What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Pour some of that in your maple syrup the next time you have pancakes.

I think my biggest disappointment was simply that they used the Knob Creek name with this.  Using one of the lower shelf names with a flavored whiskey would probably market better.  This has a place in a liquor store, but it's not not for the bourbon drinker.  

8 Roses...

1st pour - a honey barrel of 4RSib

2nd pour - 4R SB Select

Will probably stay with the select as I hate to finish a bottle that has been so good; about 2 pour left.

• I like it 5

Late this afternoon, it was an ounce of GTS 2018 (124.9 proof) in a crystal Tiffany flute just because one deserved the other.  First very small sip was pure, rich caramel over spicy mince pie with a vanilla/maple finish that EASILY lasted ten minutes.  Dropped in a small cube and let it melt taking the proof to about 70.  Fruit jam on cinnamon raisin toast.  The fruit finish lasted ANOTHER ten minutes.  I cannot believe I had the discipline to stop at that one ounce.

Glass is one of two I received as a gift for carrying an AMEX for 50 years this year. That deep flute was perfect for allowing the aromatics to rise and swirl and mingle.

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.32859778ed0950169b04adceb4e7d48b.JPG

• I like it 17

1 minute ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Late this afternoon, it was an ounce of GTS 2018 (124.9 proof) in a crystal Tiffany flute just because one deserved the other.  First very small sip was pure, rich caramel over spicy mince pie with a vanilla/maple finish that EASILY lasted ten minutes.  Dropped in a small cube and let it melt taking the proof to about 70.  Fruit jam on cinnamon raisin toast.  The fruit finish lasted ANOTHER ten minutes.  I cannot believe I had the discipline to stop at that one ounce.

Glass is one of two I received as a gift for carrying an AMEX for 50 years this year. That deep flute was perfect for allowing the aromatics to rise and swirl and mingle.

My favorite GTS to date.  So much so that I haven't cracked my second bottle open yet.  First one went waaay too fast!   ?

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, yobber76 said:

I am drinking WT 101 tonight for the first time in a long time. 

I don’t think I’m straying too far out of line by saying you’ll be changing your handle to Gobbler76❤️ very soon!  ?. It’s that good!  

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I am having the same pour (minus the ice) tonight.  Just felt right when I opened the bar to see what I wanted to pour.

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

Started the evening with the advent calendar, which produced the Knob Creek Maple.  I was really disappointed.  I know I shouldn't expect much from a flavored whiskey, but it was a maple syrup flavor.  I expected a Jack Daniels type smoked maple edge to it.

Moved on to some 2011 or 2012 Willett.  That one doesn't disappoint.  

It is always good to have options! ?

37 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

I am having the same pour (minus the ice) tonight.  Just felt right when I opened the bar to see what I wanted to pour.

I have difficulty when I have too many choices whether its bourbon, pizza toppings or cereal.  Sometimes its good to have those decisions made for you.  

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

A single one ounce pour of GTS?  Now that is discipline!

• I like it 2

Watching a little NBA preseason action tonight.  I guess there isn't a new Hallmark or Lifetime Christmas movie tonight.  Little pour of New Riff followed by a nice pour of OGD BIB.  Hanging out with the beagle.  She has been attached to me all night.

Edited by mbroo5880i

3 hours ago, yobber76 said:

I am drinking WT 101 tonight for the first time in a long time. 

Me too on the WT101 but I can’t say in a long time for me unless you consider 4 days a long time. Seemed like a good choice for the Big Ten opener against Minnesota. Go Illini!  Gonna be a rough and tumble season in what is clearly the best conference in the country this year.  The new 70 inch 4K tv we picked up last week just makes it THAT much more enjoyable. 

• I like it 2

Y’all talked me into it. I had small pours of OF 1870, 4R SBS, 1792 SB, and now I gotta go grab the WT 101 to finish the night off.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

A single one ounce pour of GTS?  Now that is discipline!

Complete satisfaction allowed me to walk away.  Having more would be like eating a second prime rib, a third pint of ice cream,  a whole 12 inch pepperoni pizza, or a bag of maple Oreos.  I could, but the "extra" would have ruined that first rush.

• I like it 10

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have difficulty when I have too many choices whether its bourbon, pizza toppings or cereal.  Sometimes its good to have those decisions made for you.  

Always go with the Cap'n Crunch!!!

Wait, what? Oh yea, this is SBF...

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t think I’m straying too far out of line by saying you’ll be changing your handle to Gobbler76❤️ very soon!  ?. It’s that good!  

I have enjoyed RR 10yr, Rare Breed, I have chased many more expensive and harder to find bourbons, and because of this forum I tried WT 101 after not tasting it for years. It is great fro the money, I will continue to make it a regular pour.

Of course I will also continue to chase the rest, as I have become bourbon finder for my friends and family

• I like it 1

A gorgeous pour of GBS Elmer T to end this work day.  It’s become my “treat” whiskey.  Not often brought out, but deserved when so.  

486E011B-2074-49A3-A364-E22D50621C55.jpeg

• I like it 10

Whether you like Blanton's Sib or not, the Gold is just a cut above.

Very p!$$ed off after work today. This made me smile...

20201216_170912.thumb.jpg.954c28ba35eb3df04b4a361ccf87d9d8.jpg

• I like it 7

23 hours ago, GeeTen said:

My favorite GTS to date.  So much so that I haven't cracked my second bottle open yet.  First one went waaay too fast!   ?

I still have my 2nd bottle of 2018 GTS as well. 

Edited by JvW

6 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Whether you like Blanton's Sib or not, the Gold is just a cut above.

Very p!$$ed off after work today. This made me smile...

20201216_170912.thumb.jpg.954c28ba35eb3df04b4a361ccf87d9d8.jpg

I almost missed the Blanton's after seeing the Cap'n Crunch in the background.  I see what you did there.  ?

• I like it 3

23 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

A gorgeous pour of GBS Elmer T to end this work day.  It’s become my “treat” whiskey.  Not often brought out, but deserved when so.  

Very nice Joe. Very nice. Many thanks for the two bottles you brought to Bardstown for me a few years ago.  They didn’t last long. I also have to add how much Vosgar really liked this GBS pick. I’m pretty sure  it was his favorite of all your GBS picks that he had. I also believe it is quite possibly the bourbon that may have led to his infamous, “Oooh” when tasting something he thought was truly good. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I've been teetotaling during the work week for months now, trying to get a jump on next year's resolutions.  

Had to break protocol today after going bunker raiding for the first time in months.    

Was craving a sip of the Toogie's and the B517. 

Went deep on both of these.  Not disappointed.  

I love it when a plan comes together...  

Slainte!  

• I like it 6

On 12/9/2020 at 8:55 PM, smokinjoe said:

2013  Birthday Bourbon after work, today.  This bottle has been open for 7 years, and I’ve not gone to it much in recent years as I forgot where it was.  ?.  At first, the nose seemed a little off, but the whiskey was delicious.  Some light oakiness and a wonderful butterscotch candy note with a light floral undertone.  I don’t remember if that is what I detected upon opening in 2013, but it’s that way now, and it was terrific.  The nose worked it’s way out eventually as it sat, so probably just some funk from sitting idle needed to escape.  

3ECCBEBD-561F-41B0-BC4C-2E0A2BC4F1D3.jpeg

I thought the 2013 was pretty darn good. I was surprised by SKU's downright dismal rating for this on the LAWS site when it was released. I still have one left; opened it only a few months ago.

Pat

Continuing the bunker beat-down. Opened my last PHC Wheated 2010. Naturally, the cork failed. But, no problem, was able to overcome relatively quickly. Bought this in 2011, for the outrageous price of $50.53. I remember the LS owner was looking at me when I selected it; he nodded approvingly. 

Pat

PHC wheated front.jpg

PHC wheated back.jpg

• I like it 11

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Never had a GBS pick but the photograph is excellent!  Very festive, inspired me to pour some standard ETL.  Happy Holidays!?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.