What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few days ago I passed on two bottles of GTS at $699/piece. 

In other news, if you live in Bradenton, FL, have no regard for money, and LOVE GTS, pm me and I will tell you the location.

• I like it 2

Finally saw a Weller 12 in a store recently.  Priced at $229.  They also had a WSR for $129.  Way out of my price range, but I'd love to try the Weller 12 someday.

(Rye) Rows and Rows if WP Boss Hog for $499. Will never understand this pricing.  If you price it that high.. make it at least seem scarce. There was tons.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

(Rye) Rows and Rows if WP Boss Hog for $499. Will never understand this pricing.  If you price it that high.. make it at least seem scarce. There was tons.

This just makes me think they already know the details about their supply of older aged barrels and it's not good.

I have a PS of the 15 year and it's excellent. Overpriced yes, but when I'm actually tasting it I don't care.

Edited by Kepler

I ran across some of the new bottles of KC12 today. Priced at $60.99+tx, it was hard to wrap my head around  spending that kind of money on a 100 proof bottle, especially since they had some fine bottles of a KC store pick at $42, 120 proof, and around 13 YO within eyesight.  I know Beam can make a fine whiskey, I know they have to make money to keep the business going, and I've read the rationale for the marketing and pricing but the best bet for my money is to buy those store picks for the bunker while the getting is still good. They won't last forever but as always, good whiskey is meant for drinking.

Edited by Postal Grunt
  • I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Postal Grunt said:

I ran across some of the new bottles of KC12 today. Priced at $60.99+tx, it was hard to wrap my head around  spending that kind of money on a 100 proof bottle, especially since they had some fine bottles of a KC store pick at $42, 120 proof, and around 13 YO within eyesight.  I know Beam can make a fine whiskey, I know they have to make money to keep the business going, and I've read the rationale for the marketing and pricing but the best bet for my money is to buy those store picks for the bunker while the getting is still good. They won't last forever but as always, good whiskey is meant for drinking.

You are absolutely correct here. The KC12 is clearly planned for the days when the 12yr old and up single barrels are no longer in the program. It doesn't make it any less odd though to see them side by side in your store right now and as you stated the choice is quite easy.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Passed on Blantons and 1.75L of WSR both for 79.99... Yikes... Easy pass.

$79.99 seems to be the new normal for Blanton's around here, at least for store picks 

6 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Passed on Blantons and 1.75L of WSR both for 79.99... Yikes... Easy pass.

Reading this made me wonder how big and unwieldy a family sized Blanton's would be. (Maybe I need to either stop thinking or just keep my thoughts to myself?)

13 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Reading this made me wonder how big and unwieldy a family sized Blanton's would be. (Maybe I need to either stop thinking or just keep my thoughts to myself?)

I've heard the Blanton's bottle shape likened to the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch before.

A 1.75L would be Holy Bunker Buster of Antioch.

• I like it 3

Managed to hit up a few spots today.  Didn’t succumb to temptation, which was mostly an easy task.......

Spot #1:

Old Fitz 15yr BiB - $279.99

CEHT Rye - $89.99

Spot #2:

CEHT SiB - $120

WT Diamond Anniversary - $130

WT RB - $50

WT KS - $60

Blanton’s - $100

Spot #3:

WT MK 17yr - $164.99

1792 FP - $49.99 (tempted, but held off)

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I've heard the Blanton's bottle shape likened to the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch before.

A 1.75L would be Holy Bunker Buster of Antioch.

:D Nothing like a Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference to enhance the enjoyment of my PS John J. Bowman tonight

• I like it 1

Managed to hit up a few spots today.  Didn’t succumb to temptation, which was mostly an easy task.......

Spot #1:

Old Fitz 15yr BiB - $279.99
CEHT Rye - $89.99

Spot #2:

CEHT SiB - $120
WT Diamond Anniversary - $130
WT RB - $50
WT KS - $60
Blanton’s - $100

Spot #3:

WT MK 17yr - $164.99
1792 FP - $49.99 (tempted, but held off)
The 17y is drying up in my neck of the woods, I'm not sure I'd have been able to resist.

$79.99 seems to be the new normal for Blanton's around here, at least for store picks 
An $80 Blanton's store pick in my area would have folks lining up hours ahead of time and they'd be sold nearly instantly.

$150 is the norm around here, if you want to see it on the shelf after a week.

5 hours ago, jwperry said:

An $80 Blanton's store pick in my area would have folks lining up hours ahead of time and they'd be sold nearly instantly.

$150 is the norm around here, if you want to see it on the shelf after a week.

People will most definitely line up for it at the $80 price in our area if they have advance notice of it being put out on a shelf. You won't find me standing in any line to get a blanton's. If I stumble upon one at a normal price I may pick it up, but I don't lose any sleep on worrying about trying to get my next bottle of blanton's.

• I like it 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, FasterHorses said:

Was Dave Pickerell's idea to fight the secondary market.  Not saying it was/is a good strategy, but that's why it's priced that way.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:35 PM, FasterHorses said:

Which boss hog, that really makes a difference

Had a weather day at work and went home early yesterday, so I naturally ordered a pizza (tavern style) and while waiting for it I swung by the liquor store a few blocks away. Prices are actually very reasonable considering it's a standalone mom and pop (looking) store on the south end of downtown Chicago. I wasn't planning on buying, just wanted to check inventory and take notes....  found a OWA all by itself out on the shelf!!!! and it only had double digit price tag!!!  THought long and hard about it but left it anyways. I also passed on a couple store pick EC and a Larceny as well. I guess I just had pizza on the mind and couldn't do TBT math fast enough......

Went to the LS today to grab a bottle of white wine to cook with, and drink with dinner tonight. Had to show constraint and pass on a few notables:

CEHT Rye - $79.99

Willet Rye 4yr - $54.99

OF 1920 - $63.99

Regular BM - $35.99

WT RB - $39.99 (purchased many already at this price, but it's still tempting every time I'm there)

• I like it 1

On 2/27/2020 at 5:06 PM, JakeySnakes said:

Went to the LS today to grab a bottle of white wine to cook with, and drink with dinner tonight. Had to show constraint and pass on a few notables:

CEHT Rye - $79.99

Willet Rye 4yr - $54.99

OF 1920 - $63.99

Regular BM - $35.99

WT RB - $39.99 (purchased many already at this price, but it's still tempting every time I'm there)

I can't pass up a bottle of CEHT rye, but that is because it does not exist down here. I only find it when traveling out of state.

I passed on good retail-priced opportunities to buy Stagg Jr, Blanton's, and Eagle Rare.  OWA too, but I'm not a big fan.  I have enough of these bottles in my bunker and not in the mood to fight the Facebook group tater crowd anymore.  Bourbon Zen?  Maybe, just maybe.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I passed on good retail-priced opportunities to buy Stagg Jr, Blanton's, and Eagle Rare.  OWA too, but I'm not a big fan.  I have enough of these bottles in my bunker and not in the mood to fight the Facebook group tater crowd anymore.  Bourbon Zen?  Maybe, just maybe.

I'm sensing a little zen there.

While searching for a particular beer, for the better half, I stumbled upon  a few finger jugs of AAA 10 Star.

I've never tasted this brand. Anyone have an impression on this brand?  Thanks. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Grammar correction.

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

While searching for a particular beer, for the better half, I stumbled upon  a few finger jugs of AAA 10 Star.

I've never tasted this brand. Anyone have an impression on this brand?  Thanks. 

Cheers

Think baby Blanton’s.

It’s reasonably good for what it is, but remember you get what you pay for.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.