What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

I smoke the steaks at 225 for a bit till they hit about 100-105 internally before searing at 600 degrees. The bacon rendered out a bit that way and insulated the meat some so the bacon was pretty well cooked.  I wouldn't call it rubbery but it was soft.  It wasn't "crispy" but I don't like crispy bacon anyway.

Excellent!!

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Some blackened tuna with potato crowns.  

I'm sure most of y'all will laugh at my naivete; but, what are 'potato crowns'?   None of the puhtatuhs I've ever cooked even had hats!

15 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm sure most of y'all will laugh at my naivete; but, what are 'potato crowns'?   None of the puhtatuhs I've ever cooked even had hats!

They are from Kroger.  It is essentially a half of a tater tot.

• I like it 1

We celebrated both my daughters' bdays with a seafood extravaganza! King crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp and all the extras.

20231121_190009.jpg

• I like it 5

Turkey parole made from  turkey stock (after the bird is cleaned up), some beans, hominy, poblano peppers, onions and Mexican spices.  It is an annual tradition for us.  Served with cilantro, green onion, fresh wedge of lime and hot sauce to taste.  Taquitos on the side.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Turkey parole made from  turkey stock (after the bird is cleaned up), some beans, hominy, poblano peppers, onions and Mexican spices.  It is an annual tradition for us.  Served with cilantro, green onion, fresh wedge of lime and hot sauce to taste.  Taquitos on the side.

image0.jpeg

That sounds and looks delicious!  

9 hours ago, markandrex said:

image0.jpeg

Looks mighty good.

Did spell check change pozole.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

Looks mighty good.

Did spell check change pozole.

That it did!  No parole for that bird!😂

My friends from Jalisco really liked pozole.  They made it with a pork base, otherwise very similar.

That reminds me, if you have leftover turkey dark meat, shred it and put in a casserole dish with a lid.  Add some barbeque sauce and warm on a low heat in the oven.  This makes bbq for sandwiches that rivals really good pulled pork.

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was in the mood for burgers this weekend and decided to make Juicy Lucys.  Rather than put a slice of american cheese in the middle, I decided to put a dollop of Pimento Cheese spread.  Cooked them on the griddle and they were excellent.

• I like it 1

The leftovers from a four rib standing rib roast.  Everything mashed potatoes and asparagus sides.

IMG_9733.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Three rib roast. 

Not pictured,  garlic mashed taters, garlic green beans & sauted mushrooms.

20231225_193226.jpg

20231225_193543.jpg

You cooked that beautifully.  👍🏻

Today, I whipped up a pot of chili.  A couple times a year I’ll smoke a large 15+lbs Costco Prime full packer brisket.  We’ll get a couple of delicious immediate meals out of it, but the treasure is cutting up and freezing the balance in separate 8 ounce packages for future soups, tacos, beef and noodles…but, mostly chili.  Damn, it’s good in chili!  😋

28E473A7-D3A5-44ED-8A49-231E46B23198.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

You cooked that beautifully.  👍🏻

Today, I whipped up a pot of chili.  A couple times a year I’ll smoke a large 15+lbs Costco Prime full packer brisket.  We’ll get a couple of delicious immediate meals out of it, but the treasure is cutting up and freezing the balance in separate 8 ounce packages for future soups, tacos, beef and noodles…but, mostly chili.  Damn, it’s good in chili!  😋

28E473A7-D3A5-44ED-8A49-231E46B23198.jpeg

Thanks and Damn!

That sounds great.  I do something similar with those Prime packers, except I vacuum seal the slices into meal-sized portions and freeze the point for burnt ends. I never thought to use it in chili...I'll have to remedy that. 

I render the fat after trimming for tallow, and stick a small glob of the tallow in the vac-sealed packages which makes for tender,  juicy slices when reheated in the sous vide.

Funny you should mention chili. We're playing Dallass on Sunday, so I'm whipping up a big batch of Texas-style chili tomorrow for Sundays  tailgate.  I have no illusions that we have a chance against dem Boyz, but we always win the tailgate😁

We're not even going into the stadium. Plan is to tailgate, pack up, and go home😎  

My first stab at Momofuku (with sesame panko chicken, cilantro and soft boiled eggs).  Turned out pretty decent.

IMG_1992.JPG

• I like it 2

Anybody else notice that a well-cooked brisket flat stays around almost as long as a whole ham when only two people are eating it?  WEEKS!:wacko:

EDIT - Sunday breakfast will be brisket hash - LOTS!   If we'd cooked a ham, it'd be a huge ham and cheese omelet.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

We made a pork/chicken/beef Asian meatloaf  from Sam the Cook Guy on YouTube.  It was outstanding!  It tasted like the inside of a dumpling!  

Attachment.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

VD dinner. Seared the steaks in my 1920s Griswold cast iron.

20240214_191419.jpg

• I like it 1

Recently out at a restaurant our 9 year old ordered onion rings. I warned her they won't be nearly as good as the ones we make at home. She was undeterred, and then when she got them she took one bite, left the rest, and admitted she should have listened to dear old dad. To remedy her experience I made some of ours tonight to go with our burgers. These literally cannot be beat anywhere. So simple, so light, so good. 

PXL_20240218_003522273.jpg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, dcbt said:

Recently out at a restaurant our 9 year old ordered onion rings. I warned her they won't be nearly as good as the ones we make at home. She was undeterred, and then when she got them she took one bite, left the rest, and admitted she should have listened to dear old dad. To remedy her experience I made some of ours tonight to go with our burgers. These literally cannot be beat anywhere. So simple, so light, so good. 

They look awesome!

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

They look awesome!

16 hours ago, dcbt said:

Those do look good!  Hard to beat a nice light onion ring.  Would you share your recipe and method?

• I like it 1