What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was going to post and saw that it was time for a new thread, sooooooo……

Numerous trips out and about today. Stuff for the house, stuff for the yard, groceries, stuff we forgot on previous trips…. :huh:  I passed on KC. Twice. 🤔 One store had it for $23.99, the other had it for $39.99. 🤨

Biba! Joe

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I was going to post and saw that it was time for a new thread, sooooooo……

Numerous trips out and about today. Stuff for the house, stuff for the yard, groceries, stuff we forgot on previous trips…. :huh:  I passed on KC. Twice. 🤔 One store had it for $23.99, the other had it for $39.99. 🤨

Biba! Joe

For $24 that’s a steal.

Not today, but in the past couple of weeks I've passed on MM101 recently appearing on local shelves ... passed only because I stocked up a few months earlier because I thought it might go away for a year. 

I really like MM101 but I typically only drink wheaters when I'm in a certain mood or palate situation ... does anybody know the long term plan for the 101 expression here in the US market?

^^^^^^My understanding is that it will disappear, then reappear again... in the 4th quarter holiday season...

• I like it 1

I think I am achieving Zen, I’m in the motherland for work and I passed on everything today. Heading to TPS tomorrow so that may very well change lol.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not today, but in the past couple of weeks I've passed on MM101 recently appearing on local shelves ... passed only because I stocked up a few months earlier because I thought it might go away for a year. 

I really like MM101 but I typically only drink wheaters when I'm in a certain mood or palate situation ... does anybody know the long term plan for the 101 expression here in the US market?

Can't answer your question, but in the Florida panhandle it has not disappeared yet. I'm guessing people here aren't enamored or FL was their drop point market...

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I think I am achieving Zen, I’m in the motherland for work and I passed on everything today. Heading to TPS tomorrow so that may very well change lol.

well at least grab a green label HH 6y/90p while you’re there.

😁

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

well at least grab a green label HH 6y/90p while you’re there.

😁

Great advice right there

• I like it 2

On 5/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, Paddy said:

^^^^^^My understanding is that it will disappear, then reappear again... in the 4th quarter holiday season...

Paddy is correct as confirmed by my friend who works for MM.

I think the masses just haven't caught on yet that this expression is very good. MM just doesn't have any cache with the tater set and is thus far immune to being cleared out.

• I like it 2

I passed an empty shelf space for Woodford Wheat.  The tag was there.  Maybe they'll get more.  A lot of other stuff, like KC was empty space too.

When I started into bourbon exploration, I did not like MM.

Recently I tried it again, and several tastes have been favorable.

A retailer near me has a large selection of single barrel, they taste select themselves.  They have their name on the label.

They have a MM single barrel, I have looked at several times, but still have not bitten. 69.95 

I think probably there are several others I will put before it.

1 minute ago, dwg13013 said:

When I started into bourbon exploration, I did not like MM.

Recently I tried it again, and several tastes have been favorable.

A retailer near me has a large selection of single barrel, they taste select themselves.  They have their name on the label.

They have a MM single barrel, I have looked at several times, but still have not bitten. 69.95 

Is this a MM 46 private pick?  Judging by the price, that would be my guess. A couple of stores in my area have their MM 46 ps’s priced at $89.99. One store has their’s priced at $69.99, and will occasionally  drop it down to $59.99. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

As I remember, it is not 46.  Just MM. I will stop by today, and look again, maybe pic the label. 

Couple months ago, they had a Four Roses single barrel. It was a similar price to the other FR.  It also was quite good. 

They are proud of thei selections, and have their display right by the cash registers. Very well stocked place for this area. 

• I like it 1

I passed on an Elijah Craig 18 for $150 yesterday. Not a marked up price for it these days, but I still can’t bear to pay that much. I think I paid $50 the last time I bought a bottle.

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Is this a MM 46 private pick?  Judging by the price, that would be my guess. A couple of stores in my area have their MM 46 ps’s priced at $89.99. One store has their’s priced at $69.99, and will occasionally  drop it down to $59.99. 

Biba! Joe

Here it is. has a tag on it for Tom's liquor. 

thumbnail.jpg

1 hour ago, dwg13013 said:

Here it is. has a tag on it for Tom's liquor. 

The MM Private Select is basically MM 46 where the store or group doing the barrel pick gets to select the stave combinations used in the finishing. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 5/13/2021 at 9:57 PM, flahute said:

Paddy is correct as confirmed by my friend who works for MM.

I think the masses just haven't caught on yet that this expression is very good. MM just doesn't have any cache with the tater set and is thus far immune to being cleared out.

Out of curiosity, if given the choice between Maker’s 46CS and MM101, which would you choose? I’m not a fan of regular MM (copper penny taste) or MMCS, but I’m willing to take another dip back in the pool. I’ve had a MM barrel pick (don’t recall the stave selection) selected my Ed Bley many years ago that I really liked. But I haven’t been crazy about picks I’ve tried since. 

Edited by DeepCover

54 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Out of curiosity, if given the choice between Maker’s 46CS and MM101, which would you choose? I’m not a fan of regular MM (copper penny taste) or MMCS, but I’m willing to take another dip back in the pool. I’ve had a MM barrel pick (don’t recall the stave selection) selected my Ed Bley many years ago that I really liked. But I haven’t been crazy about picks I’ve tried since. 

I'd go with MM101 and wouldn't even have to think about it. I've had one bottle of MM46 and while I enjoyed it at times I also thought it was weird at times. The stave finishing imparts a particular flavor that is not present in non stave finished whiskey. (To be clear, the stave finishing imparts other flavors that are favorable but to my palate there is always this one flavor present that tells me it's stave finished. I've picked out this flavor blind.) A few of the barrel "picks" have been good to me. Others are ruined by that flavor.

Like you, regular MM and MMCS don't work for me. They have a flavor I describe as "too young". I can't get past it. I recently took a chance on a store pick and found that flavor present as well.

The one and only MM product that doesn't have that flavor is the 101. I have a friend who works for them so from I know that nothing is different in terms of age or barrel selection. It just seems that current MM sings at that proof. He agrees. So, why not just buy MMCS and proof it down? I've tried that though when I did it was a fresh pour that I added water to. So it seems that time to mingle is important.

I've yet to try proofing down MMCS and letting it sit for awhile but I might. Meanwhile I'm perfectly happy to sip on MM101.

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, dwg13013 said:

Compared to the price some people seem to be paying for ETL, ER10, EH Taylor small batch & SiB, Blanton’s, ... $69.95 maybe  not so bad if you look at it that way.

• I like it 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:50 PM, flahute said:

I'd go with MM101 and wouldn't even have to think about it.

Same.....even though I wasn't asked. ;)

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

Same.....even though I wasn't asked. ;)

You are welcome to answer any damn question you want!

6 hours ago, flahute said:

You are welcome to answer any damn question you want!

They don't call hi, "BigRich" for nuthin'!  I just call him "Sir" from a few feet closer to the floor.   😂

• I like it 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, SlowMash said:

I passed on an Elijah Craig 18 for $150 yesterday. Not a marked up price for it these days, but I still can’t bear to pay that much. I think I paid $50 the last time I bought a bottle.

I can confirm that as well. I bought my 1st bottle in Late 04 when my son was born. Finished my last bit when daughter was born in 10. Went looking for a replacement and it had already doubled in price. Could still find them, just $100 by then. Anymore I've almost given up on it unless you are in a raffle or on a very long waiting list to get one, and most are ranging from $125-135 locally if you can get it. There is a lot of very good bourbon out there for way less in price that I have been very happy with!

On 5/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, DeepCover said:

101, hands down. 

I bought a bottle of the 46CS and it's not very good at all.  It drinks much hotter that it's proof and it's a mess.   I tried it twice, and my opinion has not changed.   I'll revisit it in a few months and see if my opinion has changed.

The 101 is really good, but I don't think it's worth the extra $$

For me, the best bang for your buck, is the regular MMCS.   It's usually on sale between $39 - $45 and I like it more than anything else that MM has to offer.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:50 PM, flahute said:

I'd go with MM101 and wouldn't even have to think about it. I've had one bottle of MM46 and while I enjoyed it at times I also thought it was weird at times. The stave finishing imparts a particular flavor that is not present in non stave finished whiskey. (To be clear, the stave finishing imparts other flavors that are favorable but to my palate there is always this one flavor present that tells me it's stave finished. I've picked out this flavor blind.) A few of the barrel "picks" have been good to me. Others are ruined by that flavor.

Like you, regular MM and MMCS don't work for me. They have a flavor I describe as "too young". I can't get past it. I recently took a chance on a store pick and found that flavor present as well.

The one and only MM product that doesn't have that flavor is the 101. I have a friend who works for them so from I know that nothing is different in terms of age or barrel selection. It just seems that current MM sings at that proof. He agrees. So, why not just buy MMCS and proof it down? I've tried that though when I did it was a fresh pour that I added water to. So it seems that time to mingle is important.

I've yet to try proofing down MMCS and letting it sit for awhile but I might. Meanwhile I'm perfectly happy to sip on MM101.

Proofing down MMCS works really well.     I prefer that option, over the MM101.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.