What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I took the wife to a local brewery and then eating establishment. 

My choices were Jim Beam or Bulleit. I though that maybe I would get lucky and Bulleit would be 4R stock. Nope 🤢

I asked for the check and the waiter brought me a second pour. Lol

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, bayouredd said:

This is exactly what happened to me the 1st year of my journey both with ETL and HM. I have since bought and owned a bottle of each without opening either as of yet. When I do, I think only then can I judge them fairly.

I'm drawing a blank on what HM is?

In any case, in celebration of a promotion at work, I'm having some of my favorite. L&K RR pick called "Soul". Fantastic

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

***Nomination for quote of the year right here.

@LvR Mike dont be surprised if this keeps happening to you along your bourbon journey.  Very few things actually live up to their level of hype.

I believe I've done a good job of not chasing the hype, for the most part. Curiosity does get the best of me sometimes and, for the most part, I'm not usually disappointed by the clout surrounding a whiskey.

** I would like to note that I do enjoy my glencairn glass, which this bar did not have, and can point out that I have had bourbons before that were underwhelming until I later tried it in a glencairn glass. So I'll call this a hung jury until all variables are completely assessed

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I'm drawing a blank on what HM is?

Henry McKenna 10 yr BIB

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

In any case, in celebration of a promotion at work, I'm having some of my favorite. L&K RR pick called "Soul". Fantastic

Ha ha - it took a little time for folx in St. Louis to warm up to it. - peanut butter they said.  But they have come around since I left (I think).  Maybe they were just waiting for me to leave the state before I took it back and drank it all myself???   😅

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

Opened up a NuLu pick from the Ft. Lauderdale Whiskey Society

Happy Easter!

C460D8D5-CBDA-41FB-B2CA-D2C9D2A1AAA8.thumb.jpeg.d07f7ba811d08892568f1723a48859b6.jpeg

• I like it 3

I just pulled out the Joseph Magnus for a before-dinner pour with the wife this Easter Day.  The prime rib is in the oven and smelling fantastic!!  Got a bottle of Honig Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ready to open with dinner.  Life is good.

• I like it 5

Dessert and a great surprise.

When I reached in the cabinet for this one, I saw that there was another bottle behind it, that I didn't know that I had! 🤘🤘🤘

20210404_191105.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, mal00768 said:

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ha ha - it took a little time for folx in St. Louis to warm up to it. - peanut butter they said.  But they have come around since I left (I think).  Maybe they were just waiting for me to leave the state before I took it back and drank it all myself???   😅

All I know is that the night we opened it, it definitely tasted like peanut butter.

Now it has morphed into something else.

🤷‍♂️

As one of the poor unfortunate “soul”s that had to clean up geeten’s stuff, I was the one who adopted this poor orphaned bottle.

No regrets! 😂

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

As one of the poor unfortunate “soul”s that had to clean up geeten’s stuff, I was the one who adopted this poor orphaned bottle.

No regrets! 😂

Hey, I had to catch a plane at 5am the next morning.  Upon further review, I would have been better off staying up all nite with you guys and skip sleep until I got on the plane.  Might have smelled a little funky, but it woulda' been a nice funky.  😜

But I owe all y'all a clean-up after the next SEC Championship at Mizzou in 5 years.  Be there, aloha.  😋

• I like it 5

after somewhat exotics: Woodford flight of rye, malt, wheat, and interesting Fed Noe III project with Courvoisier it's nice to return home to comforts of Russel's Single Barrel and OF 1920.

• I like it 5

After the BT ladder the other night....🤕 I had a medium sized pour of BT as a night cap last night after finally being able to get a little outside work done yesterday. Tonight, a pour of my MM Blend. Back to work tomorrow. 😢

Biba! Joe

PS   Part of my outdoor work was finally getting my outdoor bench stained and sealed. Before and after pics below.

image.thumb.jpeg.7094e6f3b83e69050e37d3dfc456c5cf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.37b49e971947f8d57b586ee2180a1d95.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 4/3/2021 at 6:44 PM, Kepler said:

Ok, emptied the last dregs of that W12, so now I switched to Baker's 7yr while I grill up some filets between games. Baker's is a great grilling bourbon. Well hell, it's a good everything bourbon for that matter.

Hopefully UCLA can at least make a good game of it.

I was so very late to the Baker's party and I had to scramble to try the old SmB after it was announced as discontinued.  Naturally, I thought its delicious and unfortunately only have the one so I don't reach for it often.

I do still think its price (which kept me away for years) puts it into a very competitive arena.

Well fast forward to Saturday night and I poked my head into a tiny LS near the new house for a case of lite beer.  Naturally I checked out the very small bourbon section.  Limited selections, but prices were actually really low (RR10 for $32).  Then I saw a bottle of the old 7yr Bakers.  $45.  Not bad!  While considering I noticed 3x more behind it for a total of 4.  Decided I am going to circle back sometime this week and see if they will take something like $150 cash for all 4.    Fingers crossed, but I also realize I am just fine if I go back and they are gone.  

• I like it 4

35 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I was so very late to the Baker's party and I had to scramble to try the old SmB after it was announced as discontinued.  Naturally, I thought its delicious and unfortunately only have the one so I don't reach for it often.

I do still think its price (which kept me away for years) puts it into a very competitive arena.

Well fast forward to Saturday night and I poked my head into a tiny LS near the new house for a case of lite beer.  Naturally I checked out the very small bourbon section.  Limited selections, but prices were actually really low (RR10 for $32).  Then I saw a bottle of the old 7yr Bakers.  $45.  Not bad!  While considering I noticed 3x more behind it for a total of 4.  Decided I am going to circle back sometime this week and see if they will take something like $150 cash for all 4.    Fingers crossed, but I also realize I am just fine if I go back and they are gone.  

I think you summed up Bakers, perfectly. It is not a choice that you pour because you must. It's kind of a fill in at times, an I'm not sure at times, a yep this will do, an I'm not sure what I want or hmmmmm, pour. Yet it always seems to work when you do!!!

• I like it 1

Do not get me wrong. I love my Mama!!! I tried to call her for Easter, but she was sleeping. Just completed "The Call" 2day...

However, she is 94 years old and quite a character. She makes you understand what a 4-drink minimum means...

Started with an OF SiB

Moved on to a KC12

Next a WR Double Oaked

Now doing a Bulliet 10yr.

All is well, now...

• I like it 2

Trying 1792 Small Batch for the first time. Only other Bartons I've had were VOB and VOB BIB many years ago. Tasting in a Glencairn. Getting a little ethanol with pronounced dark fruits and dried cherries on the nose. More dark fruit along with more subtle corn than many on the palate with a subtle oak and, congruent with what others have noted, a hint of leather. The dark fruit vibe carries through the finish along with oak. This is an interesting whiskey, and I can see myself buying this again. Really enjoying this one, glad I took the chance on it.

TP

• I like it 2

I hauled a KC 9 year out of the bunker.  Nine years old, 100 proof, from a legacy distiller - what's not to like.  I'm landing at the grocery store whenever these are on sale. 🏃‍♂️

• I like it 3

51 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I hauled a KC 9 year out of the bunker.  Nine years old, 100 proof, from a legacy distiller - what's not to like.  I'm landing at the grocery store whenever these are on sale. 🏃‍♂️

I am also in the middle of one of these from before the age statement drop. So good.

• I like it 2

WT101 seems like a nice pour for the deck on a beautiful Spring evening.

• I like it 1

Had an EC +. Then had a couple more. Too Good!

LS got a 94 proof barrel 2 years ago which was better than the standard NAS but not by much. When they got the barrel, it was dropped off with a bit of the barrel strength left in the bottom. They made up several 8 oz tastes for some of their loyal customers. I tried mine and it was a bit hot & rough but tasty. Today I put the last 4 oz into the last 10 oz of the LS Pick.

It was definitely better than the two individually hence EC+.

Have a couple pours left and then gone forever... 😢

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.