Not Really Worthy. The Drain Pour Thread.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone had a good experience with one of the Rapid Aged Whiskeys.  Just watched the Fred Minnick episode on the worst whiskey (so bad they discontinued it).  Tastes of bleach and dead (dying) cat.

• I like it 2

so far I have only had one drain pour, a Smooth Ambler Big Level.  Just hated it.

I do have another that I struggle with.  I have  a Laddie 10 Scotch that just tastes like Lysol and burnt rubber to me.  As a microbiology student in college, the first and last thing we did in our labs was wipe down our counter tops with a strong lysol solution.  This association carries over to the heavily peated scotches.  For that reason, I am not a big fan of these.

MY palate has finally gotten to the point to where I can test something sweet and malty under the lysol taste but not enough to let me enjoy a peated scotch.  

Apologies for posting this in a bourbon section

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2022 at 10:53 AM, kcgumbohead said:

This one stings a bit. I am a BIG fan of the Canadian 10 yr but haven’t had their house distillate so if this is that I have no point of reference. I know the WP brand has sprung several extensions in recent years but I have only experienced the 10/10/100 and some choice BPs.

I think WP is absolute garbage . Their 10 yr is bad ...dill bomb. And I'm Canadian ! lol 

17 hours ago, MJWP said:

I think WP is absolute garbage . Their 10 yr is bad ...dill bomb. And I'm Canadian ! lol 

Interesting....as the saying goes...one mans trash, LOL.!! ...different strokes here for sure. I've never gotten dill in WP or, thankfully any other whiskey, I see it mentioned in reviews and tasting notes and I am glad to have avoided it. I like dill just fine, on salmon, in pickle form, but I have ZERO interest in detecting it in a glass of whiskey. 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Interesting....as the saying goes...one mans trash, LOL.!! ...different strokes here for sure. I've never gotten dill in WP or, thankfully any other whiskey, I see it mentioned in reviews and tasting notes and I am glad to have avoided it. I like dill just fine, on salmon, in pickle form, but I have ZERO interest in detecting it in a glass of whiskey. 

Regular WP is fine for me.  A little too pricey.  I like the older WP when everything came from Alberta.  I had a highly regarded WP that was cask finished.  I hated it.  But, it wasn't because of the base whiskey, it was the finishing and proof.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Regular WP is fine for me.  A little too pricey.  I like the older WP when everything came from Alberta.  I had a highly regarded WP that was cask finished.  I hated it.  But, it wasn't because of the base whiskey, it was the finishing and proof.

I’ve tried those finished WPs, I’ve liked none of them. I stopped buying WP years ago, it’s just too expensive for what it is and their limited editions are ridiculously overpriced 

• I like it 2

On 5/25/2023 at 7:36 PM, MJWP said:

On 5/26/2023 at 12:52 PM, kcgumbohead said:

MGP rye (Indiana 95% rye) is famous for its strong dill note.  For that reason, some MGP rye doesn't do it for me. I don't get much dill when I drink WP10.  But there was a run of WP10 a few years ago that was sourced from Indiana, not Canada.   MJWP, I wonder if your WP10 might have been one of those MGP bottles.... 🤔

Whistle Pig built its reputation on great Alberta Rye and as they transitioned to MGP and their own stuff has moved to the ignore category.  

I like MGP rye but what they offered was overpriced.  

• I like it 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:22 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Whistle Pig built its reputation on great Alberta Rye and as they transitioned to MGP and their own stuff has moved to the ignore category.  

I like MGP rye but what they offered was overpriced.  

All the WP I’ve had and unopened in the bunker are all Alberta ryes, I haven’t tried any MGP WPs and I’ve had MGP rye so I’m not interested in an MGP WP, I guess I have moved on as well. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

At some time a while ago a couple of ozs of whiskey appeared in a mason jar in my fridge. A few years ago. I tried to figure out what it was, or whom may have left it. To no avail was my search. Today after a long time I sniffed it. It was not pleasant. This has been the first drain pour here since the great whistle finch fiasco.

A friend brought a bottle of Corsair Dark Rye American Rye Malt Whiskey over to the house.  Tasted like an Imperial Stout with some young rye whiskey blended in.  

I usually keep these "gifts" as mixers for Old fashioned's or for mixers at parties, but I poured it down.  Can't believe they charge $60 for this:{

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.