Not Really Worthy. The Drain Pour Thread.

fishnbowljoe

On 7/27/2022 at 12:51 PM, Marekv8 said:

Packing up another 6-pack to give to the kid at the liquor store.

IMG_8370.thumb.jpg.a328d18352c5552ca9acea60570d82db.jpg

I had the MC rye at the “distillery” and did not come away impressed, the barrel proof house labels were another story entirely.

Glad I have continued to avoid COK as the price has been the deterrent despite JRs signature and implied endorsement, if its gift/drain worthy I am doubly glad I have resisted any temptation.

• I like it 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, Dannabis said:

How was the Old Tub?

I love OGD bonded and have been wondering about the Tub

On 8/2/2022 at 1:09 PM, fosmith said:

To me, Old Tub was just ok.  I tried it but have no plans to buy another bottle.  In that price range, I'd much rather have Evan Williams BiB or Wild Turkey 101. 

On 8/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, PaulO said:

It's a cool label, but tastes like rather young Beam product, nothing special.  One and done for me.  Stick with the OGD.    

I find that you're either a Beam fan or you're not. I don't mean just a Knob Creek fan, but a Beam profile fan. I personally really enjoy Old Tub.  Young tasting?  Yes.  But the young whiskey works for me, coupled with that NCF richness.  But I also enjoy all their bourbons that are positioned above JB White (I don't drink JBW at all). 

• I like it 4

On 7/27/2022 at 11:51 AM, Marekv8 said:

Packing up another 6-pack to give to the kid at the liquor store.

IMG_8370.thumb.jpg.a328d18352c5552ca9acea60570d82db.jpg

Curious, do you actually pay for your whiskey bottles out of your own pocket?

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Kepler said:

I find that you're either a Beam fan or you're not. I don't mean just a Knob Creek fan, but a Beam profile fan. I personally really enjoy Old Tub.  Young tasting?  Yes.  But the young whiskey works for me, coupled with that NCF richness.  But I also enjoy all their bourbons that are positioned above JB White (I don't drink JBW at all). 

I don’t entirely agree with you there.  Their house style is distinctive but I find the impact of it lessens with age.  It’s much more agreeable to me in a 9 yr Knob Creek than a 6 year Bookers.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

I don’t entirely agree with you there.  Their house style is distinctive but I find the impact of it lessens with age.  It’s much more agreeable to me in a 9 yr Knob Creek than a 6 year Bookers.

That was my point, but it obviously did not come out the way I intended:  almost everyone likes KC but a lot of the same people don't care for the JB house profile, especially in their younger expressions.

• I like it 4

39 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My drain pours generally pass through my bladder first.

Mrsmbroo5880i just dialed in to request you quit peeing in the sink…🤪

• I like it 6

Smooth Ambler Contradiction down the drain today.  It would have been ok as a mixer but I don't make very many cocktails at home. 

Life is just too short to drink mediocre whiskey.

• I like it 6

I am starting to consider forming or joining a whiskey/ spirits tasting group.

I think it would be interesting to share both juice that I like and juice I can't stand with others and reflect on their own impressions and reactions.

Maybe even help some folks level off out of their newbie tatering phase by them tasting some hype next to some bottom shelf heavyweights.

Also be a great way to pass out my would be drain pours

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

I am starting to consider forming or joining a whiskey/ spirits tasting group.

I think it would be interesting to share both juice that I like and juice I can't stand with others and reflect on their own impressions and reactions.

Maybe even help some folks level off out of their newbie tatering phase by them tasting some hype next to some bottom shelf heavyweights.

Also be a great way to pass out my would be drain pours

I would be surprised if there is not already at least one in the Denver area, but they might be larger and less intimate than you like.  I connected with one in my area (So Cal) that has hosted 2 events at sports bars this year:  A dinner attended by 3 Brown-Forman reps where we sampled the Whiskey Row lineup plus 100 and Statesman, and 3 Woodford expressions, and a "bottle kill" lunch where each participant had to bring a bottle to share, which might be more your interest.  Another group in So Cal does similar events and both groups have also done KY trips for barrel picks.  Check Facebook and Instagram if you can stand them; that's where my groups mostly live.  Maybe Reddit too?  I think Matt Porter (ADHD Whiskey) is in the Denver area, maybe he knows of some groups.  Good luck!

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Life is just too short to drink mediocre whiskey.

I'm only about 2 years into my bourbon journey, and I am not rich by any means, but I am at the point that I am no longer interested in a whiskey that is "not bad FOR ITS PRICE."  If it's not good, I don't care how cheap it is.  I wouldn't buy Benchmark 8 if it was 50 cents a bottle. 

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I'm only about 2 years into my bourbon journey, and I am not rich by any means, but I am at the point that I am no longer interested in a whiskey that is "not bad FOR ITS PRICE."  If it's not good, I don't care how cheap it is.  I wouldn't buy Benchmark 8 if it was 50 cents a bottle. 

Amen brother.  I couldn't agree more.  Especially on the Benchmark 8.  But, to me, there's some real satisfaction in drinking something I really do like such as Benchmark Bonded, WT101, EW BiB, JB Distiller's Cut, etc. and knowing that they cost me less than $20.

• I like it 4

Life is lie a box of chocolate liqueur-- it can go down the frickin' drain in an instant.

IMG_8665.thumb.jpg.e743d287703614379f7b5785d33df7f8.jpg

• I like it 10

21 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Life is lie a box of chocolate liqueur-- it can go down the frickin' drain in an instant.

😂 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

My wife lives on that meletti and bourbon cream in her coffee on the weekends.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

Amen brother.  I couldn't agree more.  Especially on the Benchmark 8.  But, to me, there's some real satisfaction in drinking something I really do like such as Benchmark Bonded, WT101, EW BiB, JB Distiller's Cut, etc. and knowing that they cost me less than $20.

We are on the same page.  I think the difference is, I like drinking something when I can say, "AND it was under $20," not when I have to say, "BUT it was under $20."

I look forward to sharing a drink with you, whether $20 or $120.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Looks like all the crap I had to take in bundles to get the bottles I really wanted. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Two James, twice shy…

IMG_8678.thumb.jpg.84c18c8fedbd0932dd1d9c0b9bb4b43e.jpg

Not sure if thisi is painful to see or just a good lesson in what not to buy...

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Not sure if thisi is painful to see or just a good lesson in what not to buy...

bumper_sticker.jpg.c7e3317d2641208742c2f6b24687f2ce.jpg

• I like it 1

I love this thread, lol. It may have started based on a joke, but has turned out spectacularly. Next stop: lecture at Tales of the Cocktail!

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

These little piggies went wee, wee, wee -- all the way home.

IMG_8743.thumb.jpg.8d95a1c27300bf769876784f60f7c9bc.jpg

Yikes, not even useful for cocktails?  Seems like a lot of expensive mistakes.