What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Sir, if you have room in the house to possess an unopened bottle, you most certainly have room to possess it while opened. Just sayin’….LOL!

I hereby invite you to my house to try to find an unopened bottle inside!  That's what garages are for.

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I hereby invite you to my house to try to find an unopened bottle inside!  That's what garages are for.

If you can’t find a spot to put another open bottle, you ain’t tryin’ hard enough!!!   Or, you could put that newly opened bottle in the garage, then. That way, you-know-who can’t see you take the pour.  Just ask Harry.  He’s the master that we’ve all learned from in the cat-and-mouse bourbon subterfuge game!  LOL!!

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

If you can’t find a spot to put another open bottle, you ain’t tryin’ hard enough!!!   Or, you could put that newly opened bottle in the garage, then. That way, you-know-who can’t see you take the pour.  Just ask Harry.  He’s the master that we’ve all learned from in the cat-and-mouse bourbon subterfuge game!  LOL!!

Oh, yeah, there are--ahem--one or two open bottles in the garage as well.  My goal was to fine tune the collection to 6-10 core bottles in the house but that went all to hell.  I don't have the variety that many here have, but I have one cabinet in the kitchen and one in my office for the "daily use" open bottles, plus the "bunker" (garage).   You are right, though, i could always find room for one more somewhere!

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on Chattanooga High Malt 111.  I plan to go back and pick one up but I am curious what the SB.com community has to say about it.

I love it.  I feel the 111 cask is the sweet spot of their lineup and is the right place to start.  Skip the 91 and BiB and get the 111.

• I like it 2

I passed on Blantons $69 on the shelf.  Haven't seen it sitting on the shelf in a long time.

• I like it 2

On 4/17/2023 at 3:24 PM, smokinjoe said:

Sir, if you have room in the house to possess an unopened bottle, you most certainly have room to possess it while opened. Just sayin’….LOL!

This!

• I like it 2

I am looking to add a few unique bottles just to mix things up. I passed on few interesting bottles that I wanted to research a little more before buying.  One was a Stellum Perseus Single Barrel store pick.  I have had good luck with store picks from this retailer.  Research tells me it is a 4-6 year old MGP 75/21/4 mashbill 114 proof.  I can get it for 20% off ($41.60) with a 6-bottle purchase and by using my Rewards card.  Same store has Chattanooga 111 High Malt for $36 w/discount and Chattanooga 99 Malt Rye for $38 w/discount.  They also have some 10 year KCSiB 120s for $37 w/discount. 

I am set on the two Chattanooga bottles since they get good reviews in our community.  I am fine with buy KCSiB on the cheap to round out the 6-bottles since they are usually pretty solid and the price is good.  I am a little iffy on the Stellum.  I know they are bottled by the same folks who bottle Barrell Bourbon.  They also have a Yellowstone store pick for the same price.  I actually enjoyed the two bottles of Yellowstone 93 I bought for $25.  I have heard good things about the single barrel BS store picks.  

I have plenty standard stuff...KC9, FRSiB, OF, WT, etc.  Looking to step up or maybe step outside of my normal pours but still not kill the budget.  

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am looking to add a few unique bottles just to mix things up. I passed on few interesting bottles that I wanted to research a little more before buying.  One was a Stellum Perseus Single Barrel store pick.  I have had good luck with store picks from this retailer.  Research tells me it is a 4-6 year old MGP 75/21/4 mashbill 114 proof.  I can get it for 20% off ($41.60) with a 6-bottle purchase and by using my Rewards card.  Same store has Chattanooga 111 High Malt for $36 w/discount and Chattanooga 99 Malt Rye for $38 w/discount.  They also have some 10 year KCSiB 120s for $37 w/discount. 

I am set on the two Chattanooga bottles since they get good reviews in our community.  I am fine with buy KCSiB on the cheap to round out the 6-bottles since they are usually pretty solid and the price is good.  I am a little iffy on the Stellum.  I know they are bottled by the same folks who bottle Barrell Bourbon.  They also have a Yellowstone store pick for the same price.  I actually enjoyed the two bottles of Yellowstone 93 I bought for $25.  I have heard good things about the single barrel BS store picks.  

I have plenty standard stuff...KC9, FRSiB, OF, WT, etc.  Looking to step up or maybe step outside of my normal pours but still not kill the budget.  

Do they let you try their picks?

If not, that's usually a pass for me.  If the store isn't confident enough in their pick to let me try it, that's a red flag.     

That being said, there have been a few occasions where I did buy a pick without trying, but that's rare and usually because I'm traveling and/or local laws prohibit sampling or it's something that I really, really want to try.      

As part of the "If it costs more than $10.00 get 3 estimates" crowd, I tend to research stuff to the nth degree before blowing the dust out of my wallet.

BTW, I'm with you on the Yellowstone 93.  If memory serves, I paid around $32.00 for it, with no regret.   It's good stuff.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Recently I picked up a bottle of Green River.  It's an easy drinking 90 proof.  House style reminds me along the lines of Barton or Old Forrester - sweet and rich.

• I like it 1

On 4/20/2023 at 8:48 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I will personally endorse the Chattanooga Cask 111 bourbon and the Chattanooga 99 Rye.  Both are unique and quality pours, at very reasonable prices in today's market.

I also endorse Stellum's standard bourbon, plus a Stellum bourbon private barrel IF  you trust the barrel picking team.   But I don't have any knowledge or experience with the "Perseus" expression. 

That's one thing about Stellum that I'm not a big fan of:  IMHO they have too many different permutations ... it ends up just confusing potential customers.  Word of advice to new producers trying to establish their brands:  focus on a small number of quality expressions to establish your brand identity first.  Then, and only then, add brand extensions later to maximize your profits.

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

I will personally endorse the Chattanooga Cask 111 bourbon and the Chattanooga 99 Rye.  Both are unique and quality pours, at very reasonable prices in today's market.

I also endorse Stellum's standard bourbon, plus a Stellum bourbon private barrel IF  you trust the barrel picking team.   But I don't have any knowledge or experience with the "Perseus" expression. 

That's one thing about Stellum that I'm not a big fan of:  IMHO they have too many different permutations ... it ends up just confusing potential customers.  Word of advice to new producers trying to establish their brands:  focus on a small number of quality expressions to establish your brand identity first.  Then, and only then, add brand extensions later to maximize your profits.

Something tells me that I need to get a bottle.  Lately, I've been hearing some good things about Chattanooga.  A buddy of mine is nuts about it, and now your endorsement.   I see one in my very near future.

• I like it 1

On 4/20/2023 at 9:48 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Of the standard Chattanooga offerings the 111 and rye are the stars IMO, both quite good pours and very well made with longer fermentation times and lower barrel entry. The rye is a malted rye so a different profile which fits the bill of what you’re looking for.

They also have single barrel distillery only bottles at their downtown location, several of these have been excellent and for whatever reason they come alive with a couple drop of water or a couple small ice chips in a way no other CS bottling does so that’s a fun experiment. The initial BIB release was delicious though I missed out on getting a bottle. I will at some point add one of their BIB releases as they do one each spring and fall.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Of the standard Chattanooga offerings the 111 and rye are the stars IMO, both quite good pours and very well made with longer fermentation times and lower barrel entry. The rye is a malted rye so a different profile which fits the bill of what you’re looking for.

They also have single barrel distillery only bottles at their downtown location, several of these have been excellent and for whatever reason they come alive with a couple drop of water or a couple small ice chips in a way no other CS bottling does so that’s a fun experiment. The initial BIB release was delicious though I missed out on getting a bottle. I will at some point add one of their BIB releases as they do one each spring and fall.

Thank you!  I have read your reviews and you always speaking glowingly of their products.  I plan to pick up both the 111 and rye.  The question is whether to add some other bottles to get a discount.  😀 As a Cheap Bastard, I am always looking for a way to pay below MSRP or, at least, feel like I am.  

• I like it 1

I was at TW yesterday.  My all the store brands.  Just out of curiosity, I read some labels.  It's sort of startling: one, two, or three years old.  If four years old, I might consider.  Younger - no can do.

I'm pretty sure I know what GeeTen would advise, concerning Spirits Direct line up. 😄 

• I like it 2

49 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I was at TW yesterday.  My all the store brands.  Just out of curiosity, I read some labels.  It's sort of startling: one, two, or three years old.  If four years old, I might consider.  Younger - no can do.

I'm pretty sure I know what GeeTen would advise, concerning Spirits Direct line up. 😄 

Isn't it all the same bourbon to boot (MGP), just different bottlings?  It's pretty ridiculous.

• I like it 1

Saw Remus Gatsby Reserve at a higher-priced grocery store for $299.  Passed.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, dcbt said:

Isn't it all the same bourbon to boot (MGP), just different bottlings?  It's pretty ridiculous.

Some is distilled in Indiana (MGP).  They also have a lot of stuff that says distilled in Kentucky.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

🤮

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

🤮

😀😀😀

I am not TW's target demographic.  Old, cheap and likes good whiskey.

I will say that after I drop my first bottle of WT101 the cart, none of the sales people approach me.  They know.

• I like it 6

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

😀😀😀

I am not TW's target demographic.  Old, cheap and likes good whiskey.

I will say that after I drop my first bottle of WT101 the cart, none of the sales people approach me.  They know.

Neither am I.

Mrs. Skinsfan and I rarely venture into a TW.  The salespeople aren't very knowledgeable at the store in our neck of the woods.   I almost ran out of the store when the sales guy kept touting the Two Stars Whiskey.

That being said, the beer selection, and prices, are pretty impressive, (due to Maryland's arcane distribution laws, beer isn't sold in grocery or convenience stores around here), so beer is the better buy at TW.

I have been known to purchase liquor there, if the price is right.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Neither am I.

Mrs. Skinsfan and I rarely venture into a TW.  The salespeople aren't very knowledgeable at the store in our neck of the woods.   I almost ran out of the store when the sales guy kept touting the Two Stars Whiskey.

That being said, the beer selection, and prices, are pretty impressive, (due to Maryland's arcane distribution laws, beer isn't sold in grocery or convenience stores around here), so beer is the better buy at TW.

I have also rarely found a TW employee steeped in bourbon knowledge.  There was a guy a couple of years ago, Neal, looked to be mid-20s, who approached me as I stared at the bourbon aisle.  We got to talking and he knew more about bourbon (and rum) than most anyone I had met.  We probably talked for 45 minutes.  This happened several more times. 

He was also a hunter; he worked at TW but would spend his days off traveling to liquor stores finding lost treasures.  In our long talks at TW he would tell me about all the unusual old dusty bottles he had found.  He once mapped out every liquor store in one city and went to all of them in a couple of days. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I almost ran out of the store when the sales guy kept touting the Two Stars Whiskey.

The only whiskey that uses its score as it's brand name.

• I like it 10

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

The only whiskey that uses its score as it's brand name.

🤣

Well played!

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Neither am I.

6 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I have also rarely found a TW employee steeped in bourbon knowledge.  There was a guy a couple of years ago, Neal, looked to be mid-20s, who approached me as I stared at the bourbon aisle.  We got to talking and he knew more about bourbon (and rum) than most anyone I had met.  We probably talked for 45 minutes.  This happened several more times. 

He was also a hunter; he worked at TW but would spend his days off traveling to liquor stores finding lost treasures.  In our long talks at TW he would tell me about all the unusual old dusty bottles he had found.  He once mapped out every liquor store in one city and went to all of them in a couple of days. 

Our TW is fairly new. The good thing is that there is a Kentucky Lady aboard that isn't too bad. Also, I have delt with another Lady that has been helpful in letting the tastings available, speak for themselves. Neither has tried to lie to me and has admitted to not knowing when confronted. I appreciate that.

Unlike ABC, which has no problem lying or acting knowledgeable when they haven't a clue. Duck with an 'F', those guys!!!

• I like it 2

I will buy non store brands of booze or beer at TW.

It's the old saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". 

• I like it 2