What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought and cracked the Woodinville yesterday. I have to say I’m impressed. It is a little Wild Turkey-esque to me but softer. And with WT on the mind followed up with some Rare Breed.

A6175E27-A8B1-4819-8D0B-86C5061C91F8.jpeg

8F60C6F2-248B-4C7F-86E7-E23CEE297732.jpeg

• I like it 1

KC 12 YR 100 proof neat while getting psyched to do the dishes.  Dinner was grilled Omaha Steaks filets with garden green beans and rice pilaf (wine was a premium Chianti left over from a rich dinner four nights ago) followed by fresh cherries and peach chunks sweetened with a drizzle of Tuaca so clean-up will be quick and easy.

• I like it 4

8 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

KC 12 YR 100 proof neat while getting psyched to do the dishes.  Dinner was grilled Omaha Steaks filets with garden green beans and rice pilaf (wine was a premium Chianti left over from a rich dinner four nights ago) followed by fresh cherries and peach chunks sweetened with a drizzle of Tuaca so clean-up will be quick and easy.

Harry, I'm intrigued by the 12yr KC SmB. Would you say it's worthy of purchase if an 11-14yr KC SiB PS pick is available at $5 cheaper? I realize there has been a pretty good bit of variance in the SiB. I'm hoping the 12yr SmB rounds the edges and is more refined/balanced than the oft times heavily oaked SiB. 

It has been a long day. So I'm winding down with a nice pour of 2017 4R SmB. Very enjoyable. 

I'm glad I have a bunkered bottle for someday in the future. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

Went out to dinner with the wife earlier, and enjoyed a nice old fashioned with Bulleit rye, pre dinner.  The seared ahi tuna was nice.  Now home and watching an old movie, Rebel Without a Cause.

Poured a little store pick Larceny to warm up, now sipping some OF 1897 which is working just fine.  I guess I should be drinking Rebel Yell 10yr considering the movie.  I hope they don't ban the Rebel Yell label, wouldn't surprise me given all the other ridiculous nonsense going on.

• I like it 5

The  4R is working well, so another pour of 4R 2017 SmB it is. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt

10 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Harry, I'm intrigued by the 12yr KC SmB. Would you say it's worthy of purchase if an 11-14yr KC SiB PS pick is available at $5 cheaper? I realize there has been a pretty good bit of variance in the SiB. I'm hoping the 12yr SmB rounds the edges and is more refined/balanced than the oft times heavily oaked SiB. 

For years, I avoided "older" bourbons which I almost always found hot, too oaky for me, and not very complex.  The WT MK series got me to rethink my bias.  Because I really like basic KC and have been lucky with several store picks of it at various proofs and ages, I bought the KC 12 on impulse.  It does round edges even compared to basic KC and does not have an overwhelming oak element.  It has a nice mix of flavors.  While it does not have the WOW! feature appearing in the occasional SiB (thinking of you, HMcK 10), I expect that, as a mix of barrels, it will avoid the "Ah, man, I coulda picked an EC BP," downer.  One takes one's chances or one can hedge one's bet with an extra $5.  But then, I really like the KC profile so I, myself, would throw in the $5 just to be sure.

ASIDE - I don't THINK I overthought this.:blink:

• I like it 5

One of my favorite hot weather drinks.  

Ice cold Mellow Corn, poured over an insulated mug, packed with ice, and topped off with Reed's ginger beer.

20200621_181536.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

One of my favorite hot weather drinks.  

Ice cold Mellow Corn, poured over an insulated mug, packed with ice, and topped off with Reed's ginger beer.

20200621_181536.jpg

So, does this rip-off of a Stormy Weather/Moscow Mule have a name?  How about, "Summer Fling" or "Beach Bunny Bingo"??

• I like it 4

Found an unusual ER10.  I've been drinking ER10 for almost 40 years and found flavor usually consistent bottle to bottle.  This one is different.  Sweeter.  Like flavored water.  Not complex nor lingering after, but nice, refined, "gentlemanly"  I'm not sure the difference, perhaps a higher rye??  I'd never guess it in blind taste test for sure.  Pleasant change o' pace.

20 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

So, does this rip-off of a Stormy Weather/Moscow Mule have a name?  How about, "Summer Fling" or "Beach Bunny Bingo"??

Not sure, but I like both of those names!

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

Found an unusual ER10.  I've been drinking ER10 for almost 40 years and found flavor usually consistent bottle to bottle.  This one is different.  Sweeter.  Like flavored water.  Not complex nor lingering after, but nice, refined, "gentlemanly"  I'm not sure the difference, perhaps a higher rye??  I'd never guess it in blind taste test for sure.  Pleasant change o' pace.

What is a regular or PS bottle? There has been speculation that occasionally a MB2 barrel gets bottled as ER. I've had at least one that would definitely fit that profile. 

• I like it 1

Finished off Father’s Day with a SBS of ‘18 vs ‘19. ‘19 drank a couple proof points lower but the finish was shorter .

B22AE302-6B39-4A23-9847-63E4FDDF6E5D.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 6/21/2020 at 10:30 PM, Clueby said:

...There has been speculation that occasionally a MB2 barrel gets bottled as ER. I've had at least one that would definitely fit that profile. 

Wow, that's stroke of genius.  Wish I'd seen your post earlier.  I spent time with that ER10 again tonight and certain it's different, and some AAA, but not sure I'm up to digging out some old quality mb2 now.  I'll do that tomorrow as a project; you just might have hit nail on head!

Not having anything to drink just yet, but I have a distinct feeling that some of my 2018 Weller Blend will find its way into my glass later on this evening. ^_^ I have a little work to do first. :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 6/21/2020 at 10:30 PM, Clueby said:

...There has been speculation that occasionally a MB2 barrel gets bottled as ER. I've had at least one that would definitely fit that profile. 

Dude, I owe you one.  Without your comment I probably would not understand what I have.  I pulled a 1/3 gone deteriorating cork 2007 Blanton's which was near spot on to my mystery ER10 though less flavorful.  Worried about congeners loss, I opened fresh a 2014 Rock Hill Farms which was similar but more bite.  Of the 3, I liked my ER10  best. This flavor I identified as rye, my ER10 was strongest.  Be it mb2 or extra shovels of rye into mb1 this ER10 unique.  I've marked and saved the bottle to share with connoisseur friends.

24 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

Dude, I owe you one.  Without your comment I probably would not understand what I have.  I pulled a 1/3 gone deteriorating cork 2007 Blanton's which was near spot on to my mystery ER10 though less flavorful.  Worried about congeners loss, I opened fresh a 2014 Rock Hill Farms which was similar but more bite.  Of the 3, I liked my ER10  best. This flavor I identified as rye, my ER10 was strongest.  Be it mb2 or extra shovels of rye into mb1 this ER10 unique.  I've marked and saved the bottle to share with connoisseur friends.

I don't get the credit. It's the folks on here that have shared that info in the past. Someone had even shared a pic of a barrel head attesting to that fact I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

From the bunker, just a small taste of Old Scout private selection, Go Big Blue, from Lawrenceburg, KY stores.  Barrel #772, 57.2% ABV.  I believe their first private barrel pick.  I bought it in Oct 2014.

(Life is not always this good.  I usually buy inexpensive stuff nowadays.)

• I like it 1

Been having regular old Henry McKenna as a daily sipper and I'm blown away every time.  Dirt cheap here in PA, $20 for a handle and a fairly complex nose with a decent finish.  

13 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Been having regular old Henry McKenna as a daily sipper and I'm blown away every time.  Dirt cheap here in PA, $20 for a handle and a fairly complex nose with a decent finish.  

I assume you're talking about the 80 proof version, not the bottled in bond.

We see that in Indiana now and then.  I've had it a couple times, but not recently.  Most of the stuff from HH I find good.

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

I assume you're talking about the 80 proof version, not the bottled in bond.

We see that in Indiana now and then.  I've had it a couple times, but not recently.  Most of the stuff from HH I find good.

Indeed, not the hyped up BIB version although that is very good too!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.