What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was back at the grocery store pharmacy yesterday for my second shingles vaccine and as usual I walked past the liquor case. They still have BT but for once I passed since I've bought one the last three times I was there. A rare moment of discipline. 

• I like it 3

Out and about yesterday. Stopped at Schnuck’s. Passed on all bourbons. Since it was a beautiful day, we decided to stop at an apple orchard in the area. Grabbed some Autumn Gold apples, Fuji apples, some chocolate raspberry fudge, and (drum roll please) brown sugar bourbon glaze. 😋 FWIW, the orchard recently received a celebrity visitor. Link below. Also a couple of pics. Love this time of year. 😁

Biba! Joe

https://www.mystateline.com/news/little-house-on-the-prairie-star-melissa-gilbert-visit-edwards-apple-orchard/

image.thumb.jpeg.93606d565b621e437d6ac7b253101336.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da06af55d8b25438fb99b9e481ffe0b7.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 10/22/2022 at 5:53 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Larceny Barrel Proof for $80.00?

Easy pass.....

The regular version was so inconsistent in my past experience.  It would be hard for me to justify forking over big $ for the barrel proof without trying a sample of said batch.

It's barrel proof what: good whiskey, mediocre, bottom shelf well liquor?  Even if the last bottle was good, may not mean much.

I loved the story Steve's group went to do a single barrel pick - turned down everything.

I'll take advice from those people.  

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, PaulO said:

The regular version was so inconsistent in my past experience.  It would be hard for me to justify forking over big $ for the barrel proof without trying a sample of said batch.

It's barrel proof what: good whiskey, mediocre, bottom shelf well liquor?  Even if the last bottle was good, may not mean much.

I loved the story Steve's group went to do a single barrel pick - turned down everything.

I'll take advice from those people.  

Agreed and that's sage advice.  

On 10/22/2022 at 6:01 PM, flahute said:

Was back at the grocery store pharmacy yesterday for my second shingles vaccine and as usual I walked past the liquor case. They still have BT but for once I passed since I've bought one the last three times I was there. A rare moment of discipline. 

I was in my local Pennsy State Store last week and I saw bottles of BT there for the first time all year.   I passed.   

Passed on Very Olde St Nick variety of rye today.

Really curious if this is just another MGP hoax or if there are some older strains mixed in. Regardless, no one here is buying them.

• I like it 3

Pretty much made the decision to pass on Remus Repeal Reserve VI.   Too many mediocre reviews and $20-$40 more than V was last year.  Hope I'm not wrong, lol.

27 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Pretty much made the decision to pass on Remus Repeal Reserve VI.   Too many mediocre reviews and $20-$40 more than V was last year.  Hope I'm not wrong, lol.

Got a couple coming. I hope im not wrong on the gamble. The remus gatsby price though is a bridge too far…whatever that means. 

• I like it 1

I'd be happy to sample them and be proven wrong, but I am done buying $75-plus bottles based on hype unless I have tired them or have a solid opinion of the particular distillery.  The sliver lining is that I have plenty of bottles to being (and leave) at bottle shares lol.

• I like it 3

43 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I recently tried 6 and subsequently chose not to buy it.  It was a newly opened bottle... hopefully it gets better with air.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Really curious if this is just another MGP hoax or if there are some older strains mixed in. Regardless, no one here is buying them.

You are smart to avoid.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, flahute said:

You are smart to avoid.

Ho Ho Ohhhhhhh!  🤢

Biba! Joe

11 hours ago, flahute said:

You are smart to avoid.

I know there were previous threads on this but does anyone have any updates info on this? Curiosity is getting the better of me 😅

On 10/25/2022 at 9:41 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Two of the local Costco's have had Very Old St. Nick Bourbon in their special bottles case for several months.  Costco generally has pretty good prices and these bottles seem to be significantly below what other retailers are selling it for.  The same thing with Calumet 15 and 16.  

On 10/25/2022 at 10:46 PM, IamMatt said:

I'd be happy to sample them and be proven wrong, but I am done buying $75-plus bottles based on hype unless I have tired them or have a solid opinion of the particular distillery.  The sliver lining is that I have plenty of bottles to being (and leave) at bottle shares lol.

I believe I bought IV for $65 and $72.  I missed out on V, although I recall seeing the MSRP higher than IV.  I would be a buyer at $70 but not a penny more. 😀

• I like it 1

I passed on EB7 BS for $49.99 and $56.99 recently.  I am seeing EB BS @ 4+ years for around $31.99.  Is there that much difference in flavor profile?

I have been seeing a lot of NuLu, Thomas Moore, and Bourbon xxx.  The latter is a joke.  Bourbon xxx is Krogman's.

Saw a bottle of Weller 12 in the wild this weekend, a rare sight these days. At $275, I declined to buy it. On the bright side they did have 4 Roses Single Barrel @ $39.99, which is the best price I have seen in years. I will go back to grab that one as I am down to one in the bunker.

• I like it 4

21 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

The same thing with Calumet 15 and 16.  

The 15 is good, but 16 is better.  All cherries and oak.

• I like it 3

On 11/1/2022 at 9:48 AM, IamMatt said:

Passed on this one PRICED TO CLEAR!

OF Bday.gif

At $60 I'd be all over that.  Shame you can't ship to PA I'd PayPal you immediately lol.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

At $60 I'd be all over that.  Shame you can't ship to PA I'd PayPal you immediately lol.

Mega dittos.

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I believe it says $399.99, it is $60 off.🤔  Regular price was $459.99.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 5

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

I believe it says $399.99, it is $60 off.🤔  Regular price was $459.99.

Way to bring a dose of reality. They saw $60 and were ready to clear the shelf.  😀😜  In all fairness, it is a slightly confusing shelf tag.  

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.