What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today was our 28th anniversary. Had a late lunch/early dinner at Bonefish Grill and I had one of their smoked Old Fashioned (made with mm I think?)  Stopped at our favorite ice cream place for dessert.  Went to a friend's this evening and he broke out the PVW20 for an anniversary toast. We had 3 different GTS vintages (15, 16, 20), KoK, and more stuff than you can shake a stick at. Mrs. Clueby even had some of her beloved Stagg Jr.  Was a nice anniversary day.

20210605_161154.jpg

20210605_211725.jpg

20210605_230603.jpg

20210605_213859.jpg

20210606_000808.jpg

20210605_233521.jpg

• I like it 23

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Today was our 28th anniversary. Had a late lunch/early dinner at Bonefish Grill and I had one of their smoked Old Fashioned (made with mm I think?)  Stopped at our favorite ice cream place for dessert.  Went to a friend's this evening and he broke out the PVW20 for an anniversary toast. We had 3 different GTS vintages (15, 16, 20), KoK, and more stuff than you can shake a stick at. Mrs. Clueby even had some of her beloved Stagg Jr.  Was a nice anniversary day.

20210605_161154.jpg

20210605_211725.jpg

20210605_230603.jpg

20210605_213859.jpg

20210606_000808.jpg

20210605_233521.jpg

Congrats you two - SWMBO and I will be celebrating our 44th on the 18th with a quiet dinner for 2 at The Capital Grill with our wine locker.  Did you get a hotel room last night 'cause it doesn't look like you passed on too many bourbons??????   😉

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

8 hours ago, Clueby said:

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Congrats you two - SWMBO and I will be celebrating our 44th on the 18th with a quiet dinner for 2 at The Capital Grill with our wine locker.  Did you get a hotel room last night 'cause it doesn't look like you passed on too many bourbons??????   😉

Congratulations to all of you! 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ha..no hotel room this time. I slowed waaay down pretty early this time but apparently not early enough to notice this was in the "pass" thread vs. the "drinking" thread!? 🤷‍♂️. Happy Anniversary to you and SWMBO!

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Ha..no hotel room this time. I slowed waaay down pretty early this time but apparently not early enough to notice this was in the "pass" thread vs. the "drinking" thread!? 🤷‍♂️. Happy Anniversary to you and SWMBO!

Ha! Good one. And congrats to you as well!

• I like it 1

On 6/5/2021 at 2:47 AM, GeeTen said:

Luckily, a couple of the diving officials were right there with us.  Felt a lot better after that SEC week than the Sunday morning I flew out of St. Louis last February!!!  😳

Just some good ol' Midwestern hospitality! 

• I like it 1

Passed on a W12 at $139.99. "Just arrived today" the guy said when I asked the price (it was behind the counter). Not the worst I've seen near me, but still an easy pass. No doubt will be gone by tomorrow.

Also passed on all the different BT white dog mash bills at $16.99. First time seeing them out.

And of note, have been seeing Cardinal Spirits BPSB at $46.99 at 2 different stores near me. From their site, it's 5 year MGP non-chill filtered at 113.4 proof, which is intriguing...

22 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

Passed on a W12 at $139.99. "Just arrived today" the guy said when I asked the price (it was behind the counter). Not the worst I've seen near me, but still an easy pass. No doubt will be gone by tomorrow.

Also passed on all the different BT white dog mash bills at $16.99. First time seeing them out.

Don’t blame you for passing on the W12. I would have too. You might want to check out one or more of the BT white dogs though. I visited BT many times when they were distilling the #1 and #2 mash bills. They were pretty good right off the still. At long last I visited when they were distilling the wheated mash bill. 😁 You know me and my love for wheaters/Weller’s. It was wonderful. I bought a couple of the wheated 375’s at a nearby store. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I didn't pass. I just haven't bought yet.  One of the larger local chains is selling MM101 for $29.99.  This is the lowest price I have seen.  Unfortunately, they are pumping up the perspective that it might become allocated. I will pick up some this weekend.

• I like it 1

Was picking up some wine today & saw MMCS is on sale for $32.99. Passed on it, because I need to do some research on the 20-05 bottling, which I have not had; that's all they had on the shelf. Anybody have any input on the 20-05?

About 1 week ago, wife and I were vacationing for our 34th Anniversary down at Disney/Orlando.  At Disney Springs, at the Polite Pig and Bourbon Bar, I took these photo's of their bourbon pour offerings.  I had already bought a bottle for the room, so I didn't order any pours.  But this was the first time seeing some of these bottles available for pours, and quite a few bourbons I have not had the chance to try.   But geeeesh, those prices!!  I guess I am just a cheapskate.  Went back to the room and had a few pours for a nightcap without breaking the bank.

536797767_20210605_2046321.thumb.jpg.405a369b76cb2e98b6e216bd6d2adcfc.jpg

1339261061_20210605_2046121.thumb.jpg.43bfee8fd54235a629eabb2c2d6d79e0.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Richdel said:

About 1 week ago, wife and I were vacationing for our 34th Anniversary down at Disney/Orlando.  At Disney Springs, at the Polite Pig and Bourbon Bar, I took these photo's of their bourbon pour offerings.  I had already bought a bottle for the room, so I didn't order any pours.  But this was the first time seeing some of these bottles available for pours, and quite a few bourbons I have not had the chance to try.   But geeeesh, those prices!!  I guess I am just a cheapskate.  Went back to the room and had a few pours for a nightcap without breaking the bank.

536797767_20210605_2046321.thumb.jpg.405a369b76cb2e98b6e216bd6d2adcfc.jpg

1339261061_20210605_2046121.thumb.jpg.43bfee8fd54235a629eabb2c2d6d79e0.jpg

Jim Beam Black never looked so good.

:)

• I like it 3

On 6/10/2021 at 5:29 PM, JakeySnakes said:

And of note, have been seeing Cardinal Spirits BPSB at $46.99 at 2 different stores near me. From their site, it's 5 year MGP non-chill filtered at 113.4 proof, which is intriguing...

I have a Cardinal bottle and think it is pretty tasty.  Certainly better than the 5yr SAOS picks that came out last year.  I will probably not replace, but am happy I had one.  

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Jim Beam Black never looked so good.

:)

LMAO!  

• I like it 1

I have a hard time paying more than $80-100 for a bottle unless it’s some 🦄 I’m chasing, but $100+ for a couple ounces?!??? It’s not that serious JB black it is…..

*I hope they’re at least 2oz pours……

I passed on a HH7BiB that was just sitting on the shelf.  Wasn't a bad price (was near msrp) but thankfully i have a stash of the 6yr HH BiB plus I also squirreled away quite a few age stated HH bottles in the same family like FC103 6 yr and Ezra 7yr 101.  I don't feel the need to pay almost triple the price for the new label.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I passed on a HH7BiB that was just sitting on the shelf.  Wasn't a bad price (was near msrp) but thankfully i have a stash of the 6yr HH BiB plus I also squirreled away quite a few age stated HH bottles in the same family like FC103 6 yr and Ezra 7yr 101.  I don't feel the need to pay almost triple the price for the new label.

Experience = Wisdom.  

I had a 1.75L BT in my basket.  The price was right $43.99.  I guess my basket was getting heavy.  I may pick up one tomorrow.

• I like it 2

$60 for HMK10 at a couple of stores over the weekend left me shaking my head.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

$60 for HMK10 at a couple of stores over the weekend left me shaking my head.

Yeah...MSRP here in NC just made the jump to $60. It was good while it lasted.

So I’m on the web looking for a local that stocks Sazerac rye and I don’t find anything but I see that a place has Thomas H. Handy for 39.99!  LINK .  I go there and don’t find it on the shelf but I do find Sazerac rye there.  I ask at the counter, show a picture and show their website that shows the picture and $39.99 price. The guy looks around and finds it behind the counter. He looks at the picture on my phone from his website, and says ‘this is it’.  Then he scans it and says $800. I tried arguing (nicely) but I did not walk out with it.

32 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

So I’m on the web looking for a local that stocks Sazerac rye and I don’t find anything but I see that a place has Thomas H. Handy for 39.99!  LINK .  I go there and don’t find it on the shelf but I do find Sazerac rye there.  I ask at the counter, show a picture and show their website that shows the picture and $39.99 price. The guy looks around and finds it behind the counter. He looks at the picture on my phone from his website, and says ‘this is it’.  Then he scans it and says $800. I tried arguing (nicely) but I did not walk out with it.

Should just order it online for curbside pickup. See how that plays out.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, lemonman said:

Was picking up some wine today & saw MMCS is on sale for $32.99. Passed on it, because I need to do some research on the 20-05 bottling, which I have not had; that's all they had on the shelf. Anybody have any input on the 20-05?

Out of all the large distillery’s I’ve visited Makers strives for barrel consistency more than anyone else. Rotating barrel locations to make a very consistent product. I’d not be too concerned about batch differences on this one. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.