What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

And even my online resources are out of stock or can no longer ship to MO??

WTF????  ? ER is good, but in no way, shape or form should it be a lottery item, locked away in a glass case, or be a stashed behind the counter item. I guess those asshats that give out glowing reviews and shiny medals really don't have a f**king clue as to just how much their actions can affect things in the bourbon world. "Your XYZ  bourbon has just been awarded a gold medal." And the price just doubled or tripled. ?Here's a new saying. "Cater to the Tater's." Forget all about us true bourbon lovers/nerds that have been here supporting and loving bourbon for a while now. Here, hold this for me. ?

I apologize for the rant. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 9

I got my work finished early today and since I start at 6:30am most weekdays I don't feel the least bit guilty when I decide to start a "happy hour" a little early, like today.

So I cracked open a dusty JB Black 8 Year and didn't  expect much this time. The last one I had was subpar but the one before that one was great.

Happy to discover that this one is great! SUPERB even.

I originally had this bottle earmarked for freezer duty but this one is too balanced and complex to mute these flavors in the freezer. Gotta let it go free.

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I got my work finished early today and since I start at 6:30am most weekdays I don't feel the least bit guilty when I decide to start a "happy hour" a little early, like today.

So I cracked open a dusty JB Black 8 Year and didn't  expect much this time. The last one I had was subpar but the one before that one was great.

Happy to discover that this one is great! SUPERB even.

I originally had this bottle earmarked for freezer duty but this one is too balanced and complex to mute these flavors in the freezer. Gotta let it go free.

Our hobby is filled with good, bad, ugly, indifferent, so-so, meh, and many other classifications and descriptors. Your find falls into the not oft used “every once in a while“. ? Nice Kepler.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Opened this last night and was impressed.  Much better than I remember my last bottle of NAS being.  But what really amazed me was that the pull tab came off without scattering wax fragments all over the kitchen.  All that came off is what you see in the photo.  Seems that Beam is really upping their game! 

KC 9 wax.jpg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, fosmith said:

Opened this last night and was impressed.  Much better than I remember my last bottle of NAS being.  But what really amazed me was that the pull tab came off without scattering wax fragments all over the kitchen.  All that came off is what you see in the photo.  Seems that Beam is really upping their game! 

I opened a fresh KC120 yesterday and had to dig the wax open since the pull tab just broke completely off. I had to get down under it to find the tape, cut thru the tape to get an end and finally pull it open. I had about 5 times the amount of pieces you have.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

I opened a fresh KC120 yesterday and had to dig the wax open since the pull tab just broke completely off. I had to get down under it to find the tape, cut thru the tape to get an end and finally pull it open. I had about 5 times the amount of pieces you have.

I guess that's why they say "Your Mileage May Vary."  ?

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

I opened a fresh store pick KC120 yesterday as well and had no issues. The wax seemed more pliable than I remember, but this bottle has been in my bunker for about 2 years so its not a recent bottling.

8 hours ago, Double C's said:

I opened a fresh store pick KC120 yesterday as well and had no issues. The wax seemed more pliable than I remember, but this bottle has been in my bunker for about 2 years so its not a recent bottling.

Since we're discussing our wax experiences; I opened a KC SiB Rye yesterday and the tab was easy to pull and no wax mess. Usually I'm fighting those just to pull the tab.

My thing with opening KC is the cork is so tight.  OGD can be that way too.  Plus the top of the closure is smooth plastic, nearly no way to get a good grip.

Sounds like you guys need to just stick to screw caps.

Wouldn't want any of you to break a nail.  ?

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 4

-Still 80p

-Still $15/bottle 

-Still looked down upon by bourbon douches chasing only LE’s and the next “big thing”

-Still one of my favorites.

Enjoying this beautiful fall day off work!

?

D0B01C09-A041-451A-B1F0-6FD6AE305CCE.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 5

6 minutes ago, 0895 said:

-Still looked down upon by bourbon douches chasing only LE’s and the next “big thing"

D0B01C09-A041-451A-B1F0-6FD6AE305CCE.jpeg

? sounds about right!

Today at lunch I decided to buy some black walnut bitters so I can make one of the maple old fashioned @flahute was talking about the other day. I may use 4RYL in lieu of 4R SmB. 

31 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

? sounds about right!

Today at lunch I decided to buy some black walnut bitters so I can make one of the maple old fashioned @flahute was talking about the other day. I may use 4RYL in lieu of 4R SmB. 

You are in for a treat my friend. 

19 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Thank you bunker! This gem is being opened because it’s Thursday....

image.png.0b3ea66ed9c2363a06ae6595edb6d530.png

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

image.png.0b3ea66ed9c2363a06ae6595edb6d530.png

That’s good B) you’ll have to bribe me to post in the show me your stash thread....

1 minute ago, jvd99 said:

That’s good B) you’ll have to bribe me to post in the show me your stash thread....

Some days, I just can’t win. :mellow:

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Now we're talking.  You just gave me an idea for this weekend.

Intrigued.  Expect a full report.

A bit of Batch 23 tonight. Can't seem to get current. Magnus just released 29-34 and 23 just hit my store. And of course a cigar to smoke with it

IMG_20201028_151222_856.jpg

• I like it 10

Moved today. Very excited to re-build the bar now with infinite more space!

E0C56853-BC09-4929-BEEF-EF181B2F3FE2.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 10

On 10/27/2020 at 10:49 PM, flahute said:

Intrigued.  Expect a full report.

Just a little game of eeny meeny miny moe with classic SAOS SiB. Been awhile since I had one of these opened. Getting ready to fix that.

20201030_224157.jpg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.