What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, DeepCover said:

So true on the XO, and taste before the smell. Fortunately for me I can tell a noticeable difference today on taste. I’m having some BT and I’m getting the usual notes I’m used to. This is the bourbon I use to calibrate the palate and I’m very encouraged.

I'm having the last of the OWA PS I tried last night and it's better tonight. I can tell a noticable difference on palate and nose. 

20201221_194139.jpg

• I like it 2

I tried the WTMK17BIB finally. As expected, dry and spicy. Also had a nice pour of JPS18 batch 8. I am no fan of Jefferson’s overall, but I miss the JPS17 and early batches of JPS18

• I like it 1

Well it was a heck of a night. Stopped by my local to pick up the 4R SiB OBSK that we picked at 4R back in September. 9yr 6mo and amazing. He surprised me with on Old Fitz 14yr BIB. That is also a great pour. Finishing with some BC KCSiB 15yr. 

Christmas vacation is so good. 

• I like it 8

Did a three-way Booker's blind sbs yesterday afternoon, with a sample I got (2020-03 "Pigskin Batch") and the only two remaining bottles I own (2013-06 - one of the original 'roundtable' batches & 2018-4 "Kitchen Table").  Was really surprised that the 2013 & 2018 were pretty similar (in prior sbs they weren't), but the 2020-03 stood out as super-sweet to me.  

• I like it 3

On 12/21/2020 at 9:48 AM, Double C's said:

How is that OESQ? I have a bottle but have yet to open it and was wonder what to expect.

FWIW, that's my favorite 4R recipe.  To me, its delicacy is matched by its complexity: no in-your-face bourbon smack; more like a really fine cognac after a long dinner.  EDIT - And, that's how I always enjoy it.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 2

Yep, It's The Holidays...

Had my first pour at 1:30 this afternoon. Shameful I know but I'm over it now. Had the Bulleit Blenders Select. While the pour was ok, I'm just not digging this one. I would rather the 10yr by a bunch.  Been bustin' butt in the kitchen prepping for the weekend so I'm just getting to my second pour now. The 4r Sib is hittin'...

• I like it 1

I normally get a real off-putting note from WT101, to the point where I refuse to drink it. That said, what happens when it’s my only option? You guessed it, I took the Turkey. And it’s singing. The rye spice and traditional bourbon notes are all there, with no off-putting note that I’ve gotten in the past. Hallelujah 

• I like it 3

On 12/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, Paddy said:

Some ‘old’ Old Fitz BIB.

Man that brings back memories of the OF BIB handles I had...last of the SW juice. Viva DSP-KY-16...sad that it's gone, but I sure enjoyed the heck out of it!

• I like it 2

Had some OESQ store pick tonight. It's been open about a month. On first opening it was like drinking flowers. It's now developed a bunch of caramel sweetness. @0895 might make a cult member out of me yet. 

20201222_201724.jpg

• I like it 7

The wheater holiday train continues to rumble.

Weller 12, Old Fitz 14, a brief foray into ER17 101 just because, back on track with WLW. I love this time of year.

• I like it 3

E27D6620-0C82-4AB6-BDE5-825C189F8ACE.jpeg.004732298ceb2397fe1664b7f94fb68d.jpeg

So, not really what I’m drinking TONIGHT, more like right now. Rye is for lunch right? Right? In the kitchen working on some smoked salmon dip for my wife’s birthday dinner and thought I needed something to enjoy while I work. 

I know many here don’t like the recent batches of HWMWND, but it has a hard hit of black pepper to me, that I really enjoy. Tons of spice all the way through the finish. Since I never got to enjoy the earlier batches, this is all I have to compare it to. The RR rye, I have had around for a while. I think th is is my second bottle. I’ve always enjoyed it fine, but find it quite boring next to the MWND. 

Also, as I continue to try to develop my nose, a real struggle until after I’ve tasted something usually, it was instantly clear to me on the nose the influence of the Port barrels on the MWND. Progress? Maybe...

Weller Centennial 10yr SiB tonite out of a Bon Maman Strawberry jam jar:

2018 Joe's Weller Blend.jpg

Ok, ok - it's Joe's 2018 Weller Blend in a Weller Centennial bottle, ok?  But I bet you can't tell the difference in a SBS comparison with the real thing, OK?!?  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 8

Back to what has quickly become my standby for tonight. OF1920 has made

itself  a clear favorite as my daily drinker.

After the mid-day ryes, my oldest son came over and we had some 4R SB and 4R SiB. Those both left me wanting. I’d say it’s becoming clear that I like higher proof whiskeys, and the OF1920 seems to be one I keep going back to.

I definitely enjoyed a good pour or two from that tonight after the lower proof 4R

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

ER10 to start the long weekend.  

Me thinks I shall join you. The Eagle has landed! ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Drinking the last pour from my 2018 GTS. It was a fantastic bottle, and it will be missed. 

You drank, you emptied.  It didn't sit on the trophy shelf.  Great job!  This is what we are supposed to do.  Drink, enjoy. and share.  

• I like it 3

39 minutes ago, CPBourbon said:

Back to what has quickly become my standby for tonight. OF1920 has made

itself  a clear favorite as my daily drinker.

After the mid-day ryes, my oldest son came over and we had some 4R SB and 4R SiB. Those both left me wanting. I’d say it’s becoming clear that I like higher proof whiskeys, and the OF1920 seems to be one I keep going back to.

I definitely enjoyed a good pour or two from that tonight after the lower proof 4R

A nice pour of bourbon with my son is among my favorite things in the world.

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

A nice pour of bourbon with my son is among my favorite things in the world.

I can’t agree with this more! Our oldest is 29 and our youngest is 14. I often say their brains fall out at age 12 and don’t grow back until age 23. But I love to have a drink with my oldest. It truly is one of my most enjoyable things in life. 

Edited by CPBourbon
  • I like it 2

A false start to the holiday weekend.  Boss let us go early.  Unfortunately, I got called back in due to an issue.  I was able to resolve relatively quickly but it took me into the evening.  No matter.  I have now had a few pours and might imbibe in another.  I am just that kind of guy.  I work hard and play hard.  

Started with a small pour of New Riff to finish off the bottle.  Followed by a nice pour of MM101.  Then a decent pour of OF100.  Dare, I enjoy another pour so early in the holiday weekend?  

• I like it 2

Just now, CPBourbon said:

I can’t agree with this more! Our oldest is 29 and our youngest is 14. I often say their brains fall out at age 12 and don’t tri back until age 23. But I love to have a drink with my oldest. It truly is one of my most enjoyable things in life. 

This is the time of year at that!  How far up in Michigan are you?

Decided to head to Lawrenceberg this evening with some RR SP. Watching George C. Scott  in A Christmas Carol by the the light of the tree with the wife.    A far better life than I deserve.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.