What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

21 hours ago, Mattk said:

How was it? I'm basically  just a rye guy but been thinking about getting it for a bourbon sipping beauty I know. Last I seen she was drinking Booker's.

It's delicious, as I'm sure others here would agree! If you can find it for a decent price pick one up! 

Opened a bottle of Weller FP to pour a sample for a friend, and just had to pour a glass for myself.  Could not resist, but at least I took the neck pour and gave him the second one.

• I like it 1

For reasons I've never quite been able to figure out, this is still a favorite of mine. Has some nice rye and cinnamon spice along with peach and citrus. Tonight it's almost IPA like with the fruit being more forward than I remember. IMHO, this whiskey was a helluva deal in its time and it's a shame people newer to bourbon won't be able to experience it.

AAA.jpg

• I like it 12

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

this whiskey was a helluva deal in its time and it's a shame people newer to bourbon won't be able to experience it.

Just post your address and problem solved!  ?

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Just post your address and problem solved!  ?

Here ya go:

666 Nowayinhell Lane

Rockford, IL 69069

:D

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 8

47 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Here ya go:

666 Nowayinhell Lane

Rockford, IL 69069

You live in my old house!

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Here ya go:

666 Nowayinhell Lane

Rockford, IL 69069

49 minutes ago, Clueby said:

You live in my old house!

Also my ex girlfriend’s place...

• I like it 2

On 5/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, fosmith said:

How many pairs of shoes and purses does she have???  ?

With my wife it would be how many camera bodies/lenses.

With my daughter it definitely would be shoes.  When I helped move her out of college housing many years go I quit counting at 45 pairs.  For doing well in junior high she wanted a pair of Doc Marten boots that were bright green with multicolored daises on them.  Recently she posted a picture of herself in those boots and her daughter with matching boots.  It was great for my soul to know that she still had those boots.

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

With my wife it would be how many camera bodies/lenses.

I have a Nikon that I got late last year. Still trying to figure it out a little. Will?  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I have a Nikon that I got late last year. Still trying to figure it out a little. Will?  ;)

Biba! Joe

My wife shoots Nikon.  There's a certain camera body that she likes that isn't their high end but she certainly made of for that savings with lenses.  There comes a point in time to no longer need to ask questions.

• I like it 1

It's 10:30 pm here in the UK and I've opened a bottle of Woodford Reserve, my fifth Bourbon as a novice. I read the tasting notes on the WR website and I have to say, with a neat Oz I recognised everything it says. On the nose  oranges, floral notes, tobacco and even the dusting of cocoa. On the palate I can even detect the cinnamon which is dominant for me.

This is the first time I've been able to discern specific obscure smells and flavours. Previously I've only been able to get caramel, vanilla and oak so I think my nose and palate is starting to open up.

I'm now finishing the night off with 2 Oz of BT over a huge ice cube. Lovely.....

• I like it 3

It's always a good day when you open a bottle of WT and today it was RR 10 90. I love this whiskey, what a great everyday pour ?

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

It's always a good day when you open a bottle of WT and today it was RR 10 90. I love this whiskey, what a great everyday pour ?

I concur.

The new Bottle of the Month topic inspired me.  So the 1920 is because of that, and the 1897, well ... just because it was there!

20200516_234822_001.jpg

• I like it 5

Went into the bunker, found a Willett Pot Still single barrel.  The WSP SiB was my 1st SiB. It has been many years since I have tasted this bottling.  I'm happy to report, you can go home again.  This barrel is darn good. No wet cardboard here. 

Cheers

Well, last week I decided to open my last bottle of Russell’s Reserve 1998.  I was fortunate to be able to buy two of them at retail when it was released in 2015.  What better time to open it, with COVID-19 upon us.  It’s exactly how I remember it tasting, which is to say a very rich and flavorful version of Russell’s Reserve.

365FBBF0-20B2-4B5B-8579-4769E5C711EA.jpeg

• I like it 9

On 5/17/2020 at 10:00 AM, Jazz Nut said:

Well, last week I decided to open my last bottle of Russell’s Reserve 1998.  I was fortunate to be able to buy two of them at retail when it was released in 2015.  What better time to open it, with COVID-19 upon us.  It’s exactly how I remember it tasting, which is to say a very rich and flavorful version of Russell’s Reserve.

365FBBF0-20B2-4B5B-8579-4769E5C711EA.jpeg

Speaking of a Covid-19 Opening...

Saturday I was social distance drinking with a couple buddies when I got a wild hair to open an old George T Stagg.

I had to dig deep, as I had done my level best to hide it from myself.

128.2 looks like the 2013 release. 

If I hadn't found it so late in the boozy evening I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it more.  but hey, now it's open I can revisit...

Cheers,

RW

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, RWBadley said:

Saturday I was social distance drinking with a couple buddies when I got a wild hair to open an old George T Stagg.

If I hadn't found it so late in the boozy evening I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it more.  but hey, now it's open I can revisit...

Cheers,

RW

When it first came out it was met with an utter lack of enthusiasm due to the low proof. It's really damn good though and has fared very well in some double blind tastings I've been a part of.

• I like it 1

On 5/18/2020 at 5:19 PM, RWBadley said:

Cheers,

RW

That is great!  I totally understand the late night boozy evening openings of rare bottles (I do it occasionally with bourbon, but more so with wine).  At least with bourbon, you can enjoy it for many days/months/years to come (as opposed to wine)!  Interested to hear your thoughts on that release!

Opened the JDSBBP and it's every bit as good as I've heard (read). Rich butterscotch, brown sugar, maple syrup, pipe tobacco, and some chocolate covered banana on the finish. May grab another while it's still on sale at my LS.

IMG_0096.jpg

• I like it 3

Popped an OF 9y. This is my first time with this one. Really good. 
648B172D-4D04-4199-ABEF-FF1F079BD925.thumb.jpeg.9c71341d787b56f1c6ccfe612840555f.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 5/20/2020 at 6:54 PM, JakeySnakes said:

Opened the JDSBBP and it's every bit as good as I've heard (read). Rich butterscotch, brown sugar, maple syrup, pipe tobacco, and some chocolate covered banana on the finish. May grab another while it's still on sale at my LS.

IMG_0096.jpg

I need to revisit one of these blind. I can't get past the name. Just seeing JD on a bottle makes me taste rotten bananas.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.