What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

59 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have found myself passing on a lot of things recently. I rocked into 7 or 8 stores this weekend and walked out with nothing. In each instance, I told my wife, who willingly accompanied me that they had some interesting things but their prices were too high.  She knows me so she plays along like I must have a valid point when I probably don't.

It seems like more stock has been hitting the shelf recently but with a step up in pricing.  C'mon now, a man needs his bourbon but at a fair price.  I might just need to build a still in my backyard.  Nah, today's bourbon is for the most part fairly price.  I am just a Cheap Bastard.

If I didn't know better,  I'd think I wrote that.

• I like it 6

Just now, Clueby said:

If I didn't know better,  I'd think I wrote that.

Ditto.🙄 Nothing I’ve seen for a while has tripped my trigger. I’ve even passed on a few good things at fairly decent prices. WTF? 🤒

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am just a Cheap Bastard.

And your point is . . . . . .  ?   🤣

Me too - and getting grumpier in my old age.  Awaiting doctor's ok for a wee dram of bourbon with dinner.  My bottle of Joe's 2018 Weller Blend has been sitting at my place at the dining room table with an empty SB.com Glencairn for tooo long.  🤬

• I like it 8

My friend was at a resort in SoCal for a wedding over the weekend.  The bar had WLW...so he had to ask.  "Seven fifty".  Wait....750...dollars?? For one pour? Yep.

Blanton's was $50.  CEHT Small Batch was $75.  Per pour!

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

My friend was at a resort in SoCal for a wedding over the weekend.  The bar had WLW...so he had to ask.  "Seven fifty".  Wait....750...dollars?? For one pour? Yep.

SoCal - 'nuff said.   🤬

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

That might be a new record.   Assuming 2 ounce pours (1 ounce pours would be unreasonable at $750- BAHA)

at 12 pours per bottle is only a whopping $9000 for a $125 bottle - so quite the markup maybe.  

SMH vigorously......

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Rough, but this is why it’s smart to bring a flask to such events.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And your point is . . . . . .  ?   🤣

Me too - and getting grumpier in my old age.  Awaiting doctor's ok for a wee dram of bourbon with dinner.  My bottle of Joe's 2018 Weller Blend has been sitting at my place at the dining room table with an empty SB.com Glencairn for tooo long.  🤬

Crotchety when cut off!  😀

You will be drinking, dancing, and .... before you know it!

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Rough, but this is why it’s smart to bring a flask to such events.

There are unfortunately, quite a few dry wedding in my part of the country.  So yes, a flask is a minimum requirement. 

• I like it 1

Passed on the new Dickel 8 year @$34.99, which is too steep for me for what it is.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:02 AM, BigRich said:

There are unfortunately, quite a few dry wedding in my part of the country.  So yes, a flask is a minimum requirement. 

I don't even understand the concept of a dry wedding.

• I like it 7

On 7/23/2021 at 10:23 PM, Tony Santana said:

My parents were both born in Chicago.  After we had lived in Indiana for some years, they were invited to a neighbors daughter's wedding.  Children were not invited.  After the church service, generic cheap cookies and Kool aide were provided.  They talked about that one for a while. 

On 7/23/2021 at 10:23 PM, Tony Santana said:

I'm not going to pretend that I can explain it. 

• I like it 1

Whenever my son gets married, it's going to look like one of those "show us your stash" photos. 🤩

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

I'm not going to pretend that I can explain it. 

We attended a 3 day Indian wedding that was alcohol free and vegan. There was a run for some spaghetti and meatballs and a trip to the local liquor store.

• I like it 6

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

We attended a 3 day Indian wedding that was alcohol free and vegan. There was a run for some spaghetti and meatballs and a trip to the local liquor store.

I imagine that Indiana Jones in India movie, then a giant water pipe with multiple hoses for the guests. 🧞‍♂️🧞‍♀️

Sorry but these where like half the price only a few years back.  This was a shop in France..

E3DFA2AD-35C2-4A53-B550-5FD3DB73C628.jpeg

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 1

Had to pass on the Batch 41 JMCB "MI Only Release" today... When the owner mentioned it, I reached for my wallet... When he said "$425" I left it in my pocket... LOVE the bourbon but can't support that pricing... Patiently awaiting the next MI release

On 7/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, Tony Santana said:

And don’t even get me started on a “dry” wake,  what is that about?
Some of my best  times were “Irish” wakes for departed friends and family.

• I like it 3

On 7/29/2021 at 3:40 PM, M777 said:

passed on these; see purchases thread for the buys.

Blantons 80$

EHT sm batch 50$

WSR 89$ and 59$ for a 1.75, 29$ and 49$ for a 750

ER 50$ at numerous places

EC A121 75$

KC12 75$

want another KC12, was tempted. Anyone know the msrp on this one? I rarely see it.

also 3 places had a cigar blend- $240, $260, $375

I would love to try one, but pass

Edited by steven s

On 7/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, lemonman said:

Passed on the new Dickel 8 year @$34.99, which is too steep for me for what it is.

8 year age statement.  Can't think of anything off the top of head that can match that for that price.

P.S.  Oops just thought of one:  EW SiB vintage.  That's a good comp.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, steven s said:

passed on these; see purchases thread for the buys.

Blantons 80$

EHT sm batch 50$

WSR 89$ and 59$ for a 1.75, 29$ and 49$ for a 750

ER 50$ at numerous places

EC A121 75$

KC12 75$

want another KC12, was tempted. Anyone know the msrp on this one? I rarely see it.

I’m in western PA (a control state), and I paid $59.99 for a KC 12 about a month ago. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.