What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some time to kill so I popped in a few local stores and passed on the usual suspects:  McKenna 10-yr at $100-$150, Weller Reserve at $100 and up, etc.  I did see an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917 for $99 and was sorely tempted, but ultimately passed.  That one may gnaw at me.

• 2 weeks later...

We had to grab a couple of things from the grocery store today. Stuff to make things  for our family 4th party at my niece and Galvin0791’s house tomorrow. 😁We took the easy route this time, and went to the Schnuck’s just a few blocks from our house. The locked liquor case is on the way out. I passed once again on a MM Private Select, and a MM Private Selection, both picked for Schnuck’s. I intended to post this before, but always forgot to take a pic. My wonderful wife reminded me today. 😉 The pic is truly worth a thousand words. 🤪

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.0ee9688666ec5dc3207a9db0140221ff.jpeg

• I like it 2

34 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We had to grab a couple of things from the grocery store today. Stuff to make things  for our family 4th party at my niece and Galvin0791’s house tomorrow. 😁We took the easy route this time, and went to the Schnuck’s just a few blocks from our house. The locked liquor case is on the way out. I passed once again on a MM Private Select, and a MM Private Selection, both picked for Schnuck’s. I intended to post this before, but always forgot to take a pic. My wonderful wife reminded me today. 😉 The pic is truly worth a thousand words. 🤪

Biba! Joe

Well, that's $5 cheaper than an excellent store (with GOOD pickers whose palates match mine) is offering its current MM PS pick.  Your SALE price is $5 cheaper than I can get it, that is.

Like some others here, I went shopping for - an extended vacation at a lake (where I am now), the rest of Summer when we get home, shortages of staples we always consume, and anything novel I see.  Also, like some others here, I passed on the HMcK 10 I saw (all at or above $60 even though my bunker stash of a honey barrel is getting low).  I also passed on novelties and anything over $30 a 750.  STILL came home with a couple 6-bottle carriers not including wine, gin, etc., or mixers/soft drinks.

EDIT - Oh, yeah. Caramel pound cake?????  My teeth ache just thinking about it.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
an oh yeah moment
  • I like it 2

A couple of stores in my general area have had MM  Private Selections priced at $69.99. When on sale, the price dropped to $59.99. One store even went as low as $54.99. The main reason I posted this was because of the Toasty Caramel Pound Cake. Has anyone else heard of these with specific names/tasting characteristics like this? Different for sure.

Biba! Joe

11 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Has anyone else heard of these with specific names/tasting characteristics like this?

Yup. A store a friend of mine frequents has named their private selections similarly - French Toast and Bananas Foster, Chocolate Orange, Twix - the last of which included a picture of said candy bar on the label. Trademark issue much?

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

The "toasty caramel pound cake" is very nice.

I grabbed one of the 2021 releases of it here recently.

Decent sale price too.

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A couple of stores in my general area have had MM  Private Selections priced at $69.99. When on sale, the price dropped to $59.99. One store even went as low as $54.99. The main reason I posted this was because of the Toasty Caramel Pound Cake. Has anyone else heard of these with specific names/tasting characteristics like this? Different for sure.

Biba! Joe

C'mon.  I live in Wash DC.  Cute names for booze?  Closest we get is Green Hat Gin named after the bootlegger that serviced Congress during Prohibition - the Man in the Green Hat, George Cassidy.  For more info, go to

https://history.house.gov/HistoricalHighlight/Detail/36386

Best I get is - "That's the price.  And, these are the notes the wholesaler gave me to move it.  Take it or leave it."

Not really, but that's my story.:wacko:  OTOH, the two stores I shop the most are pretty good at letting me know what their pickers think - if I ask.

• I like it 2

Mrs. Clueby and I took a drive to a tiger sanctuary this morning and stopped at a couple places on the way home. 

Passed on ECBP $90, EC Toasted Barrel $140 ‽?‽ EC18 $400, McKenna 10 $80, Rebel 10 $80, WSR handle $100, PHC $700, OE7..$50 (thought about that one but couldn't bring myself to reward them).  They also had a THH and WLW but I couldn't bring myself to ask. I think last time I checked the THH was $700 and the WLW was either $1500 or $2000.

They had at least 10 bottles of EC18 and probably 30 bottles of ECBP.

20210705_103951.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Mrs. Clueby and I took a drive to a tiger sanctuary this morning and stopped at a couple places on the way home. 

Passed on ECBP $90, EC Toasted Barrel $140 ‽?‽ EC18 $400, McKenna 10 $80, Rebel 10 $80, WSR handle $100, PHC $700, OE7..$50 (thought about that one but couldn't bring myself to reward them).  They also had a THH and WLW but I couldn't bring myself to ask. I think last time I checked the THH was $700 and the WLW was either $1500 or $2000.

20210705_103951.jpg

Id blame carol baskin for the outrageous pricing….

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Id blame carol baskin for the outrageous pricing….

That b$&!h!

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

20210705_103951.jpg

Well at least the tiger is awesome!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Hmmm. 🤔 I wasn’t aware of a tiger sanctuary near where I live. 🙄 Next time you’re up my way Tim, let me know. We’ll have a pour or two.😉 

Sadly, those prices are very similar to those at a few places in my general vicinity.😒

Biba! Joe

24 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hmmm. 🤔 I wasn’t aware of a tiger sanctuary near where I live. 🙄 Next time you’re up my way Tim, let me know. We’ll have a pour or two.😉 

Sadly, those prices are very similar to those at a few places in my general vicinity.😒

Biba! Joe

Sadly I think those prices can be found near where all of us live. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Sadly I think those prices can be found near where all of us live. 

Yeah, you do have a point there. 😕

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

20210705_103951.jpg

I can see if some jerk store just stumbles upon a desirable bottle or two.

When a place has a huge inventory and nothing is moving, what kind of business model is that. 

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I can see if some jerk store just stumbles upon a desirable bottle or two.

When a place has a huge inventory and nothing is moving, what kind of business model is that. 

It's a grocery store with a large liquor section. I used to buy a lot there as it's a bit outside the metro area and had decent pricing and good selection. Over the last 3 years the prices have just gone up and up and up...full on secondary+ now. I always wonder what the distributors and/or distilleries think about retailers with higher than secondary prices. Do they care really?

12 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Do they care really?

They only care that the store is moving enough of the prescribed base product to qualify for the LE's in the first place.

• I like it 4

On 7/5/2021 at 11:56 PM, Clueby said:

It's a grocery store with a large liquor section. I used to buy a lot there as it's a bit outside the metro area and had decent pricing and good selection. Over the last 3 years the prices have just gone up and up and up...full on secondary+ now. I always wonder what the distributors and/or distilleries think about retailers with higher than secondary prices. Do they care really?

That makes it all that more confusing.  Normally, grocery stores have reasonable prices due to volume, even on LE's.  Is this grocery part of a larger chain?

I didn't know there was such a thing as caramel pound cake.

How does one get bourbon to taste like pound cake ?

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, dwg13013 said:

Doesn't sound like something that I would like, bourbon-wise,  but I would be all over a caramel pound cake! 

I bet that a pour of your favorite wheated whiskey,  and a slice of that cake would be a pretty good combination....

• I like it 2

On 7/10/2021 at 10:01 PM, dwg13013 said:

Crumble up some pound cake and sprinkle it in the bottle. 🤪

• I like it 2

It seems like a few bottles that are generally scarce have been showing up recently.  Not sure if they are recent releases or have been sitting in a warehouse for awhile and finally making their way to the store.  The most notable is Bookers.  I may run across a bottle every month or two.  This bottle was $80 so I passed.  It was in a case so I couldn't clearly read the batch.  I might check Costco since that is where I typically see it.  If there was a recent release, I might find one there in the upper $60s.

WSR 1.75 $89, eagle rare $49, mckenna 10 $56, ECBP A121 $79. bought a KC9 for $28.99

I have found myself passing on a lot of things recently. I rocked into 7 or 8 stores this weekend and walked out with nothing. In each instance, I told my wife, who willingly accompanied me that they had some interesting things but their prices were too high.  She knows me so she plays along like I must have a valid point when I probably don't.

It seems like more stock has been hitting the shelf recently but with a step up in pricing.  C'mon now, a man needs his bourbon but at a fair price.  I might just need to build a still in my backyard.  Nah, today's bourbon is for the most part fairly price.  I am just a Cheap Bastard.

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.