What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

7 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

So I need some sage advice here, passed on these last night due to time constraints but can pick up tomorrow, not all are bourbon so I ask forgiveness. Yes or no to the following:

1. Hancock Reserve - $70

2. Cream of Kentucky Rye - $70

3. Calumet Farm 15y - $100

4. WTRB Rye - $46

Thanks in advance 😬

RB RYE for 46? That’s a YES!!! all day every day!!

• I like it 3

On 1/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, Jazzhead said:

Still no Pikesville in these parts.   I hope you're right and my favorite rye will return with the spring. 

Passed on a shelf full yesterday after not seeing it for many months. Reasonably priced as it was the same or maybe less than I remember from when it was readily available. I am not currently in the market for anything so I left it for the many that have awaited its return.

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

oops wrong thread, sorry

Edited by steven s

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

1. NO

2. Maybe

3. Yes.

4. Absolutely!

JMHO, of course.  😊

Thanks all.  GeeTen in your great wisdom, why NO to the Hancock?  I've never run across it in my life, is it another case of BT/Sazerac overcharging for something that really isn't that good?

Also, any idea of the Calumet Farm is Barton distillate?  It seems like this was somewhat the consensus in older threads that I could find.

Thanks,

18 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Thanks all.  GeeTen in your great wisdom, why NO to the Hancock?  I've never run across it in my life, is it another case of BT/Sazerac overcharging for something that really isn't that good?

Also, any idea of the Calumet Farm is Barton distillate?  It seems like this was somewhat the consensus in older threads that I could find.

Thanks,

Hancock is the same mash bill as Blanton's and ETL, but bottled at lower proof.

Probably nothing wrong with it, but that price is way out of line for what it is.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, steven s said:

IMG_9453.JPG

Yikes. Are these any good? We have them here at under £40 a pop...

Screenshot_20230126_191856.jpg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Passed on a shelf full yesterday after not seeing it for many months. Reasonably priced as it was the same or maybe less than I remember from when it was readily available. I am not currently in the market for anything so I left it for the many that have awaited its return.

Great! 

I bought one, and left the remaining two.

Sounds like they're finally distributing it again.

4 hours ago, beasled said:

All. Day. Long.

The BT Kosher Wheat is a nice step up from WSR in my opinion. I paid $45 for the several I bought.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

Hancock is the same mash bill as Blanton's and ETL, but bottled at lower proof.

Probably nothing wrong with it, but that price is way out of line for what it is.

Great to know, appreciate it guys.

• I like it 2

On 1/22/2023 at 10:41 PM, PaulO said:

HW products are widely available where I live, even in the grocery stores.  It seems at some point they really ramped up bottling and shipping.  I assume it's all or mostly sourced.  I don't hear much about their own make.  I can't say I'm tempted, with so many other good options.

When it first came out Rendezvous Rye was awesome, even if slightly overpriced.  Even some of the early Double Rye were good.  Now, to me, both are undrinkable.  Of course, back then they sourced older stock of MGP rye.  I don't give any of their stuff a second glance any more.

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

When it first came out Rendezvous Rye was awesome, even if slightly overpriced.  Even some of the early Double Rye were good.  Now, to me, both are undrinkable.  Of course, back then they sourced older stock of MGP rye.  I don't give any of their stuff a second glance any more.

Don’t, it’s a mistake every time for your wallet and your taste buds.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Screenshot_20230126_191856.jpg

The straight rye is really nice. 

21 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

So I need some sage advice here, passed on these last night due to time constraints but can pick up tomorrow, not all are bourbon so I ask forgiveness. Yes or no to the following:

1. Hancock Reserve - $70

4. WTRB Rye - $46

Thanks in advance 😬

The WTRB Rye is very good and the $46 price tag is a steal.

• I like it 1

Passed on a Blanton's at 99 bucks yesterday.. Just can't do it when there's so many readily available nice bourbons at a much better price point. 

• I like it 2

On 1/26/2023 at 1:13 AM, PhantomLamb said:

1. Hancock Reserve - $70

4. WTRB Rye - $46

Thanks in advance 😬

You have received a lot of input already.  I am close to @GeeTen, except I am NO, NO, Yes, YES.  The best price is WTRB Rye.  Normally WTRB is around $50 in my area.  WTRB Rye is usually over $60.  Over $60 is a no.  $46 is a yes.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

You have received a lot of input already.  I am close to @GeeTen, except I am NO, NO, Yes, YES.  The best price is WTRB Rye.  Normally WTRB is around $50 in my area.  WTRB Rye is usually over $60.  Over $60 is a no.  $46 is a yes.

The only problem was when I got

home last night I made the bone-headed mistake of picking the bottle up by the stopper.

Little did I know this one didn’t have much cork and the shrink wrapping was very loose so the bottle fell out of my hand and my carpet got to enjoy the neck pour of the WTRB. Other than that, got home

safely. 

Cheers for all the advice.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

The only problem was when I got

home last night I made the bone-headed mistake of picking the bottle up by the stopper.

Little did I know this one didn’t have much cork and the shrink wrapping was very loose so the bottle fell out of my hand and my carpet got to enjoy the neck pour of the WTRB. Other than that, got home

safely. 

Cheers for all the advice.

Dang, that sucks!  But, at least, the bottle didn't break or more spill out.  I hear the neck pour sucks anyway. 😜😃

• I like it 3

Was excited to see JD Bonded but passed when I saw the price of $45. Just now realizing that was a 1L bottle and that they also supposedly have a 700ml for $32. I'll buy it for that.

• I like it 4

On 1/31/2023 at 4:14 PM, flahute said:

Was excited to see JD Bonded but passed when I saw the price of $45. Just now realizing that was a 1L bottle and that they also supposedly have a 700ml for $32. I'll buy it for that.

It's a buy for me too.