What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a GTS ‘17 was going to have a WLW but was out of that as well so decided to have another GTS. Then followed with a THH ‘17. GTS was def the highlight of the night.IMG_2889.jpgIMG_2890.jpgIMG_2891.jpg

• I like it 2

1st post here. Excited to be here and wanted to share this delicious 14-yr KC SiB pick from Austin.  So smooth and absolutely no ethanol for a 120 proofer.  Cheers! 

C703006B-EBC3-40F8-9EB1-0E5D58F4C9A6.jpeg

Edited by TxBourbonite
spelling
  • I like it 8

On 6/21/2019 at 11:00 PM, PaulO said:

I'm having some Ezra Brooks 90 proof.

I'm really enjoying this, better than I expected.  I call it an easy drinker, no rough edges, nothing too complicated.

We assume made by HH.  I wonder, does Lux Row have their own rack houses, or do they get 4 year old whiskey and directly bottle it?

17 hours ago, Phil T said:

When we drove by in April, pretty sure there were 3. And when we toured last year, I'm pretty sure they said that they are building 6. They haven't been distilling long enough to have a 4yr old yet.

The entry to the rickhouse they use on the tour is really cool - they left the ricks/floors out for several rows so you get a terrific side view of all six stories.

RY Rickhouse.JPG

• I like it 3

Opened with EWSiB 2010, then onto ECBP B517.  Both very enjoyable in their own right. 

Cheers

More Costco. This doesn't have vitamins or bananas, so I can't tell where it comes from.

IMG_20190621_203311.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Kane said:

More Costco. This doesn't have vitamins or bananas, so I can't tell where it comes from.

IMG_20190621_203311.jpg

Is it pretty decent? 

Heavy (for me) yard work yesterday - digging out shrub/hedge stumps.  My helper (a neighborhood guy who really likes his "corn likker") is older than I am.  Between us, we have more than 100 years of yard work experience not counting our teens.  ANYWAY, after we got the last one dug out, he went home to sleep, and I went looking for a beer.  I HAD NONE!  Hence, I put some ice in a Tervis Tumbler, poured two OZ. of Virgin 101 in it, took a shower, and after drying off of course) sat down to enjoy.

Proof with melting was between 50 and 60 (about 2 OZ. of VB to 0.75 OZ. of icemaker ice).  I could not believe how fruity, rich, refreshing, and SOLID the VB diluted was.  Had my wife taste it.  She wanted to know how much sugar I'd added.  NONE!  I think I like it better at 60 than I do at 101.

Although I usually keep something like AA in the freezer for days like this, that space currently is filled with spare ribs slabs.  Hence, the improvisation.

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

..,I put some ice in a Tervis Tumbler, poured two OZ. of Virgin 101 in it, took a shower, and after drying off of course) sat down to enjoy.

Uh, Harry...I got an uncomfortable visual going on...Shouldn’t there be something between drying off and sat down to enjoy?  :D

• I like it 6

44 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Is it pretty decent? 

It's decent actually. Not a flavorless bottom shelf, uniquely mineral/savory taste. My completely baseless speculation was this is a Dickel that didn't fit their normal vitamin profile, so it became a Kirkland, but it should make the same Dickel target audience very happy.

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Uh, Harry...I got an uncomfortable visual going on...Shouldn’t there be something between drying off and sat down to enjoy?  :D

There's not a damn thing wrong with naked whiskey drinking :D 

(doing so while having a cigar, however, can be dangerous)

• I like it 4

Sat down before dinner with some HHSS SB2 . . . and couldn't recall which I liked more - so pulled out my last HHSS SB1 for a little side by side.  I'm not really sure I feel comfortable putting either in '2nd place'.  Both just delicious, big whiskies.  I remember being apprehensive before trying the first one (as at the time I wasn't a big fan of finished bourbons), but that one is a great example of how it should be done IMHO.  The cognac finish provides just the right balance of background accompaniment to the stellar wheated bourbon that is front and center.

And for those visualizing at home - fully dressed (sans socks) ;) 

• I like it 2

After a good day at work and a quick run before some rain showers moved in I decided to pour a small glass of Stagg Jr. batch 11. Now to settle in and watch the Braves vs Cubs 

On 6/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, Kane said:

IMG_20190621_203311.jpg

It's Dickel I have no doubt, it tastes like some of the 9 year picks I've had, I like it very much. 

15 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It's Dickel I have no doubt, it tastes like some of the 9 year picks I've had, I like it very much. 

Found this on the interwebz, so it’s gotta be true

since when is JB in TN??

CA6B5BB6-913A-4E1F-A0AA-30EF66DF0D91.png

Edited by TehRegion219
Location location location

5 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

since when is JB in TN??

The original Kirkland bourbon from several years ago was Beam.  It was pretty good, and a steal at 7 years, 103 proof, for $20 for a liter.  I still have a few bottles of it.  The provenance changed a few years ago to Tennessee, and strongly suspected Dickel.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

The original Kirkland bourbon from several years ago was Beam.  It was pretty good, and a steal at 7 years, 103 proof, for $20 for a liter.  I still have a few bottles of it.  The provenance changed a few years ago to Tennessee, and strongly suspected Dickel.

6 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

since when is JB in TN??

There is no doubt the old was beam the TTB Filing was done by them:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=11125001000283

The TN bourbon is on the other hand bottled by "Tennessee Distilling Co.  which is, as far as I can tell, a warehouse that houses a small operation:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15344001000055

http://www.tndistilling.com/

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=1929+Ridgecrest+Drive%2C+Columbia%2C+Tennessee+38401%2C+USA&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

Four Roses 10 year 6 month OESV 112.6. 

This is my second favorite Four Roses so far behind the 130th. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.