What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some friends over tonight, as most of us have tomorrow off. These are all my opens at the moment, but I think it should make for a good tasting selection for my guests. I just poured some of the ECBP (B517), and it tastes fantastic right now. The 124+ proof is incredibly sippable neat, which is something of a rarity for me with BP expressions.

The Kentucky Spirit bottle is not actually WT, but rather my chosen vessel for my infinity bottle experiment that’s been going for about 18 months now. It’s pretty tasty at the moment, which tends to change with every new addition. It started as a mix of 2:1:1 WT101:OF1920:Baby Saz, which I thought was only so-so. Lost track a long time ago of what all has been added since, but I know there are some excellent bottles that sacrificed a few oz to develop the blend.

Happy Sunday SBrs!

0824051A-2F65-4056-A638-4443FE2F1140.jpeg

Edited by BigSkyDrams

Had to help my son out today. His TV died yesterday and he had to have anew one. Traffic was terrible this afternoon on US131 through Grand Rapids. Got back around 4 pm   Had a bit of blantons to end my day. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

For a few weeks now this has been the only bottle I have been reaching for which is kind of surprising to me. 

y4m58uXWpL6XGPsXFPjVU1jpX5lWcwG9xPsrZHnK

I’ve loved many of these 1792 BIBs. My local did a barrel that shocked me with how good it was.  Love that glass, BTW... ??

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, TheNovaMan said:

What did you determine?

The Old Ezra barrel strength 7y/117p is significantly better for me.  Lots of spice and cinnamon.  The HH7 BiB seems more bitter and muted.  After leaving it in the glass for about an hour, it got better and developed a nice subtle caramel flavor, but at the end of the day it's still $10-$20 more and thus the OE117 is a much better buy and enjoyable pour in my mind.

• I like it 2

My store was out of Rare Breed. Side note, If this is the end of the 116.8 batch I’ll be annoyed! 

This is good. There were flashes of youth with that yeasty/cornbread flavor on the nose day one. Today, it’s more in the palate. However, overall it’s a very nice bourbon. $72 OTD is a “premium” price point though. Excited to see what the next 2-3 years bring. If Peerless does keep pricing steady as age increases I’m on board.  Not currently a good value, but if they

End up being great I will not regret buying the younger releases. 

AEC3D1C0-67DD-4FE0-B71A-313DF30B1923.jpeg

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’ve loved many of these 1792 BIBs. My local did a barrel that shocked me with how good it was.  Love that glass, BTW... ??

I bought this one when it first hit the market here had a pour out of it and largely forgot about it, all the work on this sucker has been recent, have a backup in the bunker and it's a pick, looking forward to trying them SBS when this one gets near the end. 

Sitting at the Top Golf bar having a pour of MM while we wait on our bay. I gotta say, it is very tasty. 

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

Sitting at the Top Golf bar having a pour of MM while we wait on our bay. I gotta say, it is very tasty. 

Back when MM was priced in the low $30s for a 750, I didn't think that it was all that impressive. Nowadays, it's frequently priced around $22-24 for a bottle and it matches up well with the price competition. When the 1.75L bottles are on sale for less than $40, it looks and drinks even better.

• I like it 3

Had a nice pour of the 2019 4R LE SB at a local establishment for my birthday. It did not disappoint...obviously. 

• I like it 2

Catching up on Doctor Who from last night with A Russels Single Barrel pick from Meier grocery store. Nowhere near as good as the Binny’s picks I have had but awfully tasty anyway.

Watching Johnny Manziel golf while sipping a Bowman Brothers Small Batch... Still trying to love this one but I can’t say it yet... Not terrible but not blowing my socks off. 

My brother in law is in town visiting for the holiday weekend so that means some bourbon tasting is in order.

For those of you who remember my origin story, this is the brother in law who started me down the path when he introduce me to '12 Stagg and Handy over Christmas of that year.

He came down with a cold on the way here so that slowed us down a bit but we've finished the weekend strong with some '19 and then '17 Stagg. Finishing with WHH 14yr. 

Back to reality tomorrow.

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, River Hills said:

Started on this WT KS last night.  Very tasty.

what does other SBr’s think of it?

AA36B7C0-BB8D-422D-81BC-57BAD642541E.jpeg

Since it's a single barrel it can vary greatly from barrel to barrel. Some of the WT rickhouses have some distinct characteristics. I've had some WTKS that were fantastic, and I had one that was absolutely no different than standard WT101.

Due to price, proof, and chill filtering, I prefer RRSIB to WTKS

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Since it's a single barrel it can vary greatly from barrel to barrel. Some of the WT rickhouses have some distinct characteristics. I've had some WTKS that were fantastic, and I had one that was absolutely no different than standard WT101.

Due to price, proof, and chill filtering, I prefer RRSIB to WTKS

What do you think of RRSIB vs. RR10yr.?

• I like it 1

It’s Tuesday, so Turkey Tuesday followed by Wild Wednesday and than back to Turkey Thursday.

I had some of this Decades with my father-in-law over Christmas. Seemed to be pouring a lot of soft single malts, rums and W12. He tried this and was like, “that’s really good Man Whiskey”. Definitely has some spice but very well balanced, one of my favorites ever, Turkeys is the best.
IMG_8926.jpg

• I like it 5

Started on this WT KS last night.  Very tasty.
what does other SBr’s think of it?
AA36B7C0-BB8D-422D-81BC-57BAD642541E.jpeg.aaa6b36cf567ea66e633ae9a7d920ef2.jpeg

It seems to be priced the same and I seem to prefer and buy the RRSB probably prefer it due to the 110 proof and NCF. I also think the profile they target for this is softer, less spice than RRSB.

Than again as others mentioned it’s a SB so you never know.

Ever have one of those days when you feel like you are slogging through mud. That was my day. Came home and had bit of McKenna. That smoothed things out a bit

224A749C-038B-48F0-A65D-C7C493483398.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.