What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

Passed on RRSiB for $92. Small local shop finally got it in but wow that price. Rivals the TW store pick price. I will keep buying this online from now on since the price is so much better.

• I like it 5

Just now, flahute said:

Passed on RRSiB for $92. Small local shop finally got it in but wow that price. Rivals the TW store pick price. I will keep buying this online from now on since the price is so much better.

That's a very easy pass.

• I like it 1

Got a call from my local today.   I thought I told him my price limit but he says I’ve got the 2 new Old Fitz releases…

19yr $1700

17yr $1500

• I like it 1

On 2/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, JGriff said:

Got a call from my local today.   I thought I told him my price limit but he says I’ve got the 2 new Old Fitz releases…

19yr $1700

17yr $1500

• I like it 5

Grocery shopping at my local Safeway yesterday, I noticed two bottles of Blanton's in the glass case.  $70 or $63 after 10% six bottle (wine and spirits) mix and match discount.  I know $63 is considered a good price for Blanton's in today's world but I don't need another bottle that much.  I like Blanton's; but for that price I could buy two Eagle Rare, three WT101 or one Rare Breed and have bus fare left over..

• I like it 3

Passed on several Blantons at 199.00 at a  local store, a couple of days ago.

Good , but not that good...

• I like it 6

19 hours ago, troyce said:

Passed on several Blantons at 199.00 at a  local store, a couple of days ago.

Good , but not that good...

Maybe it's the tightwad in me, but $199.00 is atrocious pricing.

• I like it 1

Ha! So far this 'young' year, I'd have to honestly say: ALL of 'em!  Heee-He!     I haven't bought a single bottle . . . so far in '23.

Bourbon Zen!   It's a thing!

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Maybe it's the tightwad in me, but $199.00 is atrocious pricing.

Not a tightwad, it’s plain stupidity.

• I like it 3

multiple stores selling Bookers in my area for 199. stupid

only notable pass was a WTMK one. I really want one of these, but not at 329.

• I like it 2

Nothing outrageously priced but I passed on Larceny BP C922 @ $64.99 and WTKS @ $59.99?  I missed the price on the WTKS but it was in the range.  It was sitting next to WTRB for $51.99 and I would pick that up 10 out of 10 times over WTKS.  That wasn't always the case.  I passed on the Larceny because I just don't like the standard version.  First time, I have seen it on the shelf since it first came out a few years ago.

Went to store I had never been to.  Passed on multiple batches of Old Carter bourbon and rye for $230-$350; EC 18 for $250; Remus Volstead for $230; and a few others. 

I may have to go back.

• I like it 1

I went to the grocery store for milk and noticed a strange sign.  Tomorrow the first 75 customers get a lottery chance to purchase allocated hard to find bottles (implied the usual tater bait from Frankfort).  Hey, I don't give a flying flamingo, even if offered at the new MSRP.

Also saw my first 1.75 liter bottle of High West.

Always plenty of Jefferson's on the shelf too.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Went to store I had never been to.  Passed on multiple batches of Old Carter bourbon and rye for $230-$350; EC 18 for $250; Remus Volstead for $230; and a few others. 

I may have to go back.

Just my opinion but I wouldn’t for those prices.

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Nothing outrageously priced but I passed on Larceny BP C922 @ $64.99 and WTKS @ $59.99?  I missed the price on the WTKS but it was in the range.  It was sitting next to WTRB for $51.99 and I would pick that up 10 out of 10 times over WTKS.  That wasn't always the case.  I passed on the Larceny because I just don't like the standard version.  First time, I have seen it on the shelf since it first came out a few years ago.

I don't care for the standard Larceny either, but I snagged a bottle of the C922 a while back, (I think I paid ~$65.00, or something like that), after reading some stellar reviews on it from fellow board members.    It's really good and, with a splash or over a large cube, it sings. 

For me, the WTKS is always an easy pass.  I've had one pick that was really good, but not "$30.00k better than the standard WT" better. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I don't care for the standard Larceny either, but I snagged a bottle of the C922 a while back, (I think I paid ~$65.00, or something like that), after reading some stellar reviews on it from fellow board members.    It's really good and, with a splash or over a large cube, it sings. 

Yup, what he said.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I stopped in today to pick up some Super Bowl snacks.  I checked and the two bottles on the shelf were gone.  But the shelf label was still there.  The liquor department manager was not there.  I will stop in tomorrow to see if there might be a bottle hidden in the back.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I blame you for the purchase😉

I happily accept "full responsibility" (the same way politicians do!).

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I happily accept "full responsibility" (the same way politicians do!).

🤣   It does drink a tad hot, (kinda/sorta like Barton 1792 Full Proof), but really shines,  with with a splash and holds it's own over a large cube.    The problem with the large cube is that it fools me and I end up drinking it too quickly.    Truth be told, I only drink the higher proof whiskey over the large cube, when the ice is left over from a cocktail.   I can't bring myself to toss a perfectly good cube.    I usually just add a splash, and sip slowly...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

🤣   It does drink a tad hot, (kinda/sorta like Barton 1792 Full Proof), but really shines,  with with a splash and holds it's own over a large cube.    The problem with the large cube is that it fools me and I end up drinking it too quickly.    Truth be told, I only drink the higher proof whiskey over the large cube, when the ice is left over from a cocktail.   I can't bring myself to toss a perfectly good cube.    I usually just add a splash, and sip slowly...

If I backtracked the posts properly, you are referring to Larceny BP?  I attended a Heaven Hill-sponsored tasting last year with barrel proof samples of Old Fitz 2, 4, 6, and 8-yr old and Larceny BP B521 121 proof (same juice as Old Fitz).  My table agreed that the Larceny (6-8 yrs old) was better than all but the 8-yr old Old Fitz and some felt that was a toss-up.

• I like it 2

50 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

If I backtracked the posts properly, you are referring to Larceny BP?  I attended a Heaven Hill-sponsored tasting last year with barrel proof samples of Old Fitz 2, 4, 6, and 8-yr old and Larceny BP B521 121 proof (same juice as Old Fitz).  My table agreed that the Larceny (6-8 yrs old) was better than all but the 8-yr old Old Fitz and some felt that was a toss-up.

From your tasting, did HH say what the combos of barrels and their ages are?  I know that early on they were aiming for a profile, in part tied to an age, by combining multiple ages (most youngish and some more oldish).  

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

From your tasting, did HH say what the combos of barrels and their ages are?  I know that early on they were aiming for a profile, in part tied to an age, by combining multiple ages (most youngish and some more oldish).  

The HH reps said they were straight from the barrel which I took to mean single barrels.  The 2-yr-old was 124.5 proof, the 4-yr was 125.3, the 6-yr was 128.2, and the 8-yr was 114.5 proof.

Looking at my notes, the 2-yr was uninteresting; the 4-yr was "mellow, vanilla, caramel, soft, a little medicinal, with spice on the finish;" the 6-yr was "very little nose, reminds me of Larceny BP;" [lol] the 8-yr was "more oak, not much spice, short-moderate finish.  The Larceny was "lots of age notes like leather, cardboard."

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Yup!