What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

While searching for a particular beer, for the better half, I stumbled upon  a few finger jugs of AAA 10 Star.

I've never tasted this brand. Anyone have an impression on this brand?  Thanks. 

Cheers

It's basically 3yr old mashbill #2. OK for what it is and the price. I use it to down proof Stagg Jr. when I come across a mediocre batch that doesn't take water well.

11 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

While searching for a particular beer, for the better half, I stumbled upon  a few finger jugs of AAA 10 Star.

I've never tasted this brand. Anyone have an impression on this brand?  Thanks. 

Cheers

IIRC, GaryT will tell you to buy it. Myself, eh, not so much. However, if you ever stumble onto some AAA 10yr...... that's another story

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Think baby Blanton’s.

It’s reasonably good for what it is, but remember you get what you pay for.

This.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:02 PM, rmoore926 said:

Finally saw a Weller 12 in a store recently.  Priced at $229.  They also had a WSR for $129.  Way out of my price range, but I'd love to try the Weller 12 someday.

Seeing WSR for anything over $40 these days is just beyond egregious 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, chippinNsippin said:

Seeing WSR for anything over $40 these days is just beyond egregious 

I paid $30 tax included for a WSR store pick recently and felt a bit of heartache over it, but I have never had a single barrel PS of WSR so I justified it in my mind.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

I paid $30 tax included for a WSR store pick recently and felt a bit of heartache over it, but I have never had a single barrel PS of WSR so I justified it in my mind.

Let us know what you think of it. The standard bottle is so so, not worth the hype IMO.

• I like it 3

On 3/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, Clueby said:

I can stomach $30 - esp for a store pick 

Saw one the other day for $70 in Atlanta - some  store owners are so dumb - less than a mile away it’s ~ $30 and pretty available most places 

Passed on Old Fitz 15 yr at $300 and Larceny BP at $70.  Considering going back tho as these don't seem like egregious markups.

1 hour ago, TheGentleman said:

Passed on Old Fitz 15 yr at $300 and Larceny BP at $70.  Considering going back tho as these don't seem like egregious markups.

The OF15 should be around $180? LBP is $50 ish.

2 hours ago, TheGentleman said:

Larceny was close but that's really high on the Old Fitz.

I passed on two yesterday. I had $50 left over from my February Bourbon Budget so I went in to pick up my first ever  Knob Creek Single Barrel. I saw that NC just got the standard expression of Belle Meade for $50, so I picked one of those up instead. I then noticed that HMcK10 was back in stock so I picked that up, put back the Belle Meade and left with $10 change in my pocket. 

• I like it 2

I passed on HM 10 @ $40, and Weller SR at $35. I don't like either of them enough to buy again, bought Stagg Jr instead.

12 hours ago, yobber76 said:

I passed on HM 10 @ $40, and Weller SR at $35. I don't like either of them enough to buy again, bought Stagg Jr instead.

The fact that you had those as normal options made me commit one of the seven deadly sins - envy.  None of those are on the shelf where I live and when they show up, they're gone in a flash.  That said, I too would buy Stagg Jr. at retail instead of HM 10 and/or WSR

This weekend I passed on GDBiB at 2 stores locally and at SRP. I have one and enjoy it very much but will defer until this years release for SBS vs. bunkering.

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

The fact that you had those as normal options made me commit one of the seven deadly sins - envy.  None of those are on the shelf where I live and when they show up, they're gone in a flash.  That said, I too would buy Stagg Jr. at retail instead of HM 10 and/or WSR

Weller SR is getting easier to find in the Chicago area

the HM 10 is not

i have developed a good relationship with one store this weekend they let me go in the back room and see what they have for the email club which I am part of 

I grabbed the Stagg Jr and a bottle of HH 7yr at $40

i like both of these better than the ones I didn’t take

Edited by yobber76

Local Costco had Rogue Dead Guy whiskey marked down to $19.97.  Aged in the ocean at least 2 years?  Still an easy No for me.

LLS had ETL for $142.01 OTD.  Again, that’s a Hard Pass for me.  

Now all you Steeler's fans, don't get on my case, because I like Terry Bradshaw as much as anybody.  I think he's very funny and straightforward on the Fox NFL show.  But . . . . . Terry Bradshaw Bourbon, aged in new oak barrels for "2 YEARS"  for the low, low price of $47.99!  Easy pass.

BRADSHAW 1.jpeg

BRADSHAW 2.jpeg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Now all you Steeler's fans, don't get on my case, because I like Terry Bradshaw as much as anybody.  I think he's very funny and straightforward on the Fox NFL show.  But . . . . . Terry Bradshaw Bourbon, aged in new oak barrels for "2 YEARS"  for the low, low price of $47.99!  Easy pass.

BRADSHAW 1.jpeg

BRADSHAW 2.jpeg

As a half-hearted Steeler fan and Pittsburgh native I wholeheartedly approve your decision.

Passed on an Elijah Craig 18. Unfortunately, didn't have an extra $140 in the budget this month. Made me very sad.

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

Passed on an Elijah Craig 18. Unfortunately, didn't have an extra $140 in the budget this month. Made me very sad.

That would have been a very hard pass for me. :(

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

Yeah I don't either but I still think I would've pulled the trigger.  I respect your sense of self-control lol.

Edited by PhantomLamb

Passed on KC12 yr @ ~$65 OTD.  We finally got the 9 yr. age statement back along with the 12.  Much like @BDanner I don't have money in the budget.

19 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yeah I don't either but I still think I would've pulled the trigger.  I respect your sense of self-control lol.

Oh, I was tempted. 

Redemption Rye Barrel Proof 7yr wax top $75. 123.2 proof. May revisit by end of week. 

Edited by FasterHorses

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.