What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

24 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Freshly cracked open ECBP C917. Boy this one is good.

RenderedI.jpg

I like that glass!

40 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I like that glass!

I just found two of them for 2 bucks at Goodwill today. This was my first pour using them.

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 3

42 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Not impressed....

363E4AC9-9736-497F-B1EA-73D5A53E0666.jpeg

Welcome to Masters Collection... 

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Welcome to Masters Collection... 

I was not impressed either.   The Batch Proof was really good, but I have to agree that most of the collection disappoints.

• I like it 2

Big family wedding this weekend in Nashville. I had squirreled away some bottles to bring and open for the family & new family. One particular bottle I felt would take a severe beating-and I was right. :) The others only dropped to the mid-point after night one. 

20yr Pappy

15yr OldFitz

18yr EC

Weller FP

ETL

Blanton's SFTB

Several that liked Blanton's but haven't had the SFTB were very much in love. And of course all the phones came out when we pulled the Pappy out of the red bag. Side note-One in attendance had two Pappy 20's on the bar as ornaments but had never tasted it? He paid way over secondary at charity events therefore building it up to be too good (in reality too expensive) to open and share with friends. My tip to him was to go home and open every sacred bottle he owned and begin enjoying and sharing. I hope my little speech opened his mind to the drinking of whiskey instead of the worship of his rare bottles.

Of course the main event was fantastic and the young bride was beautiful. Great reception afterwards with the fun lasting to 11. The whiskey tasting followed and went to almost 3am which was a huge accomplishment for all us old folks. Now back to the summer grind.

• I like it 18

There's work to be done. :D

Biba! Joe

DSC_0001.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Never tried the 90p version before.

Finally room on the shelf for this liter.

Yum.

24C6350A-079C-4373-B78B-FDC97D8520FA.jpeg

Nice!  I like that bottle.  I opened up an HHBIB 6 yr tonight.  Would have called it a day, but I’m enjoying sitting out front listening to the newly hatched cicadas singing away, too much.  I think today’s rain popped them out.  

93A1F7BA-1E0F-49B9-B5A3-7A05001DE4BE.jpeg

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, beasled said:

Opened a "baby Baker's"

Exactly how I would describe it!  Great value for under $20. 

• I like it 1

First time trying this.  Nice nose of caramel and vanilla.  A bit hot on the palate but I have a feeling it will vastly improve with some air time.  Pretty long finish.  $40 for 8 - 18yo blend is not too bad...

jefferson's very old.jpg

• I like it 1

A beautiful evening last night, deserved a new bottle, so I opened my Father Day's gift from my wife.  A bottle of ECBP B520.  It was a very sweet bourbon, that made the fantastic night and weather all the better.  Mouthfeel was thick, and the nose on the initial opening of the bottle was fantastic.  Not sure if it is better then the C919 I have open.  Maybe a SBS of both is in order soon.

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Turkey double crack!!

20200626_225851.jpg

Impressions of The BiB?  How about SBS?  Inquiring minds need to know :-))

Cheers

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Impressions of The BiB?  How about SBS?  Inquiring minds need to know :-))

I had my wife set up a blind. (the photo is just for looks, I had no idea which glass contained which whiskey when I took the photo).

I'll withhold final, ultimate judgement until l have multiple tastings (i guess a nod to Minnick's method, the Ascotted One, Lol). But for tonight's blind tasting alone I was very impressed with both of them but ultimately gave the edge to what turned out to be the Decades. It was just the more interesting pour for me tonight (had more going on, which is one of my favorite things when I drink Turkey, especially well aged Turkey).

Based on this first tasting, the MK BiB17 also impressed as very well-crafted whiskey and I will surely buy another backup bottle (probably more, hah) now that I've tasted it and definitely enjoyed it. But I think I'm not jumping to conclusions in saying that the encroaching tannins I'm experiencing tonight (assuming from the minimum 17 year old liquid) make it more of a "need to be in the mood for well aged whiskey" pour, compared to the Decades anyway.  Which with the Decades I find to be a tad more balanced in that way.  This will be my third or fourth Decades bottle opened, so I'm familiar with it.

However, I do have to say this about the BiB17, ... this pour is still much more balanced and better crafted than other "old-age" bourbons I've tasted like EC18 and PH24. I gave about $155 for this WTMK and I don't feel cheated one bit.  It's a pretty decent value in comparison to other bourbons of that age.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I had my wife set up a blind. (the photo is just for looks, I had no idea which glass contained which whiskey when I took the photo).

I'll withhold final, ultimate judgement until l have multiple tastings (i guess a nod to Minnick's method, the Ascotted One, Lol). But for tonight's blind tasting alone I was very impressed with both of them but ultimately gave the edge to what turned out to be the Decades. It was just the more interesting pour for me tonight (had more going on, which is one of my favorite things when I drink Turkey, especially well aged Turkey).

Based on this first tasting, the MK BiB17 also impressed as very well-crafted whiskey and I will surely buy another backup bottle (probably more, hah) now that I've tasted it and definitely enjoyed it. But I think I'm not jumping to conclusions in saying that the encroaching tannins I'm experiencing tonight (assuming from the minimum 17 year old liquid) make it more of a "need to be in the mood for well aged whiskey" pour, compared to the Decades anyway.  Which with the Decades I find to be a tad more balanced in that way.  This will be my third or fourth Decades bottle opened, so I'm familiar with it.

However, I do have to say this about the BiB17, ... this pour is still much more balanced and better crafted than other "old-age" bourbons I've tasted like EC18 and PH24. I gave about $155 for this WTMK and I don't feel cheated one bit.  It's a pretty decent value in comparison to other bourbons of that age.

Thank you for a detailed and thoughtful response. The Decades is hard to top. I agree on Decades balance.  It is excellent in my opinion   

I'm like you, I will add The 17yr BiB to my collection, when the opportunity arises. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Not worth paying tater prices for, but if you have a Japanese connection... get one.

If you enjoy regular 80p 4R, then this is the next step up.  Light, Fruity, and refreshing.  Perfect summertime sipping!

C2D6B430-F4A3-4B38-B031-D9AF398CC20D.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.