What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I posted a while back about how I was very disappointed with my WT Stampede 55, but I've now found the solution......add some WTRB. This afternoon mixed up a 3:1 batch (3 parts Stampede with 1 part WTRB) and it is really, really good! Added a splash of water and it's even better ?

• I like it 4

Decided to keep the dusty drinking ongoing. I'm tasting a little vanilla with a little caramel mixed. This is the second bottle of this i have opened and one thing is very apparent, the youth. Very yeast forward. Nevertheless, a decent pour.

20200616_195114.jpg

• I like it 3

Bought 2 RRPS tonight and cracked both of them. One was an Ohio Barrel Pick and the other from my local and from Camp Nelson. I’ll compare to one of my favorites that Eddie picked himself from my local. Just a RR kind of night. Started the palate with some WT101. Cheers!

06439BE3-04AC-4A27-BAA5-868A22617F75.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I posted a while back about how I was very disappointed with my WT Stampede 55, but I've now found the solution......add some WTRB. This afternoon mixed up a 3:1 batch (3 parts Stampede with 1 part WTRB) and it is really, really good! Added a splash of water and it's even better ?

I like when blends help improve less than favorable bourbons.   I would say the sum is better than the parts but WTRB alone is usually pretty good.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I like when blends help improve less than favorable bourbons.   I would say the sum is better than the parts but WTRB alone is usually pretty good.

I agree with both points, especially that WTRB is very good on its own. I'm not big on experimenting with blending, but I really wanted to make the Stampede work for me. My logic in trying this blend is that WTRB is readily available, reasonably priced, and I had an open bottle to play with. Did a quick SBS with the blend vs straight WTRB and have to honestly say I preferred the blend by a slight margin. The difference was that the blend had a little of that old bourbon flavor that I'm attracted to. Not trying to say it's as good as say WT12 CGF or split label, but it leaned that direction. I won't blend using an LE, hard to find, or expensive bottle as that seems insane.

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I agree with both points, especially that WTRB is very good on its own. I'm not big on experimenting with blending, but I really wanted to make the Stampede work for me. My logic in trying this blend is that WTRB is readily available, reasonably priced, and I had an open bottle to play with. Did a quick SBS with the blend vs straight WTRB and have to honestly say I preferred the blend by a slight margin. The difference was that the blend had a little of that old bourbon flavor that I'm attracted to. Not trying to say it's as good as say WT12 CGF or split label, but it leaned that direction. I won't blend using an LE, hard to find, or expensive bottle as that seems insane.

As if I have ever seen a bottle of WT Stampede 55.  I have read about it.  I guess that almost makes it a fairy tale in my world.

Last night was some GW4G that I was given as a sample.  I'm going to have to search and find the recipe for that.  Followed that with some KC SiB PS from Kroger and finished the night with Willett Pot Still.

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Last night was some GW4G that I was given as a sample.  I'm going to have to search and find the recipe for that.  Followed that with some KC SiB PS from Kroger and finished the night with Willett Pot Still.

3xWSR:2×OGD114. You're welcome!  ?

20200527_194432.jpg

Edited by GeeTen
Added pic!
  • I like it 2

27 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

You ‘da man Frank.You ‘da man.^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

20200527_194432.jpg

I've always done 50:50 but I'll have to try this blend.

• I like it 1

Household chores done early. Appointment with financial adviser taken care of. The same with the accountant that does our taxes. As a bit of a coincidence, my son finished work early and picked up the grandkids an hour or so ago. Ahhhhh quiet time. I’m on my second pour of my recently purchased ps OF SiB. Man is this a goodun’.  I know several members here that can probably sympathize with me when I say that I really don’t need any more bourbon, but this is one that I maybe, possibly, should, might, positively, would be an idiot if I didn’t buy a couple more bottles of. Wheeeeeeeeew. ?  Looks like I’m probably gonna be headed to the store tomorrow. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I've always done 50:50 but I'll have to try this blend.

The 2/3 to 1/3 blend is significantly better IMO 

Today, I got an email from TPS advertising their new App and encouraging me to load it. For whatever reason it reminded me of a long time Party Source employee, John Hughes, who passed away a few years after a long bout with cancer. John was a very personal dude who was always a helpful and happy person. He made several SB picks of various bourbons from different distilleries during his last year. This is what I'm drinking tonight. Very drinkable at 120.6 

Prost !  Phil 

15924410658475940916667284192775.thumb.jpg.4b5c0a8182fafe08f6bfefcb66d77674.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 4

Rough day at work, but a good run afterward helped a lot. Decided on something easy and sweet so a glass of EC18 is hitting the spot. 

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Household chores done early. Appointment with financial adviser taken care of. The same with the accountant that does our taxes. As a bit of a coincidence, my son finished work early and picked up the grandkids an hour or so ago. Ahhhhh quiet time. I’m on my second pour of my recently purchased ps OF SiB. Man is this a goodun’.  I know several members here that can probably sympathize with me when I say that I really don’t need any more bourbon, but this is one that I maybe, possibly, should, might, positively, would be an idiot if I didn’t buy a couple more bottles of. Wheeeeeeeeew. ?  Looks like I’m probably gonna be headed to the store tomorrow. ?

Biba! Joe

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Now you know why." I probably should have posted this in the "What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today?" thread, but what the hey....

We stopped at Meijer while out and about today. They had BT on sale for $21.49. I bought the last one on the shelf. We also stopped at another store to pick up another ps OF SiB. I was even given the thumbs up on both purchases from my wonderful wife. "Sure, it's okay. Happy Father's Day. Don't expect a card." ? Happy Fathers Day to me!

Biba! Joe

DSC_0007 2.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 6/17/2020 at 2:15 PM, GeeTen said:

20200527_194432.jpg

Thank you kind sir.  I've got an empty bottle ready to fill with this.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Now you know why." I probably should have posted this in the "What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today?" thread, but what the hey....

We stopped at Meijer while out and about today. They had BT on sale for $21.49. I bought the last one on the shelf. We also stopped at another store to pick up another ps OF SiB. I was even given the thumbs up on both purchases from my wonderful wife. "Sure, it's okay. Happy Father's Day. Don't expect a card." ? Happy Fathers Day to me!

Biba! Joe

DSC_0007 2.jpeg

I've been largely unimpressed with the OF line with the exception of 1920 and a OFSiB ps my local got about a year back.  The latter had a distinct milk-chocolate note to it that I thought was very out-of-character for bourbon, but decidedly delicious in the bouquet of that particular barrel.  Really wish I'd picked up a backup or two as its long gone now.  If you're enjoying the first you got, then good thinking in getting a second!   

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Moderators, please move this to the proper thread, oh, wait a minute........ 

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

19 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Moderators, please move this to the proper thread, oh, wait a minute........ 

Here, hold this for me Gary. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

When I have a pour, I'll usually have something different from night to night, or sometimes different pours in the same night. I've been sticking with this one since I opened it. Yessir, I'm sure glad I bought another one. ? :D

Biba! Joe

DSC_0008.jpeg

• I like it 1

Poured a wee bit of Old Forester Signature to deaden the discomfort of some dental work this afternoon.   Worked as expected... as long as I kept a little of it wetting that area.   However, after swallowing the pain returned within a few minutes.     So, I just had to keep re-treating that darned tooth!    ...And, it kept working ...on a temporary basis.   Eventually, it began to work more and more 'permanently'.   ...At least it seems 'permanent' for the moment. HA!

• I like it 3

Went in today and cleared out my office.  Turned in my badge and keys.  I guess it is official.  I’m retired.

When I got home I put on a big pot of vegetable beef soup dinner.  Turned out to be an excellent rendition.

Now, time to sit back with a 1792 BiB and figure out what is next in my life.

Cheers all!

A8055E05-F02C-427E-90BD-3C6F4D797C7F.jpeg

• I like it 13

Haven’t posted in a while, good to be back. Here in NJ, the BT Kosher whiskies have hit and I gave both bourbons a try. They are completely average. The 7 year age statement is nice, but the low proof hurts it. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.