What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, River Hills said:

What do you think of RRSIB vs. RR10yr.?

I enjoy RR10 quite a bit, but the single barrel is my favorite regularly available bourbon. 

On 2/16/2020 at 1:28 AM, Kepler said:

I had a VW 13 rye at a restaurant earlier tonight and it was superb.

Are there any more accessible ryes out there that are similar in flavor profile?

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Ever have one of those days when you feel like you are slogging through mud. That was my day. Came home and had bit of McKenna. That smoothed things out a bit

224A749C-038B-48F0-A65D-C7C493483398.jpeg

Mix that Bayou Spiced Rum 50/50 with store-bought eggnog and stick it in the freezer overnight. It’ll smooth things out a lot. 

• I like it 2

Good grief I’ve had this bottle open for awhile...

Delicate notes of custard/creme brûlée, layered with a kiss of fruit and some oak. 

A6567578-76F8-4DF2-BB61-1BFF57B59A28.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

More WTRB B3 with some almond Kringle from Racine.

D3088712-A847-438E-8FA2-3CDD0322D1E1.jpeg

How do you dip that Kringle in such a small glass? :) 

• I like it 1

Having some BT  tonight. A locale restaurant pick, really good.    

Edited by LCWoody

1 hour ago, clearmoon247 said:

Are there any more accessible ryes out there that are similar in flavor profile?

Not that I can remember tasting.  Maybe someone else here would know.  The problem with that is there is usually a wide gap in the aging between available ryes and this 13 year, and the extra aging makes all the difference in these ryes. I've never researched the mashbill of the VW rye because I know it's impossible to get a bottle anyway. But it has to be high corn content so more on the barely legal side of the spectrum.

As for available high corn content options, I am a big fan of the 2009 Knob Creek barrel  proof Rye (haven't tried my 2010 version yet but assume it great too). Also Michter's BP LE rye. But neither of these are in the same area code as the VW.

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

More WTRB B3 with some almond Kringle from Racine.

D3088712-A847-438E-8FA2-3CDD0322D1E1.jpeg

My man.........

My mother grew up in Racine. We had family in Kenosha. The almond kringle from O&H Bakery is a staple in our household and I order it for every Christmas. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Mix that Bayou Spiced Rum 50/50 with store-bought eggnog and stick it in the freezer overnight. It’ll smooth things out a lot. 

We need to get you to Bardstown at the end of April.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

We need to get you to Bardstown at the end of April.

There’s a family event at my son’s school on that weekend every year— I’ll be in CT. That’s the reason I came to Bardstown for the small fall event last year. 

Had a fun time last night choosing a barrel from a set (only 3) of samples provided by Woodford.   'Unfortunately' all we can choose is Woodford Reserve, bottled in the usual manner.   I say unfortunately because two of the three were pretty interesting at barrel proof (low 130's).    ...And, the one we chose was especially nice at Barrel proof, with a very rich mouthfeel (which I expect will be lacking when we get the bottles).   Ah, well first-world-problems, I guess.   A fun and rewarding evening with several other interesting pours offered around after the selection  was completed.

• I like it 2

Had a fun time last night choosing a barrel from a set (only 3) of samples provided by Woodford.   'Unfortunately' all we can choose is Woodford Reserve, bottled in the usual manner.   I say unfortunately because two of the three were pretty interesting at barrel proof (low 130's).    ...And, the one we chose was especially nice at Barrel proof, with a very rich mouthfeel (which I expect will be lacking when we get the bottles).   Ah, well first-world-problems, I guess.   A fun and rewarding evening with several other interesting pours offered around after the selection  was completed.

Is the pick going to be bottled in liter bottles? That’s what we’re being offered in our area, and liters are almost always priced higher than they should be by the distributors.

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I like tasting it at barrel proof, but it’s frustrating to me to have to do all the work proofing it down, especially since that’s the only bottling option.

They should just send the samples proofed down , so you know what the final product will taste like.

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Is the pick going to be bottled in liter bottles? That’s what we’re being offered in our area, and liters are almost always priced higher than they should be by the distributors.

Short answer?   I don't know; but, I don't think so.   750's I'm guessing.   Very little in The Mitten State comes in anything other than 750's or a few in the Family size.   ...And, often some of the small stuff as well, I guess.

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

I like tasting it at barrel proof, but it’s frustrating to me to have to do all the work proofing it down, especially since that’s the only bottling option.

They should just send the samples proofed down , so you know what the final product will taste like.

I'm of two minds; but absolutely take your point.   I LIKE tasting the stuff unfiltered and BP; but it can be a PITA to do the proof-down, as you point out.   One other issue is that not every barrel takes water the same way.   Some maintain their integrity and most of their palate, nose and finish, albeit diminished; but, occasionally one can just about lose everything that made it a good pick when the bottles arrive at the standard bottling proof... basically a disaster! 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm of two minds; but absolutely take your point.   I LIKE tasting the stuff unfiltered and BP; but it can be a PITA to do the proof-down, as you point out.   One other issue is that not every barrel takes water the same way.   Some maintain their integrity and most of their palate, nose and finish, albeit diminished; but, occasionally one can just about lose everything that made it a good pick when the bottles arrive at the standard bottling proof... basically a disaster! 

Amen to that statement Rich!

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Isn't the final bottling still a blend of the Woodford pot still stuff with the BF column still stuff? What are you actually tasting when you pick? A blend at BP or a single barrel of the pot still?

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Isn't the final bottling still a blend of the Woodford pot still stuff with the BF column still stuff? What are you actually tasting when you pick? A blend at BP or a single barrel of the pot still?

usually 3 samples of 3 different blends(batches) at batch proof (barrel proof?).

same for double oak.

Rich is exactly right.  Some take water well, others not.  It’s not in the best interest to only try them at batch proof, because once diluted to 90.4p or whatever they do, (again, the only bottling option) they can change quite a bit.

example pic:

image.jpg

Edited by 0895

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

As 0895 said above the three samples we were sent were each blends of whatever batching the folx at Woodford decided to send out.   ...Which presents the question of why one was so strange compared to the other two, which were both decent and at least somewhat similar.   Who can say?   That 'de-selected' one was not good on the palate, and though the nose was "interesting", it wasn't very typical of any Bourbon aromas I'd call 'expected' for any brand with which I have experience.   So: Why?  ...No clue.

Charter 101 i think. I may have put something else in the pint bottle a while back. Its goes good with tamiflu.

• I like it 2

As 0895 said above the three samples we were sent were each blends of whatever batching the folx at Woodford decided to send out.   ...Which presents the question of why one was so strange compared to the other two, which were both decent and at least somewhat similar.   Who can say?   That 'de-selected' one was not good on the palate, and though the nose was "interesting", it wasn't very typical of any Bourbon aromas I'd call 'expected' for any brand with which I have experience.   So: Why?  ...No clue.

I was told that basically the goal with a store selection is to make it intentionally different than the regular shelf product.

So they intentionally send 3 different samples, to cover different preferences and so the store ends up with a “special” product bottling that suits them.

Two almost always end up being somewhat similar IMO (for whatever reason), and one is usually weird/not very good.  Seems almost like a game Woodford is playing.... let’s send these samples and see if the store can identify the crappy one... if they like the crappy one, send them extra bottles of Masters Collection at Christmas!

Some of the store selections can be very very good, but part of me thinks it’s a lot of luck.

• I like it 4

I can tell you exactly why. The crappy one was a blend of two barrels off the pot still. 

• I like it 2

4 yr SiB 107 KSBW labeled Ezra Brooks. 

This is sweet. After 4 sips I'm thinking it may be a little too sweet for me. FWIW the label is pretty sharp. 

I had ordered this bottle ($25) a few months ago. I has actually forgotten about it until my friend gave it to me today. 

20200219_220259.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

usually 3 samples of 3 different blends(batches) at batch proof (barrel proof?).

same for double oak.

Rich is exactly right.  Some take water well, others not.  It’s not in the best interest to only try them at batch proof, because once diluted to 90.4p or whatever they do, (again, the only bottling option) they can change quite a bit.

example pic:

image.jpg

Great info. I find it interesting that the bottle states that its contents were distilled by WR in Versailles but in fact part of that bottle was not distilled there.  At the distillery tour I went on, the guide did not seem happy about the blending questions I asked. He seemed to answer truthfully but glossed over it pretty quickly. They really like to paint the picture that everything in those bottles comes out of those 3 big, beautiful pot stills. 

• I like it 3

36 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Great info. I find it interesting that the bottle states that its contents were distilled by WR in Versailles but in fact part of that bottle was not distilled there.  At the distillery tour I went on, the guide did not seem happy about the blending questions I asked. He seemed to answer truthfully but glossed over it pretty quickly. They really like to paint the picture that everything in those bottles comes out of those 3 big, beautiful pot stills. 

Which is hilarious because those pot stills produce terrible whiskey.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.