What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Doc’s appts got me out of the house.  First stop was 3 OGD bib @ $22, plus 1 liter of HH ksbw @ 80 proof, 36 months @ $10.  I like this better than Old Tub, AA, AAA, or even some 80 proffers rumored to be 4 yo.  Uh, non-bourbon made up most of the purchases - replenishing cocktail makings.

THIS calls for a SBSBSBS . . . of sub-48 month (4 year) ksbw s.  Send me your nominees.  I’ve had my two shots so am allowed to enter stores by swmbo now, and I’ve spent less money than I’d budgeted for bourbon and rye.

I laughed when I read this.  Made me think that your doc set up shop in the liquor store.  I do like the prescriptions. 😁

I think I mentioned this before, but my bottom shelf recommendation would be Henry McKenna 80 proof.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Doc’s appts got me out of the house.  First stop was 3 OGD bib @ $22, plus 1 liter of HH ksbw @ 80 proof, 36 months @ $10.  I like this better than Old Tub, AA, AAA, or even some 80 proffers rumored to be 4 yo.  Uh, non-bourbon made up most of the purchases - replenishing cocktail makings.

THIS calls for a SBSBSBS . . . of sub-48 month (4 year) ksbw s.  Send me your nominees.  I’ve had my two shots so am allowed to enter stores by swmbo now, and I’ve spent less money than I’d budgeted for bourbon and rye.

Benchmark has the "aged at least 36 months" on the neck label. I would say it's not much past that, maybe hours...

1 hour ago, lemonman said:

Benchmark has the "aged at least 36 months" on the neck label. I would say it's not much past that, maybe hours...

Thx.  I forgot about good old BM.

16 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Not sure if all of these are sub-4 year, but they should all be KSBW:

Ancient Age [Buffalo Trace]

Ancient Ancient Age [Buffalo Trace - 3 years old but 90 proof last I looked]

Benchmark [Buffalo Trace]

Heaven Hill White [Heaven Hill]

Old Crow [Jim Beam]

Evan Williams Green [Heaven Hill] (I have read, maybe on here, that this is being discontinued)

Virginia Gentleman [Bowman]

Henry McKenna [Heaven Hill]

Bourbon Supreme [Luxco]

Sam Clay [Heaven Hill]

Old 1889 Brand [Heaven Hill]

JTS Brown (80 proof version) [Heaven Hill]

Old Taylor [Sazerac - not sure what distillate is in use, could be Beam, Buffalo Trace, or a mix because I think the bottles say Clermont and Frankfort still]

Kentucky Tavern [Barton]

You could probably skip trying all of the Heaven Hill products. I'm actually surprised there weren't more Barton distilled products on here, as they are pretty good at doing the low priced thing. I've tried 6 of this list, although the Old Taylor still carried a 6 year age statement when I tried it so not really the same. I'd probably take Virginia Gentleman from the other five, although the name probably has something to do with it.

• I like it 1

Bought a RR SiB from warehouse H 4th floor and Old Dominick Huling Station. I hope these RR SiBs keep hanging around a while in my market. Shelfie bourbons with a couple of those thrown in is all I need. 

• I like it 6

1792 Aged 12 Years. I know people keep saying Small Batch is the best in blinds, I still love 1792 and want to try them all. Dropped a hundo on it, but around here anything good costs more. Here is Augusta, GA. Plus it's Master's week. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Shelfie bourbons with a couple of those thrown in is all I need. 

I wanna be you if I grow up.

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, Bourbon_Jeeper said:

1792 Aged 12 Years. 

I think you're really going to enjoy that one.

It's delicious.

1792 SmB is delicious as well.

• I like it 2

Purchased, opened, and am drinking EW SB "2013". This one is 7 yrs 4 months. It is good, but not particularly inspiring. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Bourbon_Jeeper said:

1792 Aged 12 Years. ...

That's another I've looked for and not found.  I'd pay that for one just to try it.  Crazy, years ago any 12 year a dime a dozen.  World changed.

A wealthy client and occasional drinking buddy brought me a KC 120 Proof Barrel Select.  120 proof and still smooth, what's not to like?  If my client really likes a bourbon, occasionally he'll pick up an extra one for me.  The prior time it was a Kentucky Owl rye.  Occasionally I return the favor, but I am lucky to have suck a good client!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JakeySnakes said:

Purchased, opened, and am drinking EW SB "2013". This one is 7 yrs 4 months. It is good, but not particularly inspiring. 

Thx for this, J.  I used to buy at least one EWSB when it became available which was EVERYWHERE in DC/MD/VA.  Sometime around the drop below 9 years (circa 2017?) I tried a few then stopped - MEH.

You saved me from picking up a Bunker Clunker.  I've been thinking that it's time to pick up an EWSB.  I've only got, maybe, three or four BCs left, and at least two are probably going to get poured out, not even BBQ sauce-worthy.  I have a warm spot for the EWSBs as they were my introduction to the vagaries and serendipity for BOURBON its own self.

• I like it 1

agreed on the EWSB. one of my intros years ago. tried another recently... meh. I would add the VOB100 belongs on your bottom shelf sbsbsbsbs. works better for me than any of the other low enders

VOB 100 is mid shelf for me. 🙂

Which reminds me, I need to go visit that store on the other side of town.

• I like it 2

I like to keep an EWSB around for people who don’t often drink straight spirits or as a “warm up” drink before a high proof flight. Personally, I’d prefer the BiB between the two if I’m just looking to have a drink or two myself 

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

11 hours ago, webfoots said:

I like to keep an EWSB around for people who don’t often drink straight spirits or as a “warm up” drink before a high proof flight. Personally, I’d prefer the BiB between the two if I’m just looking to have a drink or two myself 

Agree with both.  One thing I will say is that these hold up pretty well for a measly 86 proof. 

• I like it 1

On 4/7/2021 at 5:59 PM, JakeySnakes said:

23 hours ago, steven s said:

agreed on the EWSB. one of my intros years ago. tried another recently... meh.

21 hours ago, webfoots said:

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Agree with both.  One thing I will say is that these hold up pretty well for a measly 86 proof. 

The lukewarm commentary on the EWSB prompted me to pick one up today, as it’s been quite awhile and I thought pretty highly of all those I’ve had in the past. I’ll have to spend sometime with this one and see if it holds up to my fond memories.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Mano said:

20210408_120815.thumb.jpg.b1ceda04e9eb158035a90855b9b6dddb.jpg

I find it odd I don’t hear about the RR10 more often. With all the love Turkey gets around here (and well deserved), and the 10 year age statement, seems like it would be a hot item. I suppose the lower proof is a bit of knock against it for many. 

Truth told, I’ve only ever had one bottle and it was pretty early in my bourbon journey so I don’t recall much about it, other than it didn’t blow me away. But I also wasn’t as big a fan of WT101 back then as I am now.  Guess I’m long overdue for a re-visit. 

10 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I find it odd I don’t hear about the RR10 more often. With all the love Turkey gets around here (and well deserved), and the 10 year age statement, seems like it would be a hot item. I suppose the lower proof is a bit of knock against it for many. 

Truth told, I’ve only ever had one bottle and it was pretty early in my bourbon journey so I don’t recall much about it, other than it didn’t blow me away. But I also wasn’t as big a fan of WT101 back then as I am now.  Guess I’m long overdue for a re-visit. 

It's not that RR10 is bad in any way. It just that I have access to Julios L&K society RR sib picks. There just isn't any comparison. I suppose if I was poor and really needed my Turkey fix I would grab RR10.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

It's not that RR10 is bad in any way. It just that I have access to Julios L&K society RR sib picks. There just isn't any comparison. I suppose if I was poor and really needed my Turkey fix I would grab RR10.

It does seem to exist in a weird grey area between WT101 and RR SiB, where one or the other would suit many consumers needs.

15 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I personally love RR10. I much prefer it over ER10 and other bottles in the ~$35 range. I like it much better than WT101

I'm not upset that others continuously look past it. 

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I personally love RR10. I much prefer it over ER10 and other bottles in the ~$35 range. I like it much better than WT101

I'm not upset that others continuously look past it. 

Good to know. It runs ~$42 around here, while I get 1L WT101 for ~$35. RRSiB on the other hand is closer $80. Once I clear some space on my shelf I’m definitely going to bring one of the 10yrs home. 

• I like it 1

Plenty of MM FAE on the shelf at $65. I considered another, but ultimately went the inexpensive route. WT101 for $22 with $5 rebate.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.