What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1792 FP Binny's pick

ER Binny's pick

SAOS 5yr

Dickel BIB

Willet PSR

Sazerac Rye

and a few others I can't remember. 

Last year I probably would have been jumping on a few of these, but thanks to this site and trying to stick to my guns following TOT's guideline on bourbon purchases, it was easy leaving them behind walking right to the bottom shelf Old Bardstown (wife's new go to)  and walking to the register. I was offered the ER and 1792 on my way to pay as they had just arrived. I picked the Blanton's since I passed on the previous ones I've seen and really haven't seen any since. 

• I like it 2

Passed on these two, ouch. Though I was excited it is the first time I have even seen a Pappy. The GTS used to be sold retail at a nearby Canals. 20200201_164543.jpg

• I like it 2

Passed on a GTS at $250. It’s the best price I’ve seen but I don’t want to pay 2.5 retail on anything. 

1 hour ago, Double C's said:

passed on an OWA for $100.

Yeah, that seems to be the going rate my way as well. It is a definite pass.

EC18 for $300, whatever!  Popsicle stick dunked in ethanol. Nope. 

Booker's 30th for $500. Good bottle, but $500. Are you out of your ever luv'n mind?!?

Sigh

Cheers

Kentucky Owl Confiscated for $199.99.  Haven’t tried it but heard is sure wasn’t that good!

Passed on a 4R 2019 LE today @$150 because I had to also buy a MM PS @ $70 and another store pick. 

I’m not going to spend approximately $150 on two bottles I don’t want for one I do. And $150 for the 4R is silly. I went somewhere else and grabbed a bottle of GlenDronach 12 year for half the price. Just as good.

Edited by mal00768

30 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Passed on a 4R 2019 LE today @$150 because I had to also buy a MM PS @ $70 and another store pick. 

I’m not going to spend approximately $150 on two bottles I don’t want for one I do. And $150 for the 4R is silly. I went somewhere else and grabbed a bottle of GlenDronach 12 year for half the price. Just as good.

Oh you are saying the store was trying to bundle the 3 bottles? That's bullshit. I don't blame you one bit.

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Oh you are saying the store was trying to bundle the 3 bottles? That's bullshit. I don't blame you one bit.

Yup

Walked into a small store in the next county over and found a MM RC6 and Weller Antique on the shelf.  I thought I had found me a hidden gem of a store; the RC6 was priced at $105 and the Antique at $145....I left them both on the shelf.  I would have paid $60 for the RC6 and maybe $50 for the Antique.

• I like it 2

Not really in need of any McKenna right now. But it is nice to see them stacked deep again after being missing from many shelves for a while 

014DB80E-E139-400C-84E6-343E278A7B0B.jpeg

• I like it 2

went out of state to get my taxes done. made a few stops and nothing moved the needle. 
JB Extra Aged 8 year AS $32
Decades $159

Little Book 2 $150

Little Book 3 $150

wSR $99

OWA $149

GTS $499

Stranahans Black $150 wth

7 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

went out of state to get my taxes done. made a few stops and nothing moved the needle. 
JB Extra Aged 8 year AS $32
Decades $159

Little Book 2 $150

Little Book 3 $150

wSR $99

OWA $149

GTS $499

Stranahans Black $150 wth

You didn’t come all the way to northern Illinois to get your taxes done did you? :o

Biba! Joe

Said no when offered a Larceny BP today.  My one and only attempt with a regular bottle of Larceny resulted in the only drain pour I have ever done.  I didn't even want to offer it to any of my friends at that time.  My hope is that it makes someone else's day to get the newest Larceny.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You didn’t come all the way to northern Illinois to get your taxes done did you? :o

Biba! Joe

Actually the  other direction. Those prices look familiar?

18 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Actually the  other direction. Those prices look familiar?

Sadly, yes. Unfortunately we have our fair share of stores here whose prices are just a tad high. <_<

Biba! Joe

Mighty tempted by some WSR priced at $29.99 today, but resisted as I’ve got too many already bunkered......?

• I like it 2

People will probably think I’m crazy besides Flahute, but I’m just not a fan of regular larceny so I don’t think I will like the BP. I even tried a store pick from a very reputable store known for their picks but still didn’t like it. 

5AC86338-347D-426D-AD2F-EF5257ECCC8D.jpeg

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

People will probably think I’m crazy besides Flahute, but I’m just not a fan of regular larceny so I don’t think I will like the BP. I even tried a store pick from a very reputable store known for their picks but still didn’t like it. 

I tried a store pick a month or so ago, and I also found it boring. Another local just announced they have a 6yr 11mo pick for about $25. I'm tempted to give it a chance at that price. Worst case it gets poured for guests or for summer cocktails. 

• I like it 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:32 PM, JCwhammie said:

I tried a store pick a month or so ago, and I also found it boring. Another local just announced they have a 6yr 11mo pick for about $25. I'm tempted to give it a chance at that price. Worst case it gets poured for guests or for summer cocktails. 

Honestly I don't know what else to expect from a 92 proof, moderately aged $25 wheater.  Yes compared to true standouts like WT101 it will taste boring by comparison.  Maybe I just got lucky, but I like the store pick Larceny I have, and I wouldn't call myself a Larceny (or even a wheater) fanboy.  To my taste buds anyway, it beats Maker's Mark by a mile, and the slight  underlying oakiness makes it more balanced and preferable to WSR and WA107 too as an everyday sipper.  YMMV...

On 2/14/2020 at 11:23 PM, Adam777 said:

Saw my first bottle of Larceny BP in the wild today.  I would have pulled the trigger at $50.99, but not at $100.00

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.