What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

Happy FRyeday, SB’rs.
Earlier, I watched some MLB, now I’m sipping on WTRBR, while catching up on Japan F1 practices. 
Have a good weekend folks. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

I bought another rittenhouse store pick today. I seem to be amassing a few of them.

20240406_145647.jpg

• I like it 7

Not for me. I picked this up for @JerseyDon. He’s incapacitated for a couple of days. 😐

IMG_4139.thumb.jpeg.1188be22fd2b81cf6ff82e39883c38a2.jpeg

• I like it 6

Last week in the "what bottle have you opened" thread  I posted about the new Sagamore Bottled in Bond 6 Year Rye that I recently purchased.  I have compared it to the previous  year's Sagamore "5 Year" Bottled in Bond (released in 2022 I think?). 

In this dedicated "rye whiskey" thread, I thought I should also post my feedback from my SBS:

I would definitely give a *very slight* edge to the 6 year over the 5 year, but the difference is so close. 

The only "big" advantage that the 6 has over the 5 is on the nose:  the depth that the extra year in the barrel makes for a much more pleasant nose, with clear notes of oak creeping into the experience that the 5 year just does not provide.

The palate taste and the finish are only slight (but still noticeable) wins for the 6 yr compared to the 5 yr. 

On balance, my verdict is that I would not pass over the 5 yr BiB if I saw it on the shelf at MSRP.  But for the same (or close to the same) price, I recommend the newer 6 year BiB.

Now, let's talk about price.  Which, btw, might vary considerably in different parts of the country. 

I paid only $52-54 for the previous release 5 Year BiB in 2023.  I thought that was a fair price for Sagamore's own in-house distillate.

This year, I recently had to pay $65ish for the newer 6 Year BiB.  I get it, Bidenflation and all that.   BUT:  having tasted them both in a SBS, ... if I saw them both on the shelf today for those prices I'd probably recommend that you snag the 5 year at yesterday's prices over the 6 year at today's prices.   (IF you are actually lucky enough to see yesterday's prices).  Pro tip 😉

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Last week in the "what bottle have you opened" thread  I posted about the new Sagamore Bottled in Bond 6 Year Rye that I recently purchased.  I have compared it to the previous  year's Sagamore "5 Year" Bottled in Bond (released in 2022 I think?). 

In this dedicated "rye whiskey" thread, I thought I should also post my feedback from my SBS:

I would definitely give a *very slight* edge to the 6 year over the 5 year, but the difference is so close. 

The only "big" advantage that the 6 has over the 5 is on the nose:  the depth that the extra year in the barrel makes for a much more pleasant nose, with clear notes of oak creeping into the experience that the 5 year just does not provide.

The palate taste and the finish are only slight (but still noticeable) wins for the 6 yr compared to the 5 yr. 

On balance, my verdict is that I would not pass over the 5 yr BiB if I saw it on the shelf at MSRP.  But for the same (or close to the same) price, I recommend the newer 6 year BiB.

Now, let's talk about price.  Which, btw, might vary considerably in different parts of the country. 

I paid only $52-54 for the previous release 5 Year BiB in 2023.  I thought that was a fair price for Sagamore's own in-house distillate.

This year, I recently had to pay $65ish for the newer 6 Year BiB.  I get it, Bidenflation and all that.   BUT:  having tasted them both in a SBS, ... if I saw them both on the shelf today for those prices I'd probably recommend that you snag the 5 year at yesterday's prices over the 6 year at today's prices.   (IF you are actually lucky enough to see yesterday's prices).  Pro tip 😉

Both the 5 and 6 year BIB are excellent IMO. The 4 year, their first release was a little lacking. They have just released a core line change, where their basic product is now all made in house and bumped the proof a bit. I have yet to try one, but it's on my list.

• I like it 2

I dug around in the stash today and decided to open this new riff, it's from a barrel I really enjoyed.

20240407_161503.jpg

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, Mattk said:

Both the 5 and 6 year BIB are excellent IMO. The 4 year, their first release was a little lacking. They have just released a core line change, where their basic product is now all made in house and bumped the proof a bit. I have yet to try one, but it's on my list.

Interesting development about the new core lineup... -  I didn't know that.  I've found that it takes almost a year for new Sagamore products to make their way to retail shelves here in Texas. But something to look forward to!

Edited by Kepler
spelling

On 4/2/2024 at 11:54 PM, MM818 said:

Second time visiting this bottle and it’s such an impressive bottle of whiskey. On the palate it’s very balanced, medicinal and sweet and then comes a monster, lingering finish. Tonight it’s as good as any MK. 

IMG_2168.jpeg

At some point I need to try another one of these. The one I purchased was one of the worst bottles I have ever owned, bottom 2 with a 4RSBBS OBSQ. Now I have seen the light on OBSQ having tasted others that were excellent. I've no doubt the house of Russell being my other favorite distillery can win me back on the SBBP rye as I love the 101 and RB versions,  but damn that lone SBBP was so bad, it will take a solid sample or 3 from somewhere at sometime to get me back on the train. Glad your experience is a positive one!!

• I like it 2

On 4/6/2024 at 6:23 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Not for me. I picked this up for @JerseyDon. He’s incapacitated for a couple of days. 😐

IMG_4139.thumb.jpeg.1188be22fd2b81cf6ff82e39883c38a2.jpeg

This is a nice rye, one of those "daily pours" we talk about, though priced at the upper end for that. I have and like this quite a bit, but then again I am very much a rye guy. No doubt it will be appreciated and enjoyed!! You're a good egg Joe. Slainte!!

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

I'm going to have to start thinking about replacing this one....20240412_220208.thumb.jpg.aa61afc8ab47c87df740f1659cba1584.jpg

• I like it 2

I'm into the Old Forester Rye.  😊  So glad I found a couple of these the last grocery store sale.

• I like it 2

I had a taste for a Sazerac tonight.  Made one with Alberta Premium Cask Strength and then decided to try another with Old Overholt.  I kinda did that in the wrong order.  

• I like it 1

Picked this up today on the way home from an offsite vendor meeting, and sipping on it now.  
Good Lord!  I don’t even know where to begin to describe what it is bringing.  Initially, it like smacks me in the mouth with a proofy, spicy, STFU attitude, but then I quickly realized there’s more of something barreling up behind that.  Then…. Then creaminess, baking spices and herbs, which herbs I can’t say right now, but they don’t overcome that WT rye spiciness.  They just perfectly complement them.  The ride is awesome.  

Epic whiskey.

IMG_5097.jpeg

• I like it 8

Haven’t posted in awhile, but have been lurking and keeping up with as much as I can.   Having a special pour while having brunch. 

IMG_5588.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 4/16/2024 at 6:24 PM, smokinjoe said:

Picked this up today on the way home from an offsite vendor meeting, and sipping on it now.  
Good Lord!  I don’t even know where to begin to describe what it is bringing.  Initially, it like smacks me in the mouth with a proofy, spicy, STFU attitude, but then I quickly realized there’s more of something barreling up behind that.  Then…. Then creaminess, baking spices and herbs, which herbs I can’t say right now, but they don’t overcome that WT rye spiciness.  They just perfectly complement them.  The ride is awesome.  

Epic whiskey.

IMG_5097.jpeg

I've  reeled in buying, (I already have more whiskey than I can safely drink in this lifetime)but,  I'll buy this one if I ever see it.

And that glass???  Beautiful!

Just one tonight. Killing off a high west double rye from a 375. This one is marked 16k21 and is just OK. It definitely does not stand up to pretty much all the others I've had.

• I like it 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:09 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

NFL Draft pour...

20240425_205033.jpg

The JDSBBPR is finally showing up with some degree of regularity in my neck of the woods.  Picked one up yesterday in anticipation of today (Fryeday) for $65 plus tax.  Just wrapping my lips around the neck pour as we speak.  

On the nose I've got overwhelming candied pecans.  Not unpleasant at all.  Mine clocks in at 131.9 proof.  Jury's still out on whether or not this is a rebuy at this price.  If I'm being honest (and I usually am), I get a similar experience from other high proof ryes at a price point around $50 (e.g. Alberta Premium Cask Strength and Sagamore Spirit Cask Strength).  I will have to revisit this a few times to verify my findings. It's a burden I'm willing to bear.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Thomm said:

The JDSBBPR is finally showing up with some degree of regularity in my neck of the woods.  Picked one up yesterday in anticipation of today (Fryeday) for $65 plus tax.  Just wrapping my lips around the neck pour as we speak.  

On the nose I've got overwhelming candied pecans.  Not unpleasant at all.  Mine clocks in at 131.9 proof.  Jury's still out on whether or not this is a rebuy at this price.  If I'm being honest (and I usually am), I get a similar experience from other high proof ryes at a price point around $50 (e.g. Alberta Premium Cask Strength and Sagamore Spirit Cask Strength).  I will have to revisit this a few times to verify my findings. It's a burden I'm willing to bear.

I have a bottle that I haven't opened yet, that clocks in at 133 proof.   I always add a splash, or a small cube to the JD, and it really opens up nicely.     I'm getting the candied pecans as well on the nose from the JD, but not at all from the Sagamore.    I don't find them similar at all.

Like you, I'm willing to bear the same burden, and revisit the Sagamore.  

6 hours ago, aquavite said:

Bulleit Rye for me.

If you like that (and I do) there are a lot of different versions out there.  Almost anytime you see "rye whiskey" and "distilled in Indiana" it was made by MGP in Lawrenceburg Indiana.  They provide rye whiskey for many brands.  The 95% rye mash bill has a distinctive profile.  

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

If you like that (and I do) there are a lot of different versions out there.  Almost anytime you see "rye whiskey" and "distilled in Indiana" it was made by MGP in Lawrenceburg Indiana.  They provide rye whiskey for many brands.  The 95% rye mash bill has a distinctive profile.  

Thanks much!  Right now, I'm more focused on Bourbon and not Rye so much, but I will return to it.

And, I'll add Elijah Craig to my "2nd Round" purchase group I mentioned in my introduction.   I haven't decided on whether or not I want to start with the Small Batch or step it up to Single Barrel or Barrel proof.  But since I'm also interested in the Woodford Reserve Double Oak, I might just go for the EC Barrel Proof.  We'll see.  The 18 year is a bit beyond my capabilities, Just a tad pricey. 

I'm watching too many "Bourbon Hunter" YouTube videos.  I could be wrong, but I can't believe these people have tasted all the things they say they have.  I'm also seeing, though, that some of the stores are carrying allocated stuff (Papy etc.) and secondary mkt prices ($2000 for a 23). Still, way out of my league, but....  At least, I now know how to get on email "drop" lists in my area,  Even if I do nothing with the notifications, I'll get a sense of what the timing is so I can strike when ready.

For now, some very basic 2nd string picks:

1)  Buffalo Trace (std).

2) 1792 Std.

3) Elijah Craig (Barrel proof - maybe)

4) More Bulleit Bourbon

5) Woodford Reserver double Oak.

I'll train myself on these, first, before I branch out.

Edited by aquavite

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm getting the candied pecans as well on the nose from the JD, but not at all from the Sagamore.    I don't find them similar at all.

Yeah, I guess I just worded that incorrectly.  They are not similar.  What I was driving at was the quality/ price ratio, insofar as I can get a similar quality experience from the Sagamore as I can from the JD

In fact, my first tasting of the JD found it somewhat one-dimensional.  It had a syrupy sweetness that was delicious, but I found nothing else that pushed through the heat and the sweet and boldly stated, "I'm here!"  I will most certainly add a few drops of water at the next tasting and see where it goes.  The neat pour may have been a mistake. 

• I like it 1