What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, j_fuelfiveo said:

One of these things is not like the other but I'm willing to give it a try for "science". 

20190403_071653.jpg

My buddy won a state online raffle (Ohio) and got the E. H. Taylor. It was wonderful. 

• I like it 2

Just bought some EH Taylor bonded for $32 and FR SB for $25. Cracked the EH Taylor as it was the first time I've purchased and I must say it was quite good. The wife liked it more than the FR

24 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Just bought some EH Taylor bonded for $32 and FR SB for $25. Cracked the EH Taylor as it was the first time I've purchased and I must say it was quite good. The wife liked it more than the FR

Four Roses, FR small batch and FR single barrel. I originally liked FR, but after tasting more and more bourbons I found myself liking FR less and less. I am really liking Buffalo Trace now. EH Taylor small batch is probably the best stuff I have tasted so far for me but it is an allocated product in Ohio.

Cheers!

• I like it 2

Couldn't pass on a Rare Breed at 37 and change.  It wouldn't be noteworthy, except for that it was the first bottle of bourbon I've purchased since January! 

• I like it 5

32 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Couldn't pass on a Rare Breed at 37 and change.  It wouldn't be noteworthy, except for that it was the first bottle of bourbon I've purchased since January! 

What? Is zen making your trigger finger lazy?

• I like it 1

My local ABC just purchased a barrel pick of Elijah Craig. It clocks in at 11 1/2 years. I grabbed two. Hopefully some time opened will help, but so far it's not terribly good. Also picked up a bottle of Roku Gin. It is delicious.

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

ER10 has been pretty hard to find and extremely limited in St. Louis for at least the last 4 or 5 years.  It can be found but it is not in every store and usually carries a markup.  Sorry..don't mean to beat a dead horse.  We have other things easier and lower priced but certain items (like ER, CEHT, Stagg Jr., Blanton's, etc.) are getting crazy around here.  I don't know if I've EVER seen an ECBP in St. Louis either.  But, regular Buffalo Trace is usually piled 20 deep while in other markets it is allocated.  A month or so it disappeared for a short time but seems to be back now.

In Virginia, we have ER everywhere.  Almost always on the shelf where I'm at.  But Buffalo Trace disappears after the first day on the shelf typically.  It's about as hard to find as Blanton's.

13 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

I’ll second this ad add that I get tons of chocolate covered cherries especially if i roll it around a little.

Killer, I'll pick one up at some point.  I'm originally from Canonsburg.  Lets Go Pens!

Going thru these at a pretty good clip lately. Also picked up another Founder's CBS.

20190405_181605-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

On 4/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, Scarfinger68 said:

I am in Ohio. I got the 1.75 ER10 in Michigan. Two different Michigan retailers said it will be allocated soon.

Cue the stampede. It seems that 10 year olds are on the chopping block.

Haven’t bought a bottle since 2006. Haven’t seen any on the shelves in my controlled county in MD ever. I saw some other BT stuff hitting the shelves and called around and found one.
IMG_2549.jpg

• I like it 5

Figured since I haven’t had any of the SAOS, I wouldn’t be missing out on MGP. At least that’s how’s I’m rationalizing spending money on Dickel juice. 

B0E2A4A0-BDB1-4146-8420-4463F6F0B40F.jpeg

Edited by Supercharger
typo

Picked up a 1.75 VOB 90 in a glass bottle (others seem to be plastic that I’ve seen here).. never have tried so we’ll see what happens.. These 2 ECSmB’es, this is my 4th of the bottle on the left... Again, have become fond of.. Anyone want to chime in if any major significance between these 2 SmB’es? Cheers... ;) 

8BCA30A0-608B-4BB8-806E-89940ECA3F4B.jpeg

Picked up a 1.75 VOB 90 in a glass bottle (others seem to be plastic that I’ve seen here).. never have tried so we’ll see what happens.. These 2 ECSmB’es, this is my 4th of the bottle on the left... Again, have become fond of.. Anyone want to chime in if any major significance between these 2 SmB’es? Cheers... [emoji6] 
8BCA30A0-608B-4BB8-806E-89940ECA3F4B.thumb.jpeg.55424b1a43056953d31e3a7329de1ead.jpeg

Those two bottles of EC Small Batch are probably about the same, they just changed the bottle and labeling a few years ago. Now if the short bottle says it’s aged 12 years on the back, then you’ve found one of the last age stated ones before the age statement was dropped and the batches started getting younger...probably 8 to 12 year batch blends.
  • I like it 1

40C0A4B9-A97C-49BF-B86E-D8E0B3D7D82E.thumb.jpeg.563ad6e9a4dcc4790039487fff52f21e.jpeg

You’re not alone. I spend too much money every time I set foot inside LRP too!
  • I like it 1

20 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

You’re not alone. I spend too much money every time I set foot inside LRP too!

$400 gone...  I feel good about it though lol. 

After that & my NOLA trip I spent a little over $700 this week.  Sigh...

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy
  • I like it 2

I spent a little over $700 this week.  Sigh...

Me too. Commiseration or enablement? Don’t care, you’re among your people here.
  • I like it 2

15 hours ago, hollywood said:

Picked up a 1.75 VOB 90 in a glass bottle (others seem to be plastic that I’ve seen here).. never have tried so we’ll see what happens.. These 2 ECSmB’es, this is my 4th of the bottle on the left... Again, have become fond of.. Anyone want to chime in if any major significance between these 2 SmB’es? Cheers... ;) 

8BCA30A0-608B-4BB8-806E-89940ECA3F4B.jpeg

I still feel the quality went down with the rear-age-stated EC. I think quality went back up when they were no longer having to only pull 12s. I just got a new-bottle 12 yr EC store pic thats fabulous!

• I like it 1

Was at Willett yesterday and they brought out some 4 y.o. rye so I picked up a bottle.

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I still feel the quality went down with the rear-age-stated EC. I think quality went back up when they were no longer having to only pull 12s. I just got a new-bottle 12 yr EC store pic thats fabulous!

Well, that's apples versus oranges there.  The 12yr store pick is surely a hand-picked single barrel and you're comparing it to a relatively mass produced batched product (let's say "medium batch").  Not a fair comparison to base your judgement on.  

Myself, I didn't detect much difference between the latest version of the red letter "12" label vs the same era back label age stated (ca. 2015 I guess?).   But then again I've never assumed that the product inside the bottle changes just because the packaging changes (there is no dependency there).  

The problem with the NAS product is, yeah in 2016ish the early batches of NAS were a minimum 8 years (with plenty of 12 yr blended in) as they made the transition, but what about now in 2019? How much older juice is in there now? (the answer is "who knows"). The last NAS I bought a few months ago is a shadow of the old EC12, so much that I don't consider it the same product. 

Edited by Kepler
multiple typos, and I haven't even been drinking, ha.
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I really like the new “version”.. However, I’ve yet to have a pour of the older bottle for a comparison.. Hence my curiosity! Thanks for your thoughts! ;) 

Well, I bit the bullet this afternoon! I picked this OF1920 up that I’d been eye-balling multiple times per week over the past few months now with a KCSmB 100 also. I gave $59.99 for the OF1920 at the ABC, I haven’t found any cheaper here hence my procrastination.  :( 

D9D09D33-6636-4F0A-BBF0-AA4D75CFA765.jpeg

On 4/3/2019 at 5:15 PM, PhantomLamb said:

I haven't tried this yet but it's readily available here.  Interested to hear any tasting notes.  

I did a quick search on SB for "Makers Mark Cask Strength" (and selected -  o ALL my search terms) and got about a dozen threads.  One of them was "Makers Mark Cask Strength".  IIRC, quite a few of us who had moved on from basic MM as "ok but not interesting" and didn't find MM 46 all that much better found that we liked the MMCS enough to buy it.  Our comments, mostly from 2015-2017, do contain some tasting notes.  It was also a Bottle of the Month (BOTM) back then.

GO TO SB's "Home" (upper left corner of this page) then scroll down to "Bourbon Discussion" and select "Straight Bourbon of the Month" then browse among the topics.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.