What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

114 proof isn't high enough for that garbage .....

I hope you are referring to the score - Rutgers 37 - Purdue 30 - and not to OGD 114.

Taking a break from Tom's Foolery OSBW, 80 proof, 3 YO, and sipping on a store pick of SAOS "American Whiskey", 107 proof, NAS. non-chill filtered.  Back label says it is a blend of whiskeys distilled in Indiana (likely MGP) and Tennessee (likely NOT Dickel as I get no vitamin/pickle flavor and likely NOT JD as I get no banana).  One of them was aged in new oak barrels and the other in used re-charred oak bourbon barrels, but the label doesn't say which distillate went into the recharred barrels.

At 107 proof, I was really disappointed.  I had some water handy so added enough to take it down to, I guess, about 98-102.  Boy Howdy!!  I hit a X- spot [adjectival exclamation deleted at X as a disgusting, if accurate, description  of what spot I hit].  Figuratively.  In other words, with a little water, this REALLY opens up.  Check it out if you have one and hated the neat sip.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Meanwhile, my wife is watching a Hallmark Christmas movie.  I guess by default so am I.

Watching the Hallmark Christmas movies with my wife. Not drinking. Yet. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I hope you are referring to the score - Rutgers 37 - Purdue 30 - and not to OGD 114.

Taking a break from Tom's Foolery OSBW, 80 proof, 3 YO, and sipping on a store pick of SAOS "American Whiskey", 107 proof, NAS. non-chill filtered.  Back label says it is a blend of whiskeys distilled in Indiana (likely MGP) and Tennessee (likely NOT Dickel as I get no vitamin/pickle flavor and likely NOT JD as I get no banana).  One of them was aged in new oak barrels and the other in used re-charred oak bourbon barrels, but the label doesn't say which distillate went into the recharred barrels.

At 107 proof, I was really disappointed.  I had some water handy so added enough to take it down to, I guess, about 98-102.  Boy Howdy!!  I hit a X- spot [adjectival exclamation deleted at X as a disgusting, if accurate, description  of what spot I hit].  Figuratively.  In other words, with a little water, this REALLY opens up.  Check it out if you have one and hated the neat sip.

Lol.  Yes, the "garbage" was Purdue running a total 3 offensive plays in the fourth quarter  en route to the loss.  The OGD is never the problem.

• I like it 2

I opened the Benchmark Full Proof.  To be honest, BT mash bill #1 is sort of hit or miss with me, depending on the version.  I'm liking this.  It's on the sweet side, but some little bit of dry oak in the finish.  There is no harshness, or white dog sourness.  It's actually pretty easy for 125 proof.

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks for the tip Harry.  Indeed I have one which I'm not terribly fond of.  I'll try this the next time I decide to pull that bottle from the cabinet.  

Having RRSiB PS  My first libation for the Thanksgiving holiday week. 

Late to the party, better than never I suppose. This is turbocharged WT101, maximum balance. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

My initial two pours of EC Toasted Barrel where not impressive at all tonight. I’ll have to revisit that bottle in another month or so.

I’m really enjoying a healthy pour of CEHT SmB though. The cherry sweet nose makes me d 3 sniffs to every sip. Delightful.

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, webfoots said:

I’m really enjoying a healthy pour of CEHT SmB though. The cherry sweet nose makes me d 3 sniffs to every sip. Delightful.

Got a bottle of this open now and, to me, this is the best bourbon out there at the $40 price point.  Every sip tells you that you are drinking a premium whiskey.  Trouble is, it's gotten really hard to find. 

• I like it 4

55 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Got a bottle of this open now and, to me, this is the best bourbon out there at the $40 price point.  Every sip tells you that you are drinking a premium whiskey.  Trouble is, it's gotten really hard to find. 

Me, too!  Even better @ $34.99 OTD - just sayin' . . . . . .  ?

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Having RRSiB PS  My first libation for the Thanksgiving holiday week. 

Late to the party, better than never I suppose. This is turbocharged WT101, maximum balance. 

Cheers

What Wedelstaedt said. Another B 4th. I guess I've got maybe 6 or 7 different ones. WHAT!

6 hours ago, fosmith said:

One of my favorites. I can't find it for less than $60 right now.

I have found Blanton's easier and around the same price currently

Edited by yobber76

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Thanks for the tip Harry.  Indeed I have one which I'm not terribly fond of.  I'll try this the next time I decide to pull that bottle from the cabinet.  

After a second night of sipping SAOS "American Whiskey" (tonight being the second night), I think Dickel is the "other" whiskey in it.  Sipping the neat version to start tonight reminded me of the Dickel Barrel Select I bought once - not happy with it neat but nice when a cube or two was added to a couple of ounces.

20 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I meant to just have a small drink but 

It's alright buddy, we've all been there before

?

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

I opened the Benchmark Full Proof.  To be honest, BT mash bill #1 is sort of hit or miss with me, depending on the version.  I'm liking this.  It's on the sweet side, but some little bit of dry oak in the finish.  There is no harshness, or white dog sourness.  It's actually pretty easy for 125 proof.

I haven’t seen the new Benchmark line in my neck of the woods, but I’m looking forward to this one and the BIB version.

Somewhat crazy day at work. Maybe more weird than crazy. ? A couple of pours of BT are tasting pretty good this evening. Not sure about after supper. ?

Biba! Joe

Enjoying a Woodford Double Oaked this evening. While I’m not a connoisseur like some of you, this is my favorite pour of 2020. 

• I like it 2

Having some Belle Meade Cognac finished bourbon.  The cognac really shines through 

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Stagg Jr batch 12. It is a little cool tonight, so I decided on a warm pour. 

Stuff will prevent frostbite

Had a pour of EC BP C919. Had t o melt a big cube in it to defuse the ethanol a little. I have to say I prefer the B519 and B520.

That being said, I will continue to work this bottle to it's conclusion.

Edited by yobber76

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.