What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought I’d try a slightly different approach fo the “What Bourbon Are You Drinking ?” thread. Please feel free to pm me with any pro or con comments. Or just sit back, enjoy, and shut the heck up. 😂 

Anyway, it’s an Old Forester night for me so far. Of 100, and a ps OFSB so far. The OFSB  is the winner tonight in my book, but by just a small margin. I’m now thinking about a couple of other OF’s I have, and am wondering how they might stand up to this informal SBS. I have an OF Repeal set, and a somewhat dusty 375  OF BIB in my bunker. Tempting.......😈

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I thought I’d try a slightly different approach fo the “What Bourbon Are You Drinking ?” thread. Please feel free to pm me with any pro or con comments. Or just sit back, enjoy, and shut the heck up. 😂 

Anyway, it’s an Old Forester night for me so far. Of 100, and a ps OFSB so far. The OFSB  is the winner tonight in my book, but by just a small margin. I’m now thinking about a couple of other OF’s I have, and am wondering how they might stand up to this informal SBS. I have an OF Repeal set, and a somewhat dusty 375  OF BIB in my bunker. Tempting.......😈

Biba! Joe

I thought you only drank the wheated stuff.  🤪

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I thought you only drank the wheated stuff.  🤪

Hello. My name is Joe, and I have whiskeyrexia nervosa. 🤔 That’s my story, and I’m really trying to stick to it. 😬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I, too, suffer from WhisNerv.  I am treating it tonight by consuming WT RB 116.8.  With water, of course, so I don't fall out of my LayZBoy (which would be a feat in itself!! considering how deeply settled in it I am).  THANK YOU for letting me come clean.  I shall celebrate my cleanliness by pouring ANOTHER two inches - this time without water.  Need to sleep well tonight.:P

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

With water, of course, so I don't fall out of my LayZBoy (which would be a feat in itself!! considering how deeply settled in it I am).  

Manual or power? 😄

23 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Manual or power? 😄

Manual, of course.  I'm NOT a wuss.  Plus, experience told me the power version sometimes pitches me out on my face and that was just in the showroom.  AND, with the manual, operating the lever (I got the BIG chrome one, not the short wood one) tells me when I've had enough - if I have trouble, I stop drinking until I can get out.👍😃

All this typing means I just HAVE to pour a little more in my Tervis tumbler which used to have just water and ice in it.  I may sleep here tonight.

• I like it 8

Sitting on my non-reclining basement couch while enjoying small pours of SAOS 5yr store pick and New Riff SiB (I assume NR is the accepted abreviation?). Both nice for 4-5 yr bourbons. 

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Sitting on my non-reclining basement couch while enjoying small pours of SAOS 5yr store pick and New Riff SiB (I assume NR is the accepted abreviation?). Both nice for 4-5 yr bourbons. 

JCw, you and I have had some of this conversation before re: New Riff - I have STILL not seen one in the wild, not that I've looked hard.  I shall open my eyes open wider when I hit some stores in JAN.   The recent SAOS releases are something else, though.  While not as good as the SAOS releases of the 2014-2016 period, they are not bad.  Back then, John Little, their blender and sometime SB poster, did a masterful job of giving us all products that exemplify what "nondistiller producer" and "rectifier" should have meant.  Maybe competition has reduced his ability to grab excellent barrels.  Whatever, I find the current SAOS to be much better than average but "not what they were when I was younger and in my prime."

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

JCw, you and I have had some of this conversation before re: New Riff - I have STILL not seen one in the wild, not that I've looked hard.  I shall open my eyes open wider when I hit some stores in JAN.   The recent SAOS releases are something else, though.  While not as good as the SAOS releases of the 2014-2016 period, they are not bad.  Back then, John Little, their blender and sometime SB poster, did a masterful job of giving us all products that exemplify what "nondistiller producer" and "rectifier" should have meant.  Maybe competition has reduced his ability to grab excellent barrels.  Whatever, I find the current SAOS to be much better than average but "not what they were when I was younger and in my prime."

Harry, I look forward to reading your opinion on NR bourbon and rye (at 4 years I like the rye more than the bourbon). 

On a side note, I've been OGD BIB dry for darn near 2 years. I shall remedy this situation soon. Right now I'm with fishnbowljoe and 0895 in being proud for not buying anything yet in 2021! 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Who are you and what have you done with Joe!

Speaking of you, I'm channeling you tonight as I'm on my second pour of the RY10 I opened for the holidays. It is absolutely square in the center of my wheelhouse tonight. 

• I like it 3

I started with some SAOS Port Cask Finish Rye, this first batch is SO good. I then finished off a bottle of Stagg Jr Batch 14. Not my favorite batch, but still pretty good. Looking at moving to some 2019 GTS as I watch basketball.

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

Jefferson's Aged at Sea.  Kind of gimmicky, but an ok bottle.  

try it with some sea salt chocolate or sea salt chocolate caramels.

Magic! 

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Magic! 

What kind of sorcery is this?

• I like it 1

Pulled the cork on New Year's Eve on the Woodford Master's Collection. 

To me these have been a mixed bag in the past. Mostly Interesting but a bit pricey for what you get. This is a very nice exception. I knew it had "some" older - up to 17 years old whiskey in it, but I believe there is more of the old stuff than I anticipated. At the same time there is enough younger (probably 6 or 7 years) to keep it from being over-oaked.  Layers of flavor that makes it seem like a higher proof whiskey rather than 90 proof.

Sipping some of that Ezra Brooks Distiller's Collection I brought home and kicking back to some blues...love the caramel/black cherry nose this stuff has. I could just sit here and nose it for a spell...in fact that's what I did! :D  Good flavor and finish for a ~5yo, little burn on the finish but not bad. Might try a splash in it later, see what it does...rather enjoying this one!

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

Magic! 

Try anything with sea salt chocolate caramels...magic!  We love the ones you can buy at Costco!

Not drinking anything but some hot tea tonight but I considered some Maker's. Got my MM Christmas deck of cards finally in the mail today.

20210107_194915.jpg

• I like it 2

Enjoyed a pour of regular Blanton”a single barrel. Have not opened that bottle in awhile, and am now thinking I should visit it more often. It is a good bottle. 

• I like it 6

Started the year cracking a bottle of Blanton's, but moved on to a bottle of ER10. Really like the ER10. I am looking forward to getting my hands on a bottle of OF1920. From everything I have read it is a good pour.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.