What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

I spent the week in SF eating, drinking, golfing, and made a pit stop at Harris Ranch on the way home. Threw a Porterhouse in the beer cooler for Saturday night.  I also love the simplicity of a seasoned pot of Pintos. 

16DE74D0-B51D-405E-9F2B-F9FF08D3BC07.jpeg

81A1E662-AF92-409B-9D72-57031AA553CD.jpeg

• I like it 5

Over the last several months I’ve been revisiting foods from my past, particularly of the frozen variety.  Started with Stouffer’s Salisbury Steak & Mac & Cheese frozen dinner.  I keep the beer freezer well stocked on these.  They’re awesome.  Gorton’s Fish Sticks and breaded filets (Top Notch).  And lately, Banquet chicken pot pies.  That’s lunch today.   As you can see, “FLAKY CRUST made from SCRATCH”.  Only the best in frozen cuisine for my family.  No crust made from whatever the hell you can make crust from…😁. BTW, did SBS of Banquet and Marie Callander’s CPP’s. Pretty dang close, considering MC’s is much more expensive.  She won by a nose, because her chicken was very nice.  Amy swears Swanson’s was better than either, but it’s no longer made, and she last had one 40 years ago.  So, I’m disqualifying her take…🤣. Highly recommended Blake’s brand is up next. 
I’d like to get my hands on a Hi-C Cherry breakfast juice in the big steel can next. 🤪

8AFF07CA-E375-4F8F-AA29-B107F2C2C7AE.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Over the last several months I’ve been revisiting foods from my past, particularly of the frozen variety.  Started with Stouffer’s Salisbury Steak & Mac & Cheese frozen dinner.  I keep the beer freezer well stocked on these.  They’re awesome.  Gorton’s Fish Sticks and breaded filets (Top Notch).  And lately, Banquet chicken pot pies.  That’s lunch today.   As you can see, “FLAKY CRUST made from SCRATCH”.  Only the best in frozen cuisine for my family.  No crust made from whatever the hell you can make crust from…😁. BTW, did SBS of Banquet and Marie Callander’s CPP’s. Pretty dang close, considering MC’s is much more expensive.  She won by a nose, because her chicken was very nice.  Amy swears Swanson’s was better than either, but it’s no longer made, and she last had one 40 years ago.  So, I’m disqualifying her take…🤣. Highly recommended Blake’s brand is up next. 
I’d like to get my hands on a Hi-C Cherry breakfast juice in the big steel can next. 🤪

8AFF07CA-E375-4F8F-AA29-B107F2C2C7AE.jpeg

Joe, I work from home about half the week.  We can meet for an actual lunch.  Banquet chicken pot pies and Stouffers salisbury steak has me a little worried about you bud. 

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Joe, I work from home about half the week.  We can meet for an actual lunch.  Banquet chicken pot pies and Stouffers salisbury steak has me a little worried about you bud. 

I’m telling you, the Salisbury Steak is great.  😎

• I like it 1

On 5/8/2023 at 11:20 AM, BigRich said:

Please check in on my brother for me. Thanks!

Some smoked and seared NY Strips, Cajun shrimp (from yesterday's mother's day boil), wilted spinach and bacon salad, and baked sweet potatoes.  A barrel aged WSR Manhattan for the cook.20230514_174959.thumb.jpg.d60b0239528019943eb8115563356e8a.jpg

20230514_180259.jpg

Edited by Clueby

That looks really good!

I finally used my last venison roast (top round) from the freezer.   I spotted a unique recipe for a sort of pot roast/stew dish, cooked really low and slow in a dutch oven at 250-degrees for 5-hours.    It called for a few unusual ingredients (sugar? brown sugar? apple cider vinegar?) and seemed worth the try.    It came out pretty good, and is certainly different.    The cubed deer is so tender it comes apart just picking up a spoonful.     Yet the potatoes are firm, as are the carrots.   ...The 'shrooms, not so much; but, oh well.   All in all, a good use of the last of that deer.

• 4 weeks later...

Rain on and off this morning so my wife decided to bake.  A fresh strawberry and rhubarb pie.  I am a lucky man!

Resized_20230611_142955.jpeg

• I like it 6

10 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Rain on and off this morning so my wife decided to bake.  A fresh strawberry and rhubarb pie.  I am a lucky man!

You are a lucky man @markandrex. You’re also bringing back a great childhood memory. Long story short, my mother used to make a wonderful strawberry rhubarb cobbler.  🍓 🥧 😋

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, markandrex said:

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You are a lucky man @markandrex. You’re also bringing back a great childhood memory. Long story short, my mother used to make a wonderful strawberry rhubarb cobbler.  🍓 🥧 😋

My grandmother made a straight up rhubarb pie from rhubarb grown by a neighbor.  I had strawberry-rhubarb as a child but didn't appreciate straight rhubarb pie at the time.  However, both are good.  I would love to have both, but only if baked by my grandmother. 

• I like it 1

Waaaaay back in the day, my Mom frequently baked us rhubarb pies, and also made rhubarb slump (a kind of shortcut; filling, no crust) which we used over toast or just ate in a bowl.    She also made rhubarb preserves, strawberry/rhubarb preserves, and jams of each as well.    We had a 'bunch' of rhubarb growing in our backyard that I think she planted from cuttings (from an aunt?).    Eventually, she tired of dealing with it as we grew up and ate elsewhere more and more (Dad never cared for any of the rhubarb stuff).    You haven't really experienced eternity until you try to kill off a well-grown patch of rhubarb.   That darned stuff is unkillable!    It may still be growing in that backyard these 70+ years later!

• I like it 1

All my posts on here look the same! Another Sunday, another couple smoked and seared steaks.

That strawberry rhubarb pie looks amazing!!

20230611_194558.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

All my posts on here look the same! Another Sunday, another couple smoked and seared steaks.

Really Tim?  🤭 Here, hold this for me.  🫨

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t usually like the thinner cod fillets on my lemon/butter baked cod, but these really worked out well.  

AA4F0C0D-2AFE-4E56-9A19-ABF9EB5CCA7B.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took my daughter out today to buy some food for the house. I gave a six year old control of the menu this week. She did not disappoint. We hit a local produce stand and a butcher's shop before a regular grocery to round out the list. The funny part is at the butcher's shop she ordered a whole tenderloin. So here is day one of our little family eats a tenderloin. My daughters plate edition.

20230708_205138.jpg

• I like it 2

Unfortunately, not  @smokinjoe  type boozie dogs.  We’re having our annual Special Olympics all team picnic later on today. I’d probably get in trouble if I brought boozie dogs. 😬

IMG_2340.thumb.jpeg.7f3d7b4d0255d8080c4bff8110c638d1.jpeg

Chicken fried in the pan.  In these days of high grocery prices, we had 5 large drumsticks for 5 bucks, and they were fantastic. Buttermilk soak for 8 hrs, dredge in flour and seasoning, and fry in canola oil in a 375 degree iron skillet on the grill.  ~20 minutes later, it was a hot, juicy, and crispy, fabulous meal.  

59DEE8D4-D14B-471C-8F71-6EF363F87C71.jpeg

• I like it 3

A few mid-summer favorites last night for dinner. BLTs made with fresh garden tomatoes,lots of thick smokey bacon, and Duke's mayo with the first sweet corn of the summer.  IMHO, Ohio has the best sweet corn. O H 

Prost!!  Phil 

20230721_190341.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 2

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

A few mid-summer favorites last night for dinner. BLTs made with fresh garden tomatoes,lots of thick smokey bacon, and Duke's mayo with the first sweet corn of the summer.  IMHO, Ohio has the best sweet corn. O H 

Prost!!  Phil 

20230721_190341.jpg

Boy that loox and sounds like a fine meal, my friend!   Having no love for Ohio (or THE Ohio State University for certain!), I hafta agree about the corn.   When The Mitten State's corn crop comes in (another 2-3-weex (+-) one can expect to find wonderful corn... or highly ordinary.   The only way to tell is to cook and eat it.    By then it is of course too late to do much about any suboptimal cobs.   

ENJOY My friend!

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Boy that loox and sounds like a fine meal, my friend!   Having no love for Ohio (or THE Ohio State University for certain!), I hafta agree about the corn.   When The Mitten State's corn crop comes in (another 2-3-weex (+-) one can expect to find wonderful corn... or highly ordinary.   The only way to tell is to cook and eat it.    By then it is of course too late to do much about any suboptimal cobs.   

ENJOY My friend!

Suboptimal can alway be enhance with butter, mayo, Tajin, and  cojita cheese - Elotes!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Returned yesterday from our yearly trip to Cumberland Falls State Park in Kentucky.  Met up with dozens of friends from all parts of the country, for a few days of fun. A trip there must not pass without partaking in at least one Kentucky Hot Brown at the lodge.  This one was glorious.  Best in years.  And each of you have just gained 5 pounds just by looking at this Masterpiece…🤣🤣

C9973460-0BD3-4773-9727-207E9A3F3347.jpeg

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Returned yesterday from our yearly trip to Cumberland Falls State Park in Kentucky.  Met up with dozens of friends from all parts of the country, for a few days of fun. A trip there must not pass without partaking in at least one Kentucky Hot Brown at the lodge.  This one was glorious.  Best in years.  And each of you have just gained 5 pounds just by looking at this Masterpiece…🤣🤣

Any rainbow pics this year Joe? 🤞

51 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Any rainbow pics this year Joe? 🤞

No “Moon”Bow pics this year, unfortunately; but a nice Rainbow pic.  😁

F274F029-4A95-4239-B0D9-DC1989E3C929.jpeg

• I like it 1