What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Last night, I had a (as in 1) dram of 2017 Blanton's SFTB 127.6pf from Barrel No. 886 in Warehouse "H" (of course) on Rick No. 14 with a 2" thick piece of Prime rib, baked potato and sauteed (w/ fresh garlic and olive oil) spinach and mushrooms.  Yummo!  🥰

Then joined SWMBO  to finish off a bottle of 2013 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf-du-Pape.  Needless to say, I slept like a baby and snored like a dragon!   Ain't life grand?!?   🥳

At first, I read your post as "Last night, I had a dream..."  Then when I read what you ate and drank, it reminded me that it is the rest of us who have a dream.

• I like it 2

Lux Row 12 year double barrel.  Sourced whisky.  Dark chocolate, cherry and baking spices.  Very nice.

• I like it 1

The owner of my local stopped by after he got off work because he needed help with a broken cork on a leaky Old Crow Chessman.

Someone gave it to him because it had leaked so bad in transit and the fill level was quite low.

I have a very fine strainer that will pick up all cork bits so we decanted it into an empty 4RLE bottle.

After doing this we each enjoyed a pour. When you get a good Chessman it's a revelatory experience.

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, Wlrogers said:

Having a pour of Batch 7. Great stuff. Very bold. 

Stagg Jr. B7 was a great batch.  I've only had it in a 2 oz. sample tho.  Batch 8 was when I discovered SJr and have been fortunate to acquire multiples of each batch from then on and they've all been great, IMO.  Sadly, SJr has become harder and harder to find and is now becoming a lottery item in many stores in my area.  Thankfully, I have a stash that will, hopefully, last me a few years.

• I like it 2

Elijah Craig SmB K&L store pick 11yr 8mo. No. 5214167. Wow!  This is so much better - deeper, richer, layered and more complex - than the standard NAS version.  A real bargain at $30...

• I like it 3

EC12 was one of the bourbons that really hooked me back in my early days.  Losing EC12 in the marketplace was a blow, but I was fortunately able to soften the blow by stockpiling a bunch.  This is one of the single barrels I still have around.  Taking nothing away from the current Small Batch, but this EC12 hits my sweet spot of age, oak, flavor, etc.  And this is a wonderful barrel.  Cheers.  

2CBA9E42-392B-4512-BA62-ECCAAB1CDE39.jpeg

• I like it 7

I ain't havin' NUTHIN.

I drank through my Blanton's Gold (gave a half bottle to a colleague/refugee down the hall), and now...

...South Africa has had an ALCOHOL BAN since Dec 28 (I ordered my Blanton's right under the wire). It was supposed to be lifted on Jan 15, but has now been indefinitely extended.

The boat is late, so I'm another 11 days in this hotel room, living under 2021 modern day prohibition.

Builds character.

• I like it 3

13 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I ain't havin' NUTHIN.

I drank through my Blanton's Gold (gave a half bottle to a colleague/refugee down the hall), and now...

...South Africa has had an ALCOHOL BAN since Dec 28 (I ordered my Blanton's right under the wire). It was supposed to be lifted on Jan 15, but has now been indefinitely extended.

The boat is late, so I'm another 11 days in this hotel room, living under 2021 modern day prohibition.

Builds character.

Why the hell would they do that? Is this some sort of ill advised covid policy?

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Elijah Craig SmB K&L store pick 11yr 8mo. No. 5214167. Wow!  This is so much better - deeper, richer, layered and more complex - than the standard NAS version.  A real bargain at $30...

Yeah, the NAS version has really fallen off since the early days of that transition. I only drink barrel picks of EC anymore.

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

Why the hell would they do that? Is this some sort of ill advised covid policy?

Yup. The argument is that no alcohol sales (and I mean none) prevents alcohol-related trauma cases in the ERs, preserving all beds for covid patients.

South African Brewers has already pulled billions of investment off the table for 2021 in reaction and is also taking the govt to court.

2 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Yup. The argument is that no alcohol sales (and I mean none) prevents alcohol-related trauma cases in the ERs, preserving all beds for covid patients.

South African Brewers has already pulled billions of investment off the table for 2021 in reaction and is also taking the govt to court.

That is one of the dumbest things I've heard. Lock people and down and don't let them drink! Hang in there my friend!

• I like it 4

14 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

When the populace moves to moonshine and street drugs, that will be a big improvement from beer. 🤬

I bet Canada doesn't seem so bad now.

• I like it 1

I had a pour of Weller SR earlier before supper. Other pours to follow soon. 😉 Been working on a special project all day. 😎

Biba ! Joe

It’s been about a year since I tried a current bottle of Blanton’s.

So tonight while waiting for my carry out  dinner order “to be fixed”, I figured I would give it another go at the bar.

Healthy pour for $15 after tax, so not terribly unreasonable for this restaurant.

I’m sorry, but regular shelf stock BT is better than this IMO.   🤷‍♂️

Not trying to hate.  I like Blanton’s when it’s really good, but it seems like recent bottlings just haven’t been all that wonderful for me.

0A324B82-53C6-4DE9-A5C4-C5554549A51F.jpeg

2 hours ago, flahute said:

The owner of my local stopped by after he got off work because he needed help with a broken cork on a leaky Old Crow Chessman.

Someone gave it to him because it had leaked so bad in transit and the fill level was quite low.

I have a very fine strainer that will pick up all cork bits so we decanted it into an empty 4RLE bottle.

After doing this we each enjoyed a pour. When you get a good Chessman it's a revelatory experience.

Abso-freaking-lutely!

• I like it 2

a friend sent some WT decades. I compared it to a rare breed, kentucky spirit, bond and lillard, and my favorite RR SiB pick to compare it to as well. This Decades is insane. What a nose! Wow.

There is one on the shelf near me, but I just can't go the $250 they are asking for it.

Having a sbs of OF100 and ET BIB. I put a few drops of water in the ET, as that's its sweet spot.

Dang, these are just crazy good for >$25.

• I like it 3

Enjoyed some KC 12 yr last night - wow, as Yoda might say - late to that party I was.  Delicious stuff.  Despite not being the same mashbill, there were elements that reminded me of OGD 114 (burnt brownie corners).  Definitely look forward to a longer meet & greet with this one!

• I like it 2

On 1/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, Bourbon Boiler said:

Hey there,

I don't follow the NBA much outside of the Pacers, but I do see Dakota Mathias is getting a little playing time with the Sixers depleted.  Any chance he'll stick around when the team gets healthy?

Last week,  Matthias hit a key three-pointer late in a game that went we pulled out in overtime.    I think he'll stay on the roster;  our bench depth will be crucial as the team is forced to adapt to Covid protocols. 

Per my new year's Bourbon resolution to make Four Roses a more regular part of 2021, enjoyed a couple pours of FR SmBS last night.  

• I like it 2

My New Year's resolution is to stop drinking Bourbon. Per that resolution, and every other resolution I have ever had, I had a pour of KC 12yr. while I watched the Saints-TB game.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.