What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

@FasterHorses that’s where the BS comes in.  Each county has a control board. They are sent their allocations by the state with apparently no input, but based on volume. Each board handles allocated bottles differently.  Some county boards run lottery’s, several have the ‘take care of your buddies’ systems.  The thing that is like most places anymore, you need to get to know the person that runs the store to get any info.   It’s very difficult to get anything allocated in NC without a bunch of nonsense and still difficult. This year, I managed a weller full proof with a phone call on the friends list at a local board and a EHT BP in an Easter egg hunt type free for all at another.   That’s gonna be it….and pappy or BTAC…..I have no hope of seeing those anymore around here.   Those that do are quite hooked up.

• I like it 1

Quick stop while out and about yesterday. I may have mentioned this ps SAOS previously when chastising someone for not showing us who was responsible for bottling their Smooth Ambler.  🤨

IMG_3278.jpeg.b44b26c45b1c3a56b067f869381a0dcf.jpeg

• I like it 2

New LS...

Passed on several including Blanton's $160, CEHT SB $239, CEHT SiB $269 & JM Cigar Blend $369. Store owner asked if I was interested in those & I told him "not without a condom". He laughed but didn't go down on the price.

A$$hole!!!

• I like it 1

On 12/6/2023 at 8:55 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I don't blame you for wanting to try first. 

I've never had any version of 1792, standard, Full Proof and FP picks that don't drink hot.   I hope that you get a sample and like it, because that's a good price for it.  

On 12/6/2023 at 7:58 PM, Richnimrod said:

Hmmm.   I've been lucky I guess, regarding 1792 and the Full Proof version.   I've never had a 'shelf version' of Full Proof (only ever bought 3) that I thought was excessively hot.   I did (luckily) taste one private pick that I found pretty hot, and not special enough to make me pull the trigger among the 5-or-6-picks that I've tried.   Several of those picks were good enough to see me buying multiples, and one I probably should have; but, they were all gone when I returned.   Regular 1792, going all the way back to the Ridgemont Reserve days has been somewhat variable; but, I never had a bottle that I found 'excessively' hot, though a few seemed a little hot for the proof.   I have tasted a few picks of 1792 owned by friends that I found stellar!   Unfortunately all those were sold before I had a chance to buy a bottle.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:07 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

You have been lucky😉

I haven't given up completely on the 1792....I would like to try the  wheated and BiB versions.   I've had a FP pick that I thought was good, but not great, and it kinda/sorta opened up with a splash.  I almost feel the same way about most ECBP too.  I have a few bottles of different releases, and it drinks hot to me, but seems to open up better than the Barton.    

It all works, because our youngest son gets the bottles that I don't care for, so I'm sure that he's rooting for us not to like it🤣

My favorite 1792 variations that I've tried so far are the "Single Barrel" store picks (beige colored neck band) and the High Rye.  

A close but clear third would be the BiB (store pick or regular).

Now, I do have the 12 Year bottling, but I have not gotten around to opening it yet.

I agree that all the Full Proof versions are just plain hot.  I've got a couple of store picks that are really good (tons of intense flavor) ... but still too hot.

The Sweet Wheat is a nice (but boring) sipper when my palate is sensitive after eating spicy foods for dinner.  But I believe Maker's Mark can fill the bill quite nicely in the same role, at half the price and easily found.

I didn't like the 1792 Port.    Too much port influence for me.  But others swear by it.

My favorite 1792 was actually the older Ridgemont Reserve, but that's because it was an underdog budget value pour at $21.99, before they went over to pretentious side with the art deco bottle redesign.  The newer 1792 Small Batch tastes the same to me as the older Ridgemont Reserve however, so I still recommend it.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

My favorite 1792 variations that I've tried so far are the "Single Barrel" store picks (beige colored neck band) and the High Rye.  

A close but clear third would be the BiB (store pick or regular).

Now, I do have the 12 Year bottling, but I have not gotten around to opening it yet.

I agree that all the Full Proof versions are just plain hot.  I've got a couple of store picks that are really good (tons of intense flavor) ... but still too hot.

The Sweet Wheat is a nice (but boring) sipper when my palate is sensitive after eating spicy foods for dinner.  But I believe Maker's Mark can fill the bill quite nicely in the same role, at half the price and easily found.

I didn't like the 1792 Port.    Too much port influence for me.  But others swear by it.

My favorite 1792 was actually the older Ridgemont Reserve, but that's because it was an underdog budget value pour at $21.99, before they went over to pretentious side with the art deco bottle redesign.  The newer 1792 Small Batch tastes the same to me as the older Ridgemont Reserve however, so I still recommend it.

I used to like the older Ridgemont Reserve too.    Maybe I'll give the newer 1792 Small Batch a shot.

Thanks for sharing!

• I like it 1

I've noticed Sazerac Rye (cases of it, 1.75Ls too) show up at three different stores lately.  I think it's ok, but otherwise prefer other things for the price.

I was more startled to see a Four Roses single barrel pick OESF out in the wild @ $89, plus I could have got a discount that would make it more like $70.  I can hear the cult fans, 'mister, you march your a-s-s right back to that store now'.  I simply don't spend that much on one bottle, and OESF is the recipe people either seem to like or not like.

• I like it 2

I have the bad timing to be cutting back on buying right when I am finding so much on the shelf the last week of so.  Blanton's at several stores, KC12, McKenna, ECBP store pick, etc.  Holladay ryed and wheated in cask strength.  Buffalo Trace at $20.  Passed on all of it. 

• I like it 2

I know what you mean @IamMatt.  We stopped at the grocery store yet again today to get more baking supplies for my wife. I asked the manager if they had anything “good” in the back. He remembered me from a while back when I got one of their store pick BT’s. He said he had a Blanton’s in the back that he was saving for another customer, but he’d let me have it. I told him thanks, but no thanks. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to get a Blanton’s last week, and I didn’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth. I believe I surprised him a bit. He asked me my name again. I told him and we shook hands. I then said I wasn’t a flipper and that I believed in spreading the wealth. That made him smile. At worst, I missed out on a bottle of Blanton’s. On the brighter side, I might be able to get something good at that store in the future. What can I say? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 3

My wife and I went to a Christmas Party this past weekend in Houston. After the party we went to the bar at the hotel we were staying, (The Houstonian), the waitress has been working there for many years and my wife knows her from past times she has stayed there. Both of them tried to get me the 20y ER. At $400 a pour, I passed. I did get to smell it though, and I have to say it smelled amazing. 
E29FCE9F-E622-4882-BFA2-067EAF884C45.thumb.jpeg.c1cb61ff7489738307b28c9fe53468b6.jpeg

• I like it 11

Ran out at lunch today looking for one particular bottle, but came up empty handed. I did see a shelf or two full of allocated items at secondary prices, and gladly passed.

• I like it 1

Knob Creek 18yr  for $180

Larceny BP C923 for $70 (even though Fred Minnick just ranked it #2 for the year, I am just not that impressed with these)

• I like it 4

46 minutes ago, Double C's said:

Knob Creek 18yr  for $180

Larceny BP C923 for $70 (even though Fred Minnick just ranked it #2 for the year, I am just not that impressed with these)

Fred lol

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 3

Booker's  $104.00

McKenna 10 year  $64.00

Jameson 18 year $159.00

*yeah....not bourbon...but I almost pulled the trigger....almost....

McKenna 10 year   $61.00

ECBP  $77.00

Belle of Bedford Rye*  $119.00

Booker's  $102.00

*it was on sale...regular price 139.00   I almost bought it, but passed.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

McKenna 10 year   $61.00

ECBP  $77.00

Belle of Bedford Rye*  $119.00

Booker's  $102.00

*it was on sale...regular price 139.00   I almost bought it, but passed.

Cheap Bastard might have consider the ECBP if it was C923.  I just bought three Mck10.  One for $53.99.  Two for around $40. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Cheap Bastard might have consider the ECBP if it was C923.  I just bought three Mck10.  One for $53.99.  Two for around $40. 

I forget the release, but it wasn't C923. I have a few bottles of the ECBP, (I'm too lazy to look at the releases), but I've had them for years and rarely drink them.  For the money I prefer JDSBBP because, regardless of the barrel,  they're all great.  To my palate, the ECBP is a crapshoot...anywhere between okay and very good. 

The same LS had an EC pick that was aged 9 years,  for $39.99 that I briefly considered and an ECBP 10 year pick for $79.00 that was a little intriguing but  there was no release # on it. They may have had a bottle open to try, at the bar, but if they're not confident enough in the pick r to let me try it, then I ain't buying😎

I'm pretty sure that I haven't bought a bottle of the Mck10 since it went North of $40.00.  I have a couple bottles of that too. One of 'em is a screwtop and I only bought the other one because the Master Distiller was signing bottles of it when we visited the Evan Williams Experience back in 2017. f it was $40.00, I would buy it.  Funny, but I've been seeing it at a lot of places lately, but never less than $65.00

I used to drink it a lot when it was cheap.   

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

1792 Sweet Wheat $79

Bookers $89

Had the 1792 ready to ring up but dont really need it so left it for someone else

2023 BTAC $1200 to 1500 at a shop across the state line. They had three of each.  That's far more than the local secondary.