Not Really Worthy. The Drain Pour Thread.

fishnbowljoe

In some parts of Atlanta, they have these neighborhood lending library boxes.  Neighbors put books in there and others swap them out.  Maybe we need a similar box without the returns out in from of Dave's house for booze. 

• I like it 8

On 9/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, IamMatt said:

I do have that Benchmark 8 though...

I wound up blending it 50/50 with OF 1910.  The blandness of the B8 toned down the excessive oak of the 1910 to make a pretty decent pour. 

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, BigRich said:

In some parts of Atlanta, they have these neighborhood lending library boxes.  Neighbors put books in there and others swap them out.  Maybe we need a similar box without the returns out in from of Dave's house for booze. 

An out of the box solution - I like it. 

• I like it 2

Tried the shot before I bought, or not.

Redwood Empire Pipe Dream.  Blech.  Pine needles and hospital floor cleaner.  

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 7:51 AM, Marekv8 said:

It's going to be a long day…

IMG_8760.thumb.jpg.7c48bc083e32f83e650347695c7f829f.jpg

Based on this thread, you drain pour almost as many bottles as I drink. Dang!

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Based on this thread, you drain pour almost as many bottles as I drink. Dang!

The WT101 rye is a crime IMO but hey, not my wallet.

• I like it 3

On 9/18/2022 at 11:22 AM, Anwalt said:

Tried the shot before I bought, or not.

Redwood Empire Pipe Dream.  Blech.  Pine needles and hospital floor cleaner.  

A fun time is going to Total Wine and sampling their overpriced off labels with barely 4-year old bourbon, passing on all of them, and walking out with WT101 or OF100. 

• I like it 7

My local TW is not allowed to sample spirits (only beer and wine).  I think it is a California licensing thing.

• I like it 2

I poured out a half bottle of Wild Turkey Rye into my mouth once.  Working on pouring out the other half the same way.  Not all at once, though. 

• I like it 5

• 6 months later...

This is something that basically never occurs, but the other day, I dumped most of a bottle down the drain.  The good news, it was not any type of whiskey.  It was sake.  I had tried sake once before, years ago, and it wasn't my thing.  Maybe sake just isn't for me.

So, I bought a bottle of Sho Chiku Bai Sake - to give it another chance.  This was a different brand than that first time.  Anyway, it tasted to me like if cheap white wine were mixed with bottom shelf vodka.  And the worse part was this awful gamey smell and aftertaste.  It was like wet cardboard or wet basement.  Several hours later, I remembered it and shuddered.  Then running the water in the sink, I got a whiff of it and shuddered again.  🤢

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

This is something that basically never occurs, but the other day, I dumped most of a bottle down the drain.  The good news, it was not any type of whiskey.  It was sake.  I had tried sake once before, years ago, and it wasn't my thing.  Maybe sake just isn't for me.

So, I bought a bottle of Sho Chiku Bai Sake - to give it another chance.  This was a different brand than that first time.  Anyway, it tasted to me like if cheap white wine were mixed with bottom shelf vodka.  And the worse part was this awful gamey smell and aftertaste.  It was like wet cardboard or wet basement.  Several hours later, I remembered it and shuddered.  Then running the water in the sink, I got a whiff of it and shuddered again.  🤢

Cheap, crap sake - served warm in sushi bars to cover the bad taste!  Mostly used for cooking (at least I do).

Let me take you out to really good sushi bars and try some Junmai Daiginjo sake (Dessai 23 comes to mind).  Yes, expensive because they "polish" (strip off) at least 50% of each sake rice grain to reach Junmai Daiginjo status.  Dessai 23 has 77% of the starch polished off - imagine buying 100 lbs of rice and stripping off 77 lbs and only using 23 lbs to make the "beer" before starting to brew the sake!  Good to great sake is usually served cool or chilled.  Wonderful aromas of peach and mango that match the saltiness of the soy sauce, fresh wasabi (not the fake horseradish with green coloring) and the pure flavors of the sushi or sashimi.   😋

JMHO, of course.  😁

• I like it 6

14 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Cheap, crap sake - served warm in sushi bars to cover the bad taste!  Mostly used for cooking (at least I do).

Let me take you out to really good sushi bars and try some Junmai Daiginjo sake (Dessai 23 comes to mind).  Yes, expensive because they "polish" (strip off) at least 50% of each sake rice grain to reach Junmai Daiginjo status.  Dessai 23 has 77% of the starch polished off - imagine buying 100 lbs of rice and stripping off 77 lbs and only using 23 lbs to make the "beer" before starting to brew the sake!  Good to great sake is usually served cool or chilled.  Wonderful aromas of peach and mango that match the saltiness of the soy sauce, fresh wasabi (not the fake horseradish with green coloring) and the pure flavors of the sushi or sashimi.   😋

JMHO, of course.  😁

Another reminder why we all want to be like Frank when we grow up.  I have never had sake and, just when @PaulO had me convinced that I haven't missed anything, Franks says..."here, hold my bourbon..."

• I like it 2

On 10/10/2022 at 11:45 PM, Thomm said:

I poured out a half bottle of Wild Turkey Rye into my mouth once.  Working on pouring out the other half the same way.  Not all at once, though. 

Just saw this tonight (Tuesday 11 April). Lmfao, and I haven’t started sipping yet.☺️

22 hours ago, GeeTen said:

JMHO, of course.  😁

This is the kind of recommendation I need.

Funny thing is I had been having sushi some Fridays during Lent.  I love good sushi, hence my experiment with the sake.

• I like it 2

Choked down the rest of my bottle or Johnny Drum. Dear lord Willet’s bourbon is bad.

• I like it 1

Good thing I stocked up. I think the folks at Total Wine figured out that they had a good thing going, because the price just went up 5 bucks. I'm just glad it's available now.  

IMG_20230412_222352.jpg

• I like it 2

On 9/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, BigRich said:

I have those in my neighborhood.  The book library, not the bourbon. Maybe I should start one for whiskey.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Choked down the rest of my bottle or Johnny Drum. Dear lord Willet’s bourbon is bad.

I found that the Johnny Drum black label is a pretty good mixer (e.g., excellent for homemade egg nog).

I actually enjoyed the Johnny Drum Private Stock as a value sipper. I'd probably purchase another of that one if I were looking for a change of pace pour (I'm not particularly looking currently).

Otherwise I probably agree with you on Willett stuff, most of it is in my "pass" category.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

I found that the Johnny Drum black label is a pretty good mixer (e.g., excellent for homemade egg nog).

I actually enjoyed the Johnny Drum Private Stock as a value sipper. I'd probably purchase another of that one if I were looking for a change of pace pour (I'm not particularly looking currently).

Otherwise I probably agree with you on Willett stuff, most of it is in my "pass" category.

Wonder if it was still the HH distillate? This had a very odd “flowery” taste that just did not finish well at all.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:33 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Wonder if it was still the HH distillate? This had a very odd “flowery” taste that just did not finish well at all.

Very well could be, I don't really know 🤷‍♂️

On 4/12/2023 at 10:39 PM, Thomm said:

Good thing I stocked up. I think the folks at Total Wine figured out that they had a good thing going, because the price just went up 5 bucks. I'm just glad it's available now.  

IMG_20230412_222352.jpg

Hate to quote myself, but I just realized I mistakenly posted this in the drain pour thread instead of where it belongs, in the empty bottle support group thread. Please rest assured that not one drop of the aforementioned rye saw the inside of a municipal sewer pipe until it had been processed through my liver. 

• I like it 4

Every time I take a sip of the Barrell Armida, the bottle gets closer to the drain.  Like drinking a badly made dry pear cocktail.  I really enjoy their other whiskey.  Too bad, too sad. 

• I like it 1

On 10/11/2022 at 5:45 AM, Thomm said:

:D

On 4/15/2023 at 6:18 AM, Thomm said:

Hate to quote myself, but I just realized I mistakenly posted this in the drain pour thread instead of where it belongs, in the empty bottle support group thread. Please rest assured that not one drop of the aforementioned rye saw the inside of a municipal sewer pipe until it had been processed through my liver. 

Guess that's a relief to many here!:D