never happen from me, but $50 for almost a pint?  WTH.....

And that little bottle of Wade Lyn whiskey trying to jump off the corner?  I wouldn't expend any effort to try and stop it - it now holds the distinction of the most gawdawful whiskey I've ever had, supplanting a .99 cent mini of Terra-Puke bourbon (that I spent .99 cents too much on last trip).   At least I finished off the mini - could only handle two sips of the WL - the rest of the pour hit the hotel floor in the middle of the night when it got bumped in the dark.  Now I'm torn between dumping the remaining and re-purposing the bottle for blend experiments (after multiple boiling rinses to ensure it's truly dead and gone), or keeping what's left to periodically torture myself and keep the memory of what (too many) craft whiskeys unfortunately turn out like.  At least it kept me from bringing back any other "aged at least XX months" stuff this go-around.  And the bottle is neat too...

Oh so thankfully the RH and NR are standouts for the New Kids on the Block!

• I like it 1

20190418_123931.thumb.jpg.bae34874049e1a5cc3d90a0db345c59b.jpg

Tried a new liquor store the other day and although they did not have what I was originally looking for, I came across some GTS at retail (only bought 2 out of 3).  I'm curious to see how it compares to other versions. 

• I like it 5

39 minutes ago, Tex Rob said:

Tried a new liquor store the other day and although they did not have what I was originally looking for, I came across some GTS at retail (only bought 2 out of 3).  I'm curious to see how it compares to other versions. 

Hmmm. This new LS also sell Rolexs? 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Tex Rob said:

? I wish it was in Dallas

Grabbed another bottle of a private pick of Old Forester Single Barrel from a favorite retailer.    This is one that I did not help select, as I was out of town when they tasted the samples; but, I have to say, they done GOOD!

I've had a few other private pix of this brand from a couple other sources, and this is easily the best of the four I've tried.

It is rich, well balanced, and very flavorful for a 90-proof Bourbon.    And, a wonderful nose to start it off. 

If any of y'all are near, or passing through, SE Michigan, Discount Drinks in Wyandotte has some left.   Enjoy!

• I like it 3

Wow! How lucky can one get to walk into a new LS and pick up 2 out of 3 available GTS at retail? That just doesn’t usually happen in today’s bourbon hunting environment!
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.