What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious on the price of the store pick?  One of our locals recently had an OFSB store pick but I haven't been in to check on availability and price.  I seem to recall OF store picks at 95 proof.  @fishnbowljoe what is the proof of the OF store picks you have been getting?

The OFSB store pick I bought a bunch of a while back was 90°. It’s very reminiscent of the old school OF BIB. Really tasty.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The OFSB store pick I bought a bunch of a while back was 90°. It’s very reminiscent of the old school OF BIB. Really tasty.

Biba! Joe

I will be in the area of this retailer tomorrow so I might just have to stop in and see if they have one available.  I like that they are 100 proof.

8 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I will be in the area of this retailer tomorrow so I might just have to stop in and see if they have one available.  I like that they are 100 proof.

Aside from my love of BT offerings and BIB’s, I also have an affection for  a number of Old Forester products. I have yet to see a OFSB 100 proof in my area. 🤔

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious on the price of the store pick?  One of our locals recently had an OFSB store pick but I haven't been in to check on availability and price.  I seem to recall OF store picks at 95 proof.  @fishnbowljoe what is the proof of the OF store picks you have been getting?

This one was $49 at 100 proof. I plan on opening sometimes this weekend. After finding out it's popularity, I called one of the stores and they said to have sold 36 cases in 2 days. The other store had 5 bottles left and put 2 away for me until Monday...

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

This one was $49 at 100 proof. I plan on opening sometimes this weekend. After finding out it's popularity, I called one of the stores and they said to have sold 36 cases in 2 days. The other store had 5 bottles left and put 2 away for me until Monday...

FWIW, the 90° ones I bought last year were $34.99. This was a non tater store that more often than not has prices generally at msrp.  

Please post some tasting notes redd. Just in case any 100° ones ever show up here....🤞

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 4/1/2021 at 2:45 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Nice grabs!  That is the first of the new 100pf OF SiB picks that I have seen. 

I picked up a couple bottles of this 100 proof private pick back in January.  I guess it is probably a barrel picked by Jackie Zykan but I'm not sure.

I have so many different Old Forester bottles opened already that I haven't opened this one yet but I need to.

20210402_223738.jpg

• I like it 6

Couple I brought back from a brief trip to MO, haven't strayed much from bourbon except for a handful of ryes, a couple wheat whiskys, and a few Irish (gotta remain true to heritage), so the Woodford Malt is a new adventure.  Almost passed on the dusty handle of OF Sig 'cause it was more $ than I pay to stock up on 100pf when passing thru the Holy Lands, but I drained the last of that and will likely be several months at least before another KY area trip so....  

Resizer_16174868181930.jpg

• I like it 3

We went out to dinner with some friends.  After dinner, we needed to stop at Meijer for some twine to hang a sun sail on our deck and to pick up some Easter Candy for tomorrow.  We stopped in the same store where I was literally handed a bottle of WL12 a few weeks ago.  I always stop at the Liquor Department.  I was actually thinking of grabbing an OGDBIB since I had seen earlier in the week it was on sale for $19.99.  They were out.  They were out of a lot of the standards so I strolled down to the end cap just to see what they had.  I was even thinking of grabbing a FRSmB Select since it was on sale for $49.99.  I happened to notice they had some bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel which is unusual for this store or really any store in my area.  Kroger has a few bottles one day and then the next I noticed they were gone.

Anyway, there was no price on the shelf so I went to the scanner.  I was thinking if it was $40 or under, I might grab one.  Most folks in my area would consider that wishful thinking.  I scanned the bottle and it said "Clearance $23.24."  Sometimes the scanners can display the wrong price so I grabbed another bottle and scanned it.  It said "Clearance $23.24"  There were 5 bottles so I picked up three.   My next thought was that it probably wouldn't ring up for that price at the register.  It did.  So I bought the three bottles.  

The receipt reflected the savings off the regular price so I believe they really had put these bottles on clearance.  Now whether on purpose or not, I can't say .   But, this Meijer does some odd things with whiskeys.  Someone had to enter the sale price in the system.  

Resized_20210403_203239.thumb.jpeg.4c4b96eeb1762f24d591e90da66ef8c9.jpeg

image.png.dc6279f29231c0e0c61c451aa68e2850.png

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 17

23 hours ago, 0895 said:

Local got in a new barrel of Knob Creek today.  Very nice!

D457706C-081A-4140-AFDD-16096DC66ECB.jpeg

I picked up that same bottle today as well as another JD sib store pick they had. What are your thoughts on this pick?

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Double C's said:

I picked up that same bottle today as well as another JD sib store pick they had. What are your thoughts on this pick?

I think it’s very good.  Just a hint of peanut, a little fruit, and lots of Beam funk.  Has a very Wild Turkeyness about it that I’m enjoying.

Ive learned the hard way over the past few years to never pass on a KC pick from them.

• I like it 3

Yep, I did it...

I do believe that I am done with the spring bourbon budget. 😭

Unless I stumble onto something I can't live without; in which case selling off a few pairs of My Honey's shoes unbeknownst to her. 🤔

All tested and palate approved SS picks...

20210405_135539.jpg.bb0d73025028f30587b7d90078263672.jpg

• I like it 4

On 4/2/2021 at 10:49 PM, Kepler said:

I picked up a couple bottles of this 100 proof private pick back in January.  I guess it is probably a barrel picked by Jackie Zykan but I'm not sure.

I have so many different Old Forester bottles opened already that I haven't opened this one yet but I need to.

20210402_223738.jpg

Based off what I hear when Jackie is a podcast I would guess that this works just as the president's choice picks where Jackie is picking all of the potential barrels for the program and then Chris Morris is picking from those samples as the "master distiller"

Either way cool there are out and about.  Not thrilled they bumped the price from $35 to $50.  I generally passed at $35 and always opted for the $22 regular 100 pf after having two different picks that were just "meh"

• I like it 2

Got a trio of bottles today...FC 103 (hadn't had it in awhile,) regular Larceny, and one I've never had before, 1792 Small Batch. Been curious to try that one....

• I like it 1

After checking out a couple new (to me) stores and finding nothing out of the ordinary.  I stopped by  the local drugstore,  to get a couple back ups. Since neither Total Wine or ABC have had either, in quite a while.

Knob Creek Single Barrel, 120 proof

BT

KC & BT.jpg

• I like it 4

Added a couple to the “I guess new/temporary” bedroom bar set up. Got a shelf from ikea for 10 bucks and a few bottles to put on it. The AA and HH needed more friends. I was really hoping to keep it a bottom shelf bar (exclusive to only plastic screw tops) who am I to judge 🙃

28EAFF1D-D34E-4207-A26D-19307A3C4271.jpeg

• I like it 8

54 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Added a couple to the “I guess new/temporary” bedroom bar set up. Got a shelf from ikea for 10 bucks and a few bottles to put on it. The AA and HH needed more friends. I was really hoping to keep it a bottom shelf bar (exclusive to only plastic screw tops) who am I to judge 🙃

That little bar looks like my kind of bottom to mid- shelf party!  

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Grain Belt said:

That little bar looks like my kind of bottom to mid- shelf party!  

🤣😂🤣

Traveling out of town tonight.  CC174902-9837-4272-B859-A279312A3782.thumb.jpeg.c6f92cc0ab4355c4dc1b2c96f742212b.jpegI had not seen one on a shelf since December of 2020.  At $17.99 it was priced higher than what it used to be but since it is my favorite and can’t be found anymore I gladly took it home. 

• I like it 7

5 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

I'm with you, except for the plastic bottle.

While you're exploring bottom shelf finds, America's largest retailer has their own house brand.  Stedmans Select (we believe sourced from Barton) 3 years old, 86 proof, comes only in a glass 1.75L @ $18.  

47 minutes ago, ThomasGazelle said:

Traveling out of town tonight.  CC174902-9837-4272-B859-A279312A3782.thumb.jpeg.c6f92cc0ab4355c4dc1b2c96f742212b.jpegI had not seen one on a shelf since December of 2020.  At $17.99 it was priced higher than what it used to be but since it is my favorite and can’t be found anymore I gladly took it home. 

I grabbed a couple cases (or more).. when you cant get your favorite anymore you cant overthink it. I made the mistake with HHBiB6, OE7, Virgin and wish I had been in a position to load up ... dont want to have to ration these.

Edited by FasterHorses

Doc’s appts got me out of the house.  First stop was 3 OGD bib @ $22, plus 1 liter of HH ksbw @ 80 proof, 36 months @ $10.  I like this better than Old Tub, AA, AAA, or even some 80 proffers rumored to be 4 yo.  Uh, non-bourbon made up most of the purchases - replenishing cocktail makings.

THIS calls for a SBSBSBS . . . of sub-48 month (4 year) ksbw s.  Send me your nominees.  I’ve had my two shots so am allowed to enter stores by swmbo now, and I’ve spent less money than I’d budgeted for bourbon and rye.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm with you, except for the plastic bottle.

While you're exploring bottom shelf finds, America's largest retailer has their own house brand.  Stedmans Select (we believe sourced from Barton) 3 years old, 86 proof, comes only in a glass 1.75L @ $18.  

Only plastic bottle is the pint AA.... Com’on man!... I gotta draw the line somewhere 😂

as far as the Stedmans Select, you’ve have my attention and I’ll probably be picking one up when I go back to Indiana since Wally world doesn’t sell booze here (Ohio laws or something)

FEA8AEE3-0A30-4551-835E-9B0A0365415F.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.