What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

Pool concrete is done.  A large pour of a 2017 WLW to celebrate.

• I like it 6

After a hearty  shrub trimming session I enjoyed a nice EW Bib, enjoyed it so much that I followed up with an excellent WT101 late afternoon pour.

• I like it 5

Yesterday started with WT RB, WT101, finished with a MM BEP, life was good!!

• I like it 3

WTRB on a Monday evening..

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:57 PM, IamMatt said:

Found out my wife's car has a blown head gasket (long story but it's not really cost-effective to fix it); went and bought her another car today--that she has been making noises about for the last couple of years--while she is on vacation, so I am treating myself with some Calumet 15.  The dealer I bought the car from is about 15 minutes from two favorite liquor stores but the $hell $hock of having to buy the new car overcame my urge to go shopping.  It will be fun, though, picking her up at the airport tomorrow in HER new car that she has no idea she was getting.

To clarify, her "new" car isn't "new;" we tend to buy gently used cars and drive them for a long time.  So hers is a 2019 Niro with 47,000 miles.  Even with low miles I brought it to a local repair shop I trust for a once-over ("pre-purchase inspection") just to be on the safe side.  This shop usually has a few whiskey bottles in behind the desk in the office area so I brought them some samples--Sagamore Cask Strength Rye, Redwood Empire Lost Monarch, Barrell Dovetail, and Calumet 12.  When I picked the car up the bill was $0.00.  I think I owe them a full bottle now!

• I like it 5

Today is Mrs. Clueby and my 30th wedding anniversary.  We spent the day with the grandson and grabbed a bite (and a couple Yuenglings) after dropping him off with mom. Now we are back home on the deck watching some Stanley Cup hockey (Go, Knights, Go!). I figure an EC18 and a W12 added together make 30!

20230605_194916.jpg

20230605_094818.jpg

• I like it 16

58 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Today is Mrs. Clueby and my 30th wedding anniversary.  We spent the day with the grandson and grabbed a bite (and a couple Yuenglings) after dropping him off with mom. Now we are back home on the deck watching some Stanley Cup hockey (Go, Knights, Go!). I figure an EC18 and a W12 added together make 30!

20230605_194916.jpg

20230605_094818.jpg

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

20230605_194916.jpg

20230605_094818.jpg

What??? No Blanton's Gold . . . .  😂?  Happy anniversary you two.  🥳

• I like it 1

Smoke Wagon Uncut the Younger last night after dinner.  Nice, uncomplicated nose of caramel, apple, white sugar and a touch of cinnamon.  Sweet and spicy on the palate with good balance and a surprisingly long finish.  Not as complex as the UCUF but worth a buy at the K&L sale price of $37. 

smoke wagon the younger.jpg

• I like it 5

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

What??? No Blanton's Gold . . . .  😂?  Happy anniversary you two.  🥳

I am sure they would accept a bottle as an anniversary gift.  😮😀

• I like it 2

I wasn't going to drink tonight but I am a moron.

My employer keeps dumping more (work) on me.

I opted for a few pours of Legent to cut the edge between stress and pissed.  No issues.  The Legent worked.  No stress, no pissed.  😀

I bought this bottle for $10 so based on my estimates, my attitude was adjusted for a $3.33.  😀  I am a Chump Bastard and a Cheap Bastard.  This means I am good at multi-tasking. 😉

• I like it 7

I'm drinking a single barrel of KO's in house wheated bourbon. Cask strength at 125.4 proof and 4 years and 10 months of aging. Shows very nicely for what it is. No overly young notes on the nose or palate, typical wheater sweetness, decent finish. Fairly one note, but hopefully the complexity will develop with more age. They also make a 100% rye, rye whiskey in house and the single barrel pick of it I tried was quite good. Somebody in Virginia other than Bowman can make good whiskey!

• I like it 2

Half-filled bottles are fun to mess with.    Tonight I'm blending a Westward single {barley) malt with a Kyro single rye malt.   Kyro is whiskey from Finland.     They are both aged well enought to taste good but for a flawed finish.   The Kyro has a great peachy flavor that finishes a bit harsh.   The Westward's sin is worse - a hint of linoleum.   

A 50/50 blend  does wonders for the finish,  which now doesn't distract a bit from the liquid fruit loops.    The nose remains poor -  like putty.   

And tonight I saw something I never saw before on a baseball field.    The Phillies'  leadoff batter,  Kyle Schwarber,  hit a tater out of the park    And that was it.   That was the final score,  1 - 0.  (Hat tip to Taiwan Walker,)   Wonder if that's ever been done before?   

• I like it 1

On 6/5/2023 at 7:57 PM, Clueby said:

20230605_194916.jpg

20230605_094818.jpg

This whole post is beautiful!!! Happy 30th...

Again with the MM freezer pour...

I really dig this outa the freezer. Better than OF86 and everything else I have tried except the W107, but that just isn't sustainable in the bourbon Gulf Coast cline!!!

• I like it 1

Again with the MM freezer pour...

I really dig this outa the freezer. Better than OF86 and everything else I have tried except the W107, but that just isn't sustainable in the bourbon Gulf Coast cline!!!

Sorry for the dups... Puter response - flakey

Edited by bayouredd

Stay with 1792 but switching to Sweet Wheat tonight.

• I like it 1

Our bourbon and cigar group got together at my American Legion Post this evening. All remaining members were present including a “new” guy. Turns out the new guy had ties to two others in our group, and has perused the archives of SB on occasion and knew me from some of my posts. Small world. Jefferson’s, Green River Wheated, BT and Ten High Straight Bourbon were enjoyed by all. Nice weather, great company, wonderful evening. 🙂 ”Don’t git no better’n that Vern.” 😉

IMG_4225.thumb.jpeg.47f0529e60553b8479043b740561b56e.jpeg

• I like it 8