What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

I didn't see a 2023 thread so starting one.

As much as I hated to pass on what is probably my favorite bourbon I did pass on a RRSiB store pick at $79.  

Also was tempted by seeing Pikesville on the shelf again but I have a couple of bottles so I resisted the urge.  I expect it will be plentiful again eventually so no need to panic.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Also was tempted by seeing (fill in the blank) on the shelf again but I have a couple of bottles so I resisted the urge.  I expect it will be plentiful again eventually so no need to panic.

Took a little editorial liberties with your post, Kep.  And, while I truly understand your reasoning, and have used it hundreds of times myself, it is that very reasoning which has resulted in my bunker, while adequate with favorites, is not as flush as it should/could be.  In Bourbonia, Carpe Diem!!  For the Bourbon gods are fickle.

….and somebodies reading this will send in seven cousins twice removed in Grapevine to clear that shelf!  🤪

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I didn't see a 2023 thread so starting one.

As much as I hated to pass on what is probably my favorite bourbon I did pass on a RRSiB store pick at $79.  

Also was tempted by seeing Pikesville on the shelf again but I have a couple of bottles so I resisted the urge.  I expect it will be plentiful again eventually so no need to panic.

Still no Pikesville in these parts.   I hope you're right and my favorite rye will return with the spring. 

I am glad I have a bottle at all, over here. And these guys talk about stash in their bunker, wow.....

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Still no Pikesville in these parts.   I hope you're right and my favorite rye will return with the spring. 

Same. I have about 1/3 of a bottle left. 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

4 hours ago, Obree said:

I am glad I have a bottle at all, over here. And these guys talk about stash in their bunker, wow.....

3 hours ago, evasive said:

Same. I have about 1/3 of a bottle left. 

I just picked up a bottle.

Popped into a wine shop, because I peeked in the window and saw whiskey.  I was surprised to see that they have a decent selection of fairly priced whiskey. I've never been there, but it's next to a Trader Joe's, so I couldn't resist.

They had 3 bottles on the shelf,

($51.00), so I snagged one, and left the others for someone else to enjoy.  I mentioned to the owner that I hadn't seen any in a long time.  He said the same, and that the bottle just "showed up" a couple of days ago.

Hopefully this means that they'll start distributing it again.

Definitely gonna crack it open tonight😉

20230120_144758.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

11 hours ago, JGriff said:

Passed on Calumet 14,15 & 16 today.  $200, $275 & $350.   Dickel 17 was $499.  

Smart pass.  

On 1/20/2023 at 5:51 AM, Jazzhead said:

K&L web site shows more than 84 bottles in inventory so maybe the drought is over.  It's been a while since it's been this plentiful in my area.

Continue to pass on all Booker's as it's now up to $120 at the lowest (and sometimes more) and that's before our insane taxes.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Continue to pass on all Booker's as it's now up to $120 at the lowest (and sometimes more) and that's before our insane taxes.

It's still (a smidgen) less than a hundred here in Pennsy,  so I still buy at least one batch each year.  I picked up the Kentucky Tea batch a couple of weeks ago.  

Bookers is the best-drinking high proof bourbon IMO.   I tried some side by side with a Bakers Single Barrel, and the Booker's superiority was starkly displayed.  The Bakers tasted almost crude next to the rich, balanced gut punch of peanut funk that was the Booker's.

22 hours ago, flahute said:

It's $80 (Costco) to $130 here in the Bay Area and I'm not even slightly tempted.

• I like it 2

I passed of the High West offerings this year, both MWND and Prisoners Share bottles.  Even though pretty readily available here in Utah and I had several opportunities to purchase each at msrp, they have not wowed me with several of the past releases,  and IMHO, their pricing has gotten out of hand.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Mano said:

I passed of the High West offerings this year, both MWND and Prisoners Share bottles.  Even though pretty readily available here in Utah and I had several opportunities to purchase each at msrp, they have not wowed me with several of the past releases,  and IMHO, their pricing has gotten out of hand.

HW products are widely available where I live, even in the grocery stores.  It seems at some point they really ramped up bottling and shipping.  I assume it's all or mostly sourced.  I don't hear much about their own make.  I can't say I'm tempted, with so many other good options.

• I like it 1

On 1/21/2023 at 4:17 PM, flahute said:

I'm not paying that for anyone's 6 year old bourbon.  

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, Mano said:

These are the last of the "Good Ol' Days" bottles of HWMWNDs in The Bunker (Act 2.2, Scene 340, Act 4, Scene 1, Act 5, Scene 4) : 

HWMWND Unicorns.jpg

2022 edition was going for $150/btl in these here parts - NO WAY, Jose!   😱

And Happy Chinese New Year (Year of the Water Rabbit) everyone.  😆

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 5

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

These are the last of the "Good Ol' Days" bottles of HWMWNDs in The Bunker (Act 2.2, Scene 340, Act 4, Scene 1, Act 5, Scene 4) : 

HWMWND Unicorns.jpg

Don't lose any fingers!!  Those older Acts were really good.  I had an Act 3 that was pretty special.  I didn't start regularly buying till about Act 5 or 6.  I still caved on FOMO and have 2 different Act 10 bottles.  I also ended up with a Prisoner's Share but only because there was a distributor snafu and they ended up honoring a price to the place I got it. It was a HW hosted event/dinner and I "won" the right to purchase one for $87.

• I like it 2

Passed on a Stagg Jr for 125, I can't justify spending >100 on any bottle right now. Did pick up the single Sazerac sitting next to it for 40.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:52 AM, smokinjoe said:

Took a little editorial liberties with your post, Kep.  And, while I truly understand your reasoning, and have used it hundreds of times myself, it is that very reasoning which has resulted in my bunker, while adequate with favorites, is not as flush as it should/could be.  In Bourbonia, Carpe Diem!!  For the Bourbon gods are fickle.

….and somebodies reading this will send in seven cousins twice removed in Grapevine to clear that shelf!  🤪

Wise words I know! 

On 1/21/2023 at 3:17 PM, flahute said:

On 1/23/2023 at 8:26 AM, BigRich said:

I'm not paying that for anyone's 6 year old bourbon.  

The latest batch is back up to 7 year whiskey finally, ... but I still passed on it today at $104!

I really want a Masters Keep One. Saw one today, but passed at 400.

also:

EC18 at 375

KC 12 at 100

KC 15 at 285(?!)

BT Kosher (all 3, the wheat is fantastic) at 150.

this particular small town has gone nuts. Every store is like: "It's $xxx on the internet"

• I like it 1

So I need some sage advice here, passed on these last night due to time constraints but can pick up tomorrow, not all are bourbon so I ask forgiveness. Yes or no to the following:

1. Hancock Reserve - $70

2. Cream of Kentucky Rye - $70

3. Calumet Farm 15y - $100

4. WTRB Rye - $46

Thanks in advance 😬

• I like it 2

On 1/23/2023 at 9:48 AM, GeeTen said:

HWMWND Unicorns.jpg

Ooooh, Frank.  THX for the nudge.  I'm pretty sure I have an older and nopened HWMWMD on an  upper shelf in the utility room.  I have no idear which Act and Scene it is.  It's up there with the bunkered Booker's.  Is time to go dust those oldies off.

Rabbit Man says HNY, BTW.  I quicker than the average mouse.  Which we just killed three of after a month of finding droppings.  I really tired of doing laundry and replacing pantry foods.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

So I need some sage advice here, passed on these last night due to time constraints but can pick up tomorrow, not all are bourbon so I ask forgiveness. Yes or no to the following:

1. Hancock Reserve - $70

2. Cream of Kentucky Rye - $70

3. Calumet Farm 15y - $100

4. WTRB Rye - $46

Thanks in advance 😬

1. NO

2. Maybe

3. Yes.

4. Absolutely!

JMHO, of course.  😊

• I like it 2

On 1/24/2023 at 9:03 PM, Kepler said:

The latest batch is back up to 7 year whiskey finally, ... but I still passed on it today at $104!

I quit buying years ago, once the price went North of $60.00  

• I like it 1