What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

53 minutes ago, markandrex said:

BBC Discovery  b#3.

35 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Passed up 3 then 4 because of funds. Went back for 4 & was sold...

Kinda sad about that!!!

I've never had any of them side by side.  Discovery #4 was very good, #3 was absolutely magnificent, and the soon to be released #5 was great.  From my somewhat hazy memory banks I'd rank  them #3 by a mile, #5, then #4.   Excited to revisit the #5 once it comes out as I do not recall getting any of the Dickel minerality.  

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Blanton's Gold is super good (IMHO) - 103pf (51.5 ABV).  Blanton's SFTB is even better - you can proof it down to find your sweet spot with little or no drop in flavor, too.   🥰

Blanton's Stash.jpg

Old dining room pic - new bottles now displayed.  Probably time for a new pic, eh?

😆

What is SFTP?

7 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

What is SFTP?

SFTB: Straight From the Barrel. It's the barrel proof Blanton's 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I've never had any of them side by side.  Discovery #4 was very good, #3 was absolutely magnificent, and the soon to be released #5 was great.  From my somewhat hazy memory banks I'd rank  them #3 by a mile, #5, then #4.   Excited to revisit the #5 once it comes out as I do not recall getting any of the Dickel minerality.  

where would you rank the #2 discovery series with the others?

Finally, it's the last pour bottle kill for "The Mallet".   It wasn't so bad to get regulated to the unloved corner of the cabinet with the Southern Comfort and Herbsaint.  On the other hand, it won't be replaced.  My best description - imagine if you mixed standard MM with some vodka, about half and half.  There are too many decent brands from legacy distillers to mess with this.  If Geeten tries to warn you about Spirits Direct - you all better listen. ☝️

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Finally, it's the last pour bottle kill for "The Mallet".   It wasn't so bad to get regulated to the unloved corner of the cabinet with the Southern Comfort and Herbsaint.  On the other hand, it won't be replaced.  My best description - imagine if you mixed standard MM with some vodka, about half and half.  There are too many decent brands from legacy distillers to mess with this.  If Geeten tries to warn you about Spirits Direct - you all better listen. ☝️

Lol what's his beef with Spirits Direct? Know I need to know.

43 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Lol what's his beef with Spirits Direct? Know I need to know.

It's what Total Wine wants you to buy because they get the best margin on it. If it's a private selection of Russell's Reserve or 4R, it might be OK. Everything else? PASS!!!

• I like it 2

On 3/28/2021 at 9:52 PM, 0895 said:

While we’re talking about dogs, my good friend from high school just got a new house and a new puppy.

As someone who has always been a bit of a loner, it was rather amusing watching him fawn all over his new little girl.  He’s going to be a great dog father.

Back on the subject of bourbon, I took my 4RYL bottle along yesterday to share while we hung out.

The dog loved it.... she kept trying to lick the inside of my glass 😂.

F08D06CF-7ABE-42F5-91CC-FB776BB4A4F3.jpeg

Great looking puppy.  Keep in mind that when God gave us dogs, he didn't put wings on them so that we would not realize that they were angels.  Nothing better than having a fire in the fireplace, a puppy sleeping at your feet, and a good pour to sip.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, steven s said:

where would you rank the #2 discovery series with the others?

Unfortunately I did not try either Discovery #1 or #2.  I went back and looked up the blends and it jogged my memory a bit.  Barton juice is not my favorite house profile, I get a lot of artificial candy banana on the nose and palate.  Reminds me of banana runts.  When Discovery #1 came out the specs were 75% Barton mash and 10% 5 year in the blend.  I was not very interested in dropping $125 on a bottle where 85% of the contents were either not my jam or a bit young to be at that price point.  As a result, the series was not really on my radar and I missed Discovery #2 not realizing the blend was significantly different.  The #2 blend actually looks really good on paper now that I am looking at it!  

Almost as good as the AA I picked up yestersay. This one will be in regular rotation. Excellent for $13/L otd!  The bottom shelf isn’t so bad after all. 

EBFC3A3A-040E-48FF-810A-1C04FBE42D75.jpeg

I’m having a pour (or ?)  of my HH BIB Blend this evening. I’m on vacation this week and had plans to get a lot of projects done. Because of high winds, I didn’t get a darn thing accomplished outside today. I did all the piddly indoor stuff yesterday when the winds were worse. 😒What’s a mother to do?  🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Celebrating my parents (90 & 84 yo) getting their 2nd Covid shot today with some OGD 114!  

• I like it 7

On 3/28/2021 at 11:38 PM, LvR Mike said:

Interesting take on the Lot B. Never had it so I have to live through you right now.

How was the Blanton's gold? What's the ABV on that bad boy, as well? And how does it compare to a regular Blanton's?

ABV has been covered at 51.5

Every barrel is different - but my last few bottles of Blanton's have been VERY spicy. For my tastes, I had to splash a LOT of water into them.

Worth it for a bit of that Mashbill 2 Vanilla/Pear thing, although I think my recent bottles could have done with a few more years in the barrel to settle down.

Would I buy another and take another gamble? Yes if the price was right. 

Opened up my recent Isaac Bowman acquisition last night.  I don't have too much experience with port barrel finishes (limited to Legent and Angel's Envy) but I do like this one.  I like it much better than their standard bourbon.  Reminds me more of Legent than AE.  Some sweetness along with the dark fruit flavors is nice.  A little bit of baking spice and I also picked up a slight chocolate note on the finish.   

IMG_20210329_163842623.jpg

A gorgeous pour of Maker Cask Strength at the end of a long day.  Hustled my arse off today, but time will tell if it paid off.

6A4B27D1-E9C6-425D-80FB-6AB31CF4B903.jpeg

• I like it 7

Lately I have been drinking several proofed-up blends of small batch and barrel proof offerings.  Mostly 1792, Elijah Craig, and Larceny Small Batch bottles in the low-90-proof range and mixing them about 2/3 Small Batch and 1/3 their respective Barrel Proof cousins.  I find it doesn't take much of the Barrel Proofs to add a lot of flavor while not adding much heat.

• I like it 3

Some 6th floor of CNF goodness with some twix from 2019 Halloween. Hey, they've been in the garage freezer, next to the 4RYL, for 17 months! 

20210331_203039.jpg

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

Opened up my recent Isaac Bowman acquisition last night.  I don't have too much experience with port barrel finishes../

I've had tons of experience with barrel finish since that was a new thing.  I was drinking this Bowman last night.  It was good, definitely very good at the price point.  Bowman isn't into price gouging like some other companies.  It's like Eagle Rare with a twist.  Definitely good value.

• I like it 1

MM at Vegas Vickie's, Circa Las Vegas.

Prost!! Phil 

20210331_211354.jpg

• I like it 10

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

EC 12 year small batch

I'm getting down to my last few pours of that. I sure miss having that readily available. 

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A gorgeous pour of Maker Cask Strength at the end of a long day.  Hustled my arse off today, but time will tell if it paid off.

I have never been a MM fan so stayed away from MMCS until recently but that 21-01 batch has made a believer out of me.  Great stuff and only $45/liter.  Now that my former favorites (ECBP, Stagg Jr, Booker's) have become hard to find and expensive, it's good to know that something this good still is readily available and affordable, at least for now...

• I like it 3

Picked up 3 bottles locally this morning of Discovery#4, after finding out yesterday that it was sold out at BBC.  They did not have a bottle of any of the Discovery series bourbons for sale.  Told me they wouldn't until Discovery#5 is released.  I've had them all except for the to-be-released #5, and to me my favorite was #2, until I tried #4 yesterday.  I thought it was fantastic.  But, to be honest, I have enjoyed all of the different iterations of the Discovery series offered so far.  BBC is doing a good job in selecting the bourbons to blend and the proportions of each to use.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.