What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

First post?  Welcome to the forum.  Boiler?  Purdue Grad?

First post. Thanks for the welcome. Lurked for some time and decided to finally join. I am a Purdue grad.

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Lastly, the Woodinville PS 113.6 pf caught my eye an I couldn’t say no. 

I don't think you'll regret that purchase.  A Bay Area store that I frequent had a PS cask strength Woodinville and it was great.  Wish I'd gotten more than one and of course they're sold out now... 

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Okay, who’s gonna start the pool?  ?

Biba! Joe

Hmmm I think the line on this would be similar to those 28 point college underdog money lines:

Does not buy bourbon for 30 days: +8,000

Buys Bourbon within 30 days: -10,000, but after millions are wagered with no action on the other side the line moves to "OFF"

Keep 'em coming NTF!  Makes me think fondly back to my early days of canvassing the neighborhoods and making an extra stop or two whenever in a new area.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Hmmm I think the line on this would be similar to those 28 point college underdog money lines:

Does not buy bourbon for 30 days: +8,000

Buys Bourbon within 30 days: -10,000, but after millions are wagered with no action on the other side the line moves to "OFF"

Keep 'em coming NTF!  Makes me think fondly back to my early days of canvassing the neighborhoods and making an extra stop or two whenever in a new area.  

Kinda cracks me up. This photo was my collection 4 months ago. I’m sitting about 250+ bottles deep now and have one of those magic places people speak of “Bunkers”.

CEBB00FE-4BED-4ADA-9F82-B4FAEB4795D7.jpeg

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Kinda cracks me up. This photo was my collection 4 months ago. I’m sitting about 250+ bottles deep now and have one of those magic places people speak of “Bunkers”.

You've bought 200 bottles in the last 4 months?!  I am hearing from a lot of bourbon guys that their buying went WAY up recently.  A lot of seems to be more availability of scarce bottles due to restaurants being closed.  Personally I've only bought maybe 5 or 6 bottles since March.

10 minutes ago, Clueby said:

You've bought 200 bottles in the last 4 months?!  I am hearing from a lot of bourbon guys that their buying went WAY up recently.  A lot of seems to be more availability of scarce bottles due to restaurants being closed.  Personally I've only bought maybe 5 or 6 bottles since March.

10 minutes ago, Clueby said:

If I find a hobby I enjoy, I seem to go all the way with it. I’m not someone who clears shelves, but I do large purchases when the prices are right. Bought nearly 20x 1.75 of WT 101 because they were less than $20 otd. Same when I found BT 1.75’s for $33. It’s just as fun of a hunt as it cracking a new bottle to me. 

• I like it 4

We hit a small Virginia ABC store today near Wash DC after grocery shopping (which wasn't too bad or hectic or disappointing) and sort of stocked up.  We went in for multiple if average wines, basic tequila, and Bombay Sapphire gin to replenish our basic stock.  I also put three OGD BIB 750s (to ensure I will have some near me for at least two more weeks:D) and a WT 101 handle in the mix.  As fishing is permissible and because WT101 is what's in my tackle box flask, I just NEEDED the handle.

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Bought nearly 20x 1.75 of WT 101 because they were less than $20 otd.

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I also put three OGD BIB 750s (to ensure I will have some near me for at least two more weeks:D) and a WT 101 handle in the mix.

Who's house do I visit first? No slam Fancy but I'm headed to DC because of what's in the truck too!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:08 AM, GTStagg said:

I wish I could find 3 more. The lone bottle I got is down to the bottom third. I was able to get multiples of the last few batches, but the a120 was a rarity here.

Same in Virginia.  It may have sold out faster, but we didn't seem to get as many as we did of the three prior batches.

Bought 3 bottles of WB Saffell online from a NY retailer that ships to CA.  I'm thrilled as I've never seen it for sale here. 

• I like it 4

Picked up a few Knob Creek Single Barrels from Ace Spirits today.  One was an Ace Spirits selection at 14 years, fairly good balance for an older bourbon.  Pretty tasty stuff!  The other bottle was a barrel selected by a great Italian restaurant in town, called Bar La Grassa, not sure how Ace Spirits got this one (maybe COVID-19 related—restaurants being closed??), at any rate this one is just over 9 years old.  What a great balanced bourbon this is!  I enjoy them both, but for a total bourbon experience the nine-year-old is so good.

EE0267CA-6D5D-4E61-9506-A348B600FE29.jpeg

B601819B-076A-4809-987B-DE3A57E470B4.jpeg

Purchased a few bottles of Maker's Mark Cask Strength in Ohio as they have it on sale for 39.99.  Honestly, between MMCS, OGD114, and ECBP, I sometimes wonder why I buy anything else....

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Picked up a few Knob Creek Single Barrels from Ace Spirits today.  One was an Ace Spirits selection at 14 years, fairly good balance for an older bourbon.  Pretty tasty stuff!  The other bottle was a barrel selected by a great Italian restaurant in town, called Bar La Grassa, not sure how Ace Spirits got this one (maybe COVID-19 related—restaurants being closed??), at any rate this one is just over 9 years old.  What a great balanced bourbon this is!  I enjoy them both, but for a total bourbon experience the nine-year-old is so good.

EE0267CA-6D5D-4E61-9506-A348B600FE29.jpeg

B601819B-076A-4809-987B-DE3A57E470B4.jpeg

How much were they charging for their own pick? They also have bottles from a KC rye barrel that was picked by Parlour Bar, so yeah I’m assuming that the distributor is re-routing some stuff that was originally intended for bars and restaurants when those places are saying they can’t pay for deliveries currently. 

By the way, I love Isaac Becker restaurants, and 112 Eatery is probably my favorite restaurant in MN, except it has a really limited whiskey selection. While I don’t love La Grassa quite as much as 112 from a food perspective, the BLG whiskey selection is often sneaky good. They’ll often have BTAC, FRSmbLE, PHC, WFEs, PVW, etc. and the smoked spaghetti with lobster is a top-10 entree anywhere for me

• I like it 1

Since we're talking KCSB, I picked up a couple from a grocery store over the weekend.  I was quite happy, as this item has been missing around here for a while.  I've always had good experiences with the non special pick version.  (I still would like to find some of the extra aged.)  These have no additional information on the barrel, other than single barrel and at least 9 years.  Anyway, I got to spend some time with it.  I assume not a lot of people drink this full strength.  Diluting it just a little bit at a time, there's a point where it becomes fabulous.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

How much were they charging for their own pick? They also have bottles from a KC rye barrel that was picked by Parlour Bar, so yeah I’m assuming that the distributor is re-routing some stuff that was originally intended for bars and restaurants when those places are saying they can’t pay for deliveries currently. 

By the way, I love Isaac Becker restaurants, and 112 Eatery is probably my favorite restaurant in MN, except it has a really limited whiskey selection. While I don’t love La Grassa quite as much as 112 from a food perspective, the BLG whiskey selection is often sneaky good. They’ll often have BTAC, FRSmbLE, PHC, WFEs, PVW, etc. and the smoked spaghetti with lobster is a top-10 entree anywhere for me

They were charging $45 for each pick (both Ace Spirits, and the Bar La Grassa pick).  Issac Becker restaurants are GREAT!  I hope 112 and BLG can survive.  BLG did have amazing whiskies from time to time!   I'm not a huge rye fan, so I didn't get it.  If you're interested in either, they should have a few bottles left (I think they were down to 1-2 cases of each).  I really liked the BLG pick, and did a SBS with other 9 year store selects, and it easily won.  Very good balance between age, and sweetness, and spice.

Picked up a case of the JDSIBBP I participated in back in January at the distillery. After a very slow Bourbon buying quarantine I’m excited about re-visiting this one. See you over in the what bottle did you open today thread in a few hours! 

415036D6-CF68-4F35-923A-98B4E028483D.jpeg

• I like it 5

19 hours ago, fosmith said:

Bought 3 bottles of WB Saffell online from a NY retailer that ships to CA.  I'm thrilled as I've never seen it for sale here. 

Great buy. One of my favorites releases of 2019.  I have several stashed and it will always be a good day when one gets opened.

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

Since we're talking KCSB, I picked up a couple from a grocery store over the weekend.  I was quite happy, as this item has been missing around here for a while.  I've always had good experiences with the non special pick version.  (I still would like to find some of the extra aged.)  These have no additional information on the barrel, other than single barrel and at least 9 years.  Anyway, I got to spend some time with it.  I assume not a lot of people drink this full strength.  Diluting it just a little bit at a time, there's a point where it becomes fabulous.

Paul, I have also had similar good experiences with the standard KCSB.  I bought one at Kroger a few weeks back.  Is that where you bought yours?  If so, we may have the same barrel.  I looked on the bottle and didn't see a barrel number.  What a rip off!  They should put the barrel number on the label in case you would like to track down another bottle from the same barrel.  I did notice something interesting on the side label.  It reads "Single Barrel Release" with "Small Batch" underneath.  I assume they use the same template for both labels.

I have had some stellar KCSB across a wide range of ages, especially from Binny's.  However, age is less important to me than the barrel influence.  I have had some bottles slightly over 9 years that had that great cherry profile I enjoy in KC.

I always taste it at full strength but usually proof down to between 105 to 110.  This one is really good around 110 proof.  

Enjoy!

Yes it was from Kroger.  Since they are big time in the booze business now, I think they should get some of those single barrel stickers or tags.  There are probably half a dozen brands they already sell that have that option.

In the past, I would occasionally find a couple at Meijer that had the silver tag "specially selected for Meijer" and barrel # mixed in with all the anonymous bottles.  One time I got one that tasted like a barrel proof version of JB Black from the old days. ☺️

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

It's interesting to me that you say it has been missing around you for a while. I was in my Binny's 2 weeks ago and there was a sign on the standard KCSiB that read something like "limited, get it while you can". The head of spirits had no idea about why they had the sign on it. Anyone else seeing limited KCSiB?

On 5/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, Not_That_Fancy said:

CEBB00FE-4BED-4ADA-9F82-B4FAEB4795D7.jpeg

He's In!!!!!

Welcome to the club.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Picked up a case of the JDSIBBP I participated in back in January at the distillery. After a very slow Bourbon buying quarantine I’m excited about re-visiting this one. See you over in the what bottle did you open today thread in a few hours! 

415036D6-CF68-4F35-923A-98B4E028483D.jpeg

is this a store pic & available?

• I like it 1

14 year 6 month old Knob Creek single barrel selected by Packages and More.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.