What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, BigRich shamed Flahute into starting a new time appropriate thread in the foreign whiskey section, so Steve’s new thread has shamed me into starting the same in the bourbon section.  😁

Several days into Spring, so getting prepped for the Spring horse racing season with a Woodford Reserve on the front patio this fine afternoon.  Aaaahhhhh, SPRING!!  🌞 🌸 🌷 🐎 ⚾🐣 

• I like it 4

Finishing off the few drams of a blend that I've become quite fond of; in a case where the whole is better than the sum of it's parts!  

Blended 1:1:1 three bottles I wasn't particularly fond of: 5yo Barton SBBP (Three Chords NDP), MGP Smooth Ambler SB, and Glenmorangie La Santa.  

The final result is a lovely blended bourbon loaded with caramel and cinnamon, with just enough sherry involved to ride the proof of the bourbon nicely into the finish.  Hopefully, I'll never have this again...

• I like it 2

17 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Well, BigRich shamed Flahute into starting a new time appropriate thread in the foreign whiskey section, so Steve’s new thread has shamed me into starting the same in the bourbon section.  😁

Several days into Spring, so getting prepped for the Spring horse racing season with a Woodford Reserve on the front patio this fine afternoon.  Aaaahhhhh, SPRING!!  🌞 🌸 🌷 🐎 ⚾🐣 

Is WR really a spring bourbon because of the Kentucky Derby, the Lexington bottle thing or just spring. Me thinks it fits Spring perfectly, so more power to ya; we'll go with that. It is kinda subtle and refreshing...

Watching NCAA Basketball on pretty much every device I have.  Just finished off a pour of Pure Kentucky and following it up with my first pour ever of Boone County.  Pretty mild with a dry finish.  Not too bad.  Can't really define one particular note that stands out.  Not a bad thing but it is interesting that most pours will have something that is very forward in the mouth.  This one, not so much.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Is WR really a spring bourbon because of the Kentucky Derby, the Lexington bottle thing or just spring. Me thinks it fits Spring perfectly, so more power to ya; we'll go with that. It is kinda subtle and refreshing...

The distillery is right in the heart of horse country so I can get behind horse culture in general being a good reason to equate WR with Spring.

• I like it 1

I’m having a couple of pours of my OF blend this evening. 🙂 Maybe more. 😑

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ha! Like brothers........

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

... a Woodford Reserve on the front patio this fine afternoon.  Aaaahhhhh, SPRING!!  

great suggestion.  I looked in office for malt in honor of woodford stout release but only found rye and wheat near to hand.  they were different tonight.  went back & forth between two but about equal drams pulled from bottles in long run.  enjoyable eve.

• I like it 1

Makers 101 tonight. Rather liking this, getting some coffee notes in there amongst the caramel. Lovely. 

• I like it 7

No WR on hand this evening but I like the idea of cheering the sunset with that easy 94 proof.    Mine's a Carl T Huber 4 year bourbon,  from Starlight Distillery in Indiana.   This is from a successful multi-generation vineyard estate,  and is one of the better craft bourbons out there.    A certain pot still oiliness reminds me of Basil Hayden's at a better proof point for sipping.    Glad I picked this up.   

• I like it 3

4 Roses small batch select mixed with some sweet tea and lemon. Went great with the ribs, baked beans, and Mac n cheese. Probably gonna explode later. 

• I like it 5

RR13yr after our dinner of grilled prime sirloin steaks, stir-fried spinach with sliced portobello mushroons and a baked potato.  Had a local IPA (Santilli from Nightshift Brewing in Woburn, MA) with dinner and needed some thing WOW to ease into the night.  Managed to fire up the Weber before the rain started, too.  SWMBO said I didn't snore all night - that's why I only had a wee dram of the RR13. (honest!).   😇

• I like it 6

20 hours in the car starting at 4pm yesterday. Temps went from 74 and Sunny to 30 (but still Sunny which I suppose is nice). Unloaded car and plopped on couch with this low proof JPS 25yr. This one has a super loose cork and when i acquired it the fill level was already at the shoulders. So I’m going to fill up some samples to store and see how much is left. Probably wrap what’s left with parafilm. 

In any case, it was a very nice first sip, soft eucalyptus followed by orange citrus and long baking spices. The wife mentioned we have no food so I guess I’m off to the grocery store. No rest for the wicked. But if I hustle I can be done by time basketball starts and then in bed early!

DAF104F6-0EC4-4148-8018-8348F35E650F.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

20 hours in the car starting at 4pm yesterday. Temps went from 74 and Sunny to 30 (but still Sunny which I suppose is nice). Unloaded car and plopped on couch with this low proof JPS 25yr. This one has a super loose cork and when i acquired it the fill level was already at the shoulders. So I’m going to fill up some samples to store and see how much is left. Probably wrap what’s left with parafilm. 

In any case, it was a very nice first sip, soft eucalyptus followed by orange citrus and long baking spices. The wife mentioned we have no food so I guess I’m off to the grocery store. No rest for the wicked. But if I hustle I can be done by time basketball starts and then in bed early!

DAF104F6-0EC4-4148-8018-8348F35E650F.jpeg

Myself and several friends each picked up a bottle way back when.  Awesome!!  Very complex, subtle sophistication.  Surprisingly little wood.  

A couple pours of David Nicholson 1843.  Not bad.  Shows it’s youth with a bit of grassiness on the back of the palate, but still has a good deal of solid bourbon notes throughout.  Mid $26-$27.  I’m OK with it.  Put it this way, I’ve spent much more on much worse.

D5CC2D70-EADA-4498-862E-B13E7C2F4638.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Myself and several friends each picked up a bottle way back when.  Awesome!!  Very complex, subtle sophistication.  Surprisingly little wood.  

Very true. Not a whole lot of wood. I considered digging out the Saz 18 to compare, but damned if it’s all the way in the back. Got distracted by a shiny RR pick up from which is mighty delicious. Thinking I’m going to beat the sun to bed tonight. 😁

On 3/25/2022 at 6:32 PM, bayouredd said:

On 3/25/2022 at 10:50 PM, flahute said:

The distillery is right in the heart of horse country so I can get behind horse culture in general being a good reason to equate WR with Spring.

On 3/26/2022 at 3:37 PM, markandrex said:

🐎🐎🐎Woodford Reserve it is, on a fine Spring day! 🐎🐎🐎

Good call folks.  WR definitely fits with spring for me because of the bright fruit note that it has (for me anyway).  Cheers on that.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A couple pours of David Nicholson 1843.  Not bad.  Shows it’s youth with a bit of grassiness on the back of the palate, but still has a good deal of solid bourbon notes throughout.  Mid $26-$27.  I’m OK with it.  Put it this way, I’ve spent much more on much worse.

D5CC2D70-EADA-4498-862E-B13E7C2F4638.jpeg

Same experience as me.  I think I do prefer their rye based bourbon better however (black label).

Russell's Reserve store pick that I recently picked up. 

So good. 

Many things are changing quickly in the bourbon world.  Thank goodness that RR SiB is not one of them.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 5

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

... I considered digging out the Saz 18 to compare, ...

as I remember, Jeff was way different than the old saz 18 lot.  I've not had new so don't know.  The Jeff to me more like a very fine canadian, like from Alberta Distillery.  Now you've given me plan for tonight, compare the Jeff 25 with Masterson's 10 (Alberta), old Jeff 10 (possibly Alberta), and a Whistlepig 10 (also possibly Alberta); and if I can dig it out, A. Bowman Rye release #1 2001 which is fantastic.  Okay, maybe I won't get them all in, but definitely try for Jeff 25 and Masterson's.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.