What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

I had the first pour from a FRYL 1.75L - so good.

That big bottle is something to handle when it's full.  I better see if I can make it a little lighter.

• I like it 3

I'm back to trying to finish off some low-fill bottles.   Currently a 'Rocklin Chair' batch of Booker's.   Down to about two more pours.   Wish me luck. Ha!   

It's a nice pour; but, I have plenty!   Very enjoyable over a small cube..

• I like it 3

Having a MM BEP, followed by a WT10, think a OF  1920 to end.. Wishful thinking!!  Have to make Gyros.  

• I like it 2

Fresh cracks of a Weller Antique handle with a screw cap followed by a Kaiyo Japanese whiskey single barrel selected by a group I am in. Pretty big contrast, one very familiar the other very different from my norm.

• I like it 2

Fixin’ to whip me up some Lemon/Butter baked cod, with a 4R 120th.  

BB2A36F2-DC34-4C33-80A2-8D5792B636F2.jpeg

• I like it 10

Booker’s Sip Awhile after some French dip sandwiches and fries.

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

BT  🤷🏻‍♂️

Have not yet cracked the handle I bought at MSRP in May.  Waiting for Summer to get REALLY oppressive.

Instead, I am sipping on some JD BIB with a couple cubes (like, the third pour on these cubes).  NO banana notes although it is interfering with my ability to focus on a “Sister Boniface” mystery on PBS.😃

• I like it 1

As I walked out the door, I noticed the waning moon and (I believe) Venus in the darkening sky this summer solstice so I poured a nice glass of Russell's Reserve SiB and sat on the front porch and marveled for a bit.

Moon and Venus..jpg

• I like it 7

Cubed up last pour of my 1st Old Scout. A worthwhile 6 year old. Got a 7 waiting in the wings to be opened...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Cubed up last pour of my 1st Old Scout. A worthwhile 6 year old. Got a 7 waiting in the wings to be opened...

I have a 5 year "Sarah" pick that's really good.   

• I like it 1

On 6/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, FacePlant said:

Enjoying a little red weller or OWA107 as the board knows it.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:40 PM, smokinjoe said:

Who knows it as Red Weller??  🤣🤣🤣

Red Weller sounds like the name of a hunting dog you'd have if you combined those childhood movies 'Old Yeller' and  'Where the Red Fern Grows' 😆 🐕

• I like it 3

I haven’t opened one of these in a while.  GBS PS Elijah Craig. 

57A7ACA8-EEBF-4978-8CD9-238C3E694684.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 7:15 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yup!!! 

It's my favorite freezer whiskey.  

Ahhhhh.  Very nice on a hot day.  You were right.  This rivals 4RYL as a freezer pour.

20230803_181117.thumb.jpg.2e2b481a32e44f7fbe5e7fc35a2d6c2a.jpg

• I like it 2

On 6/21/2023 at 6:25 PM, smokinjoe said:

Fixin’ to whip me up some Lemon/Butter baked cod, with a 4R 120th.  

BB2A36F2-DC34-4C33-80A2-8D5792B636F2.jpeg

Equilibrium between bottle and glass is a good thing!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ahhhhh.  Very nice on a hot day.  You were right.  This rivals 4RYL as a freezer pour.

20230803_181117.thumb.jpg.2e2b481a32e44f7fbe5e7fc35a2d6c2a.jpg

A hot day in Texas is like a solar explosion for the rest of us.  Stay cool and safe and enjoy chilled pours, my friend. 

On 6/22/2023 at 9:57 PM, smokinjoe said:

I haven’t opened one of these in a while.  GBS PS Elijah Craig. 

57A7ACA8-EEBF-4978-8CD9-238C3E694684.jpeg

GBS goat approved?

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

A hot day in Texas is like a solar explosion for the rest of us.  Stay cool and safe and enjoy chilled pours, my friend. 

Trying my best! 🌞🥵

Cheers buddy! 🥃

• I like it 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/18/2023 at 11:16 AM, Clueby said:

Toasted bourbon blind tasting last night. This was the group consensus left to right ("best" on left). I had the Penelope as my #1 and BH Toast last. The Oak & Eden was by far the darkest of the bunch.

It's a bit hard to make out in the pic:

Micther's>ECT>Penelope>O&E>Bridle&Bit>Daviess>BHT>Bridge&Main.

20230517_184103.jpg

I know this is an older thread, and I apologize, but have many of you tried the Oak and Eden? It was a choice one qtr from my SiB club, it was the reason I quit the club.

It tastes like a combination of bourbon, licorice and sweat socks. Whatever Amburana wood is, I hope there aren't too many trees left. I tried to give this bottle away, no takers.

• I like it 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:18 PM, yobber76 said:

I know this is an older thread, and I apologize, but have many of you tried the Oak and Eden? It was a choice one qtr from my SiB club, it was the reason I quit the club.

It tastes like a combination of bourbon, licorice and sweat socks. Whatever Amburana wood is, I hope there aren't too many trees left. I tried to give this bottle away, no takers.

I was recently there for a meeting. There was a sales pitch to buy stock. Their margins were incredible, I was tempted. Take so-so sourced stuff, drop a bit of oak in, create some finishes, cheap. Excellent distribution.

In could not drink any of it straight, including the award winners (The cabernet finished one & the honey-wheat if memory serves). Quietly poured some in the bathroom when it was empty and went for cocktails. More bitterness than election losers on either side of the aisle. I do not understand the appeal. The novelty? Yes. The numbers? Sure. The taste. No.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 3:44 PM, Anwalt said:

I was recently there for a meeting. There was a sales pitch to buy stock. Their margins were incredible, I was tempted. Take so-so sourced stuff, drop a bit of oak in, create some finishes, cheap. Excellent distribution.

In could not drink any of it straight, including the award winners (The cabernet finished one & the honey-wheat if memory serves). Quietly poured some in the bathroom when it was empty and went for cocktails. More bitterness than election losers on either side of the aisle. I do not understand the appeal. The novelty? Yes. The numbers? Sure. The taste. No.

Uh, but you didn’t tell us about the really important stuff like — What’s the label like?  Fancy?  Exceptionally fancy?  Lots of meaningless but clever poop on it?  And, was the bottle shape distinctive, and was the bottle heavy?  Was the back story interesting?  Like, did nuns smuggle it out of Kentucky under their habits?  Taters need to know this stuff, so fill us up.🤪

BTW, Wash Post had an article about celebrity tequila which is like celebrity vodka and celebrity whiskey or liqueurs.  Take basic spirit and add flavors, a cute bottle, a celeb name, and a premium price and let the cash roll in.  Article said George Clooney and his partners sold their tequila brand to Diageo for an astronomical sum.  The boom hasn’t peaked in distilled spirits, yet, but prices from the majors on legacy brands do seem to have stabilized.  So for me Oak and Eden is a pass.  Thanks for taking the hit for us all.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 3

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Uh, but you didn’t tell us about the really important stuff like — What’s the label like?  Fancy?  Exceptionally fancy?  Lots of meaningless but clever poop on it?  And, was the bottle shape distinctive, and was the bottle heavy?  Was the back story interesting?  Like, did nuns smuggle it out of Kentucky under their habits?  Taters need to know this stuff, so fill us up.🤪

I was gonna, honest! I just thought I'd show a little leg first, before the real show got started.

• I like it 2