What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Buffalo Trace for me this evening. It's one of the bourbon's that's popular here in the UK. 

I'm pretty new to the bourbon world but I am surprised at how good it is, considering I paid less than £20 for it!

• I like it 3

Continuing the bunker reduction act of 2020. I have not tasted this one in a few years, and it's actually pretty good. Bought it five or six years ago.

Pat

jb sb.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Visiting/revisiting MM 101  this evening. :o My first pour of this was after “experimenting” with a vatting or two. Good, but....:mellow: Tonight on a clean plate, WOW!  I have one open, and one in the bunker. I’m thinking I’m probably going to have to grab at least a couple more. 

MM was my gateway bourbon. It will always have a spot in my bunker and my heart. If the MM 101 holds up as is, it could very well reside on my open shelf next to Weller SRBT and my BIB’s as one of my regular go to bourbons. 

Biba! Joe

I feel I have to add something here. I was chatting with Galin0791 a little earlier about the MM 101 and mentioned this. We thought it should be shared with everyone here. 

Galvin0791 and I would get together with Vosgar occasionally to taste and share bourbons, and have a cigar. Always a good time. Gary had this funny little quirk sometimes when he tasted something new and liked it. Maybe some of y’all remember it from some of our get togethers in Kentucky. I was reminded of it when I did it after having my first sip of MM 101 this evening. You take a sip, your eyebrows raise slightly, a twinkle appears in your eyes, and out comes a slightly goofy ”Oooh! ”  ?  Cheers Gary! I miss you brother. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 13

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Visiting/revisiting MM 101  this evening. :o My first pour of this was after “experimenting” with a vatting or two. Good, but....:mellow: Tonight on a clean plate, WOW!  I have one open, and one in the bunker. I’m thinking I’m probably going to have to grab at least a couple more. 

MM was my gateway bourbon. It will always have a spot in my bunker and my heart. If the MM 101 holds up as is, it could very well reside on my open shelf next to Weller SRBT and my BIB’s as one of my regular go to bourbons. 

Biba! Joe

If the Weller whore is seeing what I'm seeing in this bourbon then I know it's not just me being an outlier.

21 minutes ago, flahute said:

If the Weller whore is seeing what I'm seeing in this bourbon then I know it's not just me being an outlier.

Daughter of New Hampshire Presbyterian missionaries in China pre-1949 turned me on to MM.  She was 20+ years my senior and a close friend of my wife and drank it neat.  I was a JD rocks person at the time, but she talked me in to expanding my horizons.  I guess SHE is the reason I began exploring bourbon.  Thanks, Paula.  Have not tried the 101.  My first bottle will be consumed for the two of us.

EDIT - Is amazing to me how MANY of my memories are tied to bourbon - not the shenanigans while drinking but the personal happenings.  Truly, when consumed socially, it ensures that human contacts are generally warm and fuzzy.  Popcorn or peanuts come close.  Maybe Mac and cheese.  Bourbon is Always on.:)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 6

34 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Daughter of New Hampshire Presbyterian missionaries in China pre-1949 turned me on to MM.  She was 20+ years my senior and a close friend of my wife and drank it neat.  I was a JD rocks person at the time, but she talked me in to expanding my horizons.  I guess SHE is the reason I began exploring bourbon.  Thanks, Paula.  Have not tried the 101.  My first bottle will be consumed for the two of us.

EDIT - Is amazing to me how MANY of my memories are tied to bourbon - not the shenanigans while drinking but the personal happenings.  Truly, when consumed socially, it ensures that human contacts are generally warm and fuzzy.  Popcorn or peanuts come close.  Maybe Mac and cheese.  Bourbon is Always on.:)

The glory days of MM! And a Presbyterian missionary daughter? Man, anything is possible.

• I like it 1

I often find that the best days to grab my best bottles are random weekdays, unplanned.

This is tasting truly special tonight.

yum!

?

84DD38F8-CED8-45A3-95D8-250F94466014.jpeg

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I often find that the best days to grab my best bottles are random weekdays, unplanned.

yum!

?

So you’re off tomorrow huh. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

45 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So you’re off tomorrow huh. ?

Biba! Joe

No, 

there's still some GTS left in the bottle.

...for a different weeknight.

:)

• I like it 4

17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

No, 

there's still some GTS left in the bottle.

...for a different weeknight.

:)

• I like it 2

Tonight I'm awaiting the arrival of my daughter and son-in-law,  and sipping the chewiest bourbon I know,  Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve.  

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

yum!

?

84DD38F8-CED8-45A3-95D8-250F94466014.jpeg

The 2018 is delicious.

• I like it 3

On 11/23/2020 at 2:59 PM, markandrex said:

Started the evening with a Little Book 3  and followed up with the final pour from a 2015-3 (The Center Cut).  I must be channeling  Booker this evening.  I many have to close out the night with some Big Man; Small Batch!

How does the Center Cut compare to Big Man?  Big Man is my favorite of the named batches.  I haven't tried Center Cut but have heard it's great.  I've got one pour left of an Annis' Answer and have really liked it. 

18 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Tonight I'm awaiting the arrival of my daughter and son-in-law,  and sipping the chewiest bourbon I know,  Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve.  

Perfect way to describe it - "chewy".  It's one of my favorites, as well.  It's a shame it's no longer bottled at cask strength. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

How does the Center Cut compare to Big Man?  Big Man is my favorite of the named batches.  I haven't tried Center Cut but have heard it's great.  I've got one pour left of an Annis' Answer and have really liked it. 

Big Man is my favorite of the regular Bookers line.  Center Cut is very good.  Strong on alcohol when first opened.  Once it settled down it was very solid.  Typical  heat but I like that profile.  Annis’ Answer is a very similar profile.

If you get a chance, try some of the Sam Houston 14 that is out now.  It is a Western Spirits/Three Springs Bottling from BG.  Same type of heat up front but a great 14 year old bourbon behind.  I believe it is a 14 year old Barton sourced through Bardstown Bourbon.  About $120 msrp  but a very nice sipper.

On 11/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Please report back on Four Roses bourbon not Hallmark movies!

Love it. About halfway through so far and probably tried  too hard to figure it at first. On the nose will deceive you, you just have to taste it, and it’s packed with all things nice and nothing (IMO) that says....that is just too much. I’m sold. 

Also picked up a new box of cigars. Chartered Oak Habano. New this year, nice compliment while sitting by the fire. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2F7B0682-B88C-4883-BCDA-832BB6FFD24E.jpeg

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Love it. About halfway through so far and probably tried  too hard to figure it at first. On the nose will deceive you, you just have to taste it, and it’s packed with all things nice and nothing (IMO) that says....that is just too much. I’m sold. 

Also picked up a new box of cigars. Chartered Oak Habano. New this year, nice compliment while sitting by the fire. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2F7B0682-B88C-4883-BCDA-832BB6FFD24E.jpeg

It is good to have a new member in the Cult.  

Unlike other cults, you control your own journey and membership is solely based on your independent enjoyment.  However, as your journey proceeds, you will find there will be a point of no return.  Once a member of the Four Roses Cult, always a member.  Proceed with caution and enjoyment!

Yes, the taste is always better than the nose.   BTW, that looks like a nice pour!

Edited by mbroo5880i

As noted in the "What Did Your Purchase Today?" thread, I purchase a bottle of Makers Mark Finishing Series SE4XPR5 2020.

I find finished bourbons to be a mixed bag and standard MM46 to be meh but do like MM46 barrel strength private selections.  

Unless something is spectacularly great or frustratingly horrible, I try to withhold opinions one way or the other until I have had several pours.  However, I did want to open this one just in case it was spectacularly great so I could pick up another bottle if I ran across one.  Unfortunately, it doesn't hit that level for me.  At least on the first pour.  However, that could just be my palate so I will evaluate it more.   I have been in this hobby long enough to know that first pours can be  deceiving one way or the other.

Nose - Makers Marks' Tasting Notes indicate "heavy vanilla with spiced caramel."  I noted a muted nose with light caramel.

Sip - Makers Marks' Tasting Notes tasting notes indicate "Butter pecan ice cream. Vanilla with creamy butter notes, dry spice and caramelized sweetness."  I note a very heavy oak dominance with some baking spice and a butter note.  I must have missed the caramelized sweetness which is a note I know I would recognize and love.

Finish - Makers Marks' Tasting Notes indicate "Long, round and dry."  I am not certain what "round" references but I am drinking it from a rocks glass that is round.  The finish is long and dry, again influenced by the heavy oak dominance.

The above personal tasting notes probably don't sound too flattering.  I don't intent for them to be negative.  First, it was just one pour and like I said my palate may be off.  Two, sometimes complex bottles take some time to wrap your head and taste buds around.  Most on-line reviews are positive.  I will share tasting notes as I work through the bottle.

Now onto a palate reset.

Tasting Notes

AROMA

Heavy vanilla with spiced caramel

TASTE

Butter pecan ice cream. Vanilla with creamy butter notes, dry spice and caramelized sweetness.

FINISH

Long, round and dry

PROOF

Cask Strength (110.8)

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

I really loved Center Cut. I've got a Big Man batch on my short list of bunker bottles on deck to be opened.  Looking forward to trying it. But also looking forward to some other old bookers too.

Turkey Decades is really firing on all cylinders tonight. I love the balance the Decades has with plenty of aged oakiness from the 20 year old barrels in the batch, but also counter-balanced by younger 10 year whiskey that keeps the dry tannic notes away. A stellar Wild Turkey.

• I like it 3

I'm getting psyched up to do the whole Thanksgiving (for a very small group).  I opened WT 101 for a small taste. 

25 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I'm getting psyched up to do the whole Thanksgiving (for a very small group).  I opened WT 101 for a small taste. 

As one should.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.