Show Us Your Stash -- Version 2

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dave,

That is a great stash......the CC20 is a great drink, can't wait for the 30yo they are releasing this year!

nice buy on the Bundy Centenary bottle, I have seen them go for more than the $1250 you mentioned, but like with anything...it's a right-place-right-time sorta thing.

Cheers

Scott

Their ad campaigns are quite good too - type 'drop bear' into uTube for a laugh.Cheers

Tym.

Gary, Dane and I had some fun watching Drop Bear comercials on Utube the Sunday (or was it Monday?) after the Sampler...they really are unique.

Gary,

We sent a Bundaberg Rum Triple Filtered bottle over....ask Dawn what it's like :puke:

and she's a rum drinker!

Scott

Scott, Gary, I think that bottle ended up at Cliffs place in KY.

Thanks all for these comments and I just remembered that I was with Cam and Dane when watching those commercials, but I did not taste from the bottle mentioned. I'll remember to ask Cliff when next at his place.

By the way spirits with milk is an old version of the toddy, a British-derived concoction, ultimately. There was a fashion in the 1950's in America for scotch and milk for example. It has to go back to the old British "caudles" and similar mixtures of eggs, cream, spirits and beer or wine.

Well, egg nog, there you go. (And brown cow, I wonder if people still drink that? Kahlua and milk).

Gary

Here's my stash. I really don't store the bulk of it on the table in the family room, it normally lives in a crowded cabinet in the kitchen. There was no way to take a good photo of it there, so everyone went for a short trip.

The first photo is of one of the media cabinets in the family room. I keep the special stuff and some other new finds there.

IMG_1941.JPG

and

IMG_1948.JPG

(And brown cow, I wonder if people still drink that? Kahlua and milk).

Gary

We're getting off topic here, but I definately have one every now and again. Add some ice cream and it makes a nice alternative to a chocolate milkshake :grin:

• 2 months later...
2995367243_832fa05b53_b.jpgSo my first bunker pics. I was surprised how much I have gathered, as most of these usually stay in the cellar, and this is the first time they have all been out together. The best of the bunch? Would have to be PVW 15. Blown away by how good it is. but there's not a loser in the bunch as far as I am concerned. Well - to be fair, there are three that I have yet to open -Old Forester - FRSmB - Stagg. Most proud of the Van Winkle Collection. 2995369691_9f67c3d824_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few pics to update since it's been a while.

#1. Last weeks haul. The Weller Centennial was via a trade. Thanks Chilidawg!

#2. My Weller

#3. My Eagle Rare

#4. My Van Winkle

#5. My BTAC

#6. Other stuff

#7. Other stuff 2

#8. My minis

I have a few other odds and ends, but this is what I consider "My Stash"

So far so good. Thanks to everyone who helped with answers to my questions and recommended different bourbons to me. It's been a great experience and I look forward to more of the same in the future. Joe

post-3455-14489814900608_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489814900824_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489814901047_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489814901255_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489814901468_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489814901678_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489814901894_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489814902117_thumb.jpg

Blue,

When you go to your liquor cabinet, you have some tough decisions to make.

That's a great "start".

Just a few pics to update since it's been a while.

#1. Last weeks haul. The Weller Centennial was via a trade. Thanks Chilidawg!

#2. My Weller

#3. My Eagle Rare

#4. My Van Winkle

#5. My BTAC

#6. Other stuff

#7. Other stuff 2

#8. My minis

I have a few other odds and ends, but this is what I consider "My Stash"

So far so good. Thanks to everyone who helped with answers to my questions and recommended different bourbons to me. It's been a great experience and I look forward to more of the same in the future. Joe

Blue nice job, that looks like one hell of a start! Not sure where you go from there? The good thing is the rest of your purchases could be quite a bit cheaper :grin:!

It appears someone in your house is fond of the sweet mash? What are your thoughts?

Tony

Thanks for the kind words on the stash everyone.

I’m a recovering Scotch drinker that has seen the light and goodness of bourbon.

Many people think I am crazy for having the bunker collection starting, but I would like to give a heartfelt thanks and a raised glass to all of you on this board for educating me in my lurking times.

I am both happy and sad that I opened and enjoyed some of one of the BTEC Zinfandel bottles. I wish I could find some Pappy 15. They are my benchmarks.

To actually answer your question:

Several bourbon loving friends and I enjoyed the Sweet Mash on Friday while playing a friendly game of cards. You can tell from the level of the bottle that it did not take too much arm twisting for people to have a second (and third) pour. I was actually surprised at the quantity consumed neat.

1) The nose is slightly sweeter than regular Woodford ).

2) It is very sweet tasting (almost sugary).

3) Very little burn (I may be getting used to cask strength)

4) It is nothing like any other bourbon I have had – Except the BTEC 6yr Zinfandel (maybe that is why I liked it).

5) It is a bit expensive in comparison to my benchmark Pappy 15.

I don’t have the sophisticated palate that many of you do when it comes to bourbon drinking, but I was surprised that others ranked it so low. If you have the chance to partake of some, judge it on it’s own character and not against other bourbons and I think you will be happy.

What do you think my next stash items should be? Which in the collection do you reccomend I enjoy?

Cheers!

P.S. It is true - I don't live in Pennsylvania.

Pappy 23, Willett (any), RHFs, Vintage 17, Old Fitz pre 1995, WT 8 and 12 year, WTKS, WTAS, blanton's... To name a few

Pappy 23, Willett (any), RHFs, Vintage 17, Old Fitz pre 1995, WT 8 and 12 year, WTKS, WTAS, blanton's... To name a few

Yep,

You have that and two gross of other bottles (and if they're too gross send them to me for disposal ;) ).

Roger

If you have not had one yet the Lot B 12yr old would be a good one to try! If you have had the Lot B open a Saz 18 rye, it is very nice.

As for what to add next? Read here and find some stuff that will not be on the shelf much longer, Weller Centennial, WTRR 101, anything you have read on the Bourbon Heritage collection. You might look at an extra William Larue Weller and a Thomas H Handy since you may open the ones you have and will for sure want another!

Good luck and thanks for the reply on the Sweet Mash.

Tony

Pat gave me the picture above my bourbon collection for our 32nd wedding anniversary along with a nice trip to Cumberland Falls :grin: :grin: :grin:

I collect memorabilia that relate to my family of Beam Distiller's and my ventures along the way...This is just some of my collection....I've done some re-arranging for the Thanksgiving holiday's before the kids come calling :grin: :grin: The guy that framed the picture for Pat wanted to see it's final destination that's why I took the picture...

Every year Pat's employer publishes a huge callendar...pristine printing...just one for each and every employee (1,800) :grin: :grin: When Pat brought it home, I loved it. I was quite surprised and proud at the same time, that Mr. Simon picked that photo for his calender :grin: :grin: It will hang in my home for years to come :grin:

The second shelf in the middle is the entire collection of EWSB from start till today...

A special note from another thread, EWSB won whiskey of the year two consecutive years (Malt Advocate)...1990 and 1991 :grin: :grin:

There's the Blue wax in there and the orange wax also...(orange :grin: :grin: from TNbourbon several years ago :grin: )

The top shelf in the middle contain the bottles held close :grin: :grin: Old Heaven Hill (gold wax) 28 year BIB...

William Heaven Hill (with wooden box)...

The first 1986 EWSB (with box) :grin: :grin: I have two but that one was given to me from Cliff as a Christmas gift many years ago :grin: :grin:

Three miniature bottles of whiskey made in Mexico by my Great Grandfather Joseph L. Beam during Prohibition :grin: :grin:

Yes, I do love Elvis :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489814955313_thumb.jpg

If you have the chance to partake of some, judge it on it’s own character and not against other bourbons and I think you will be happy.

Awesome Bettye Jo, truely awesome! :cool: :cool: Some amazing pictures to compliment a great collection :cool: :cool:

• 2 months later...

Finally my stash is respectable enough to warrant a picture....maybe two...1 bunker photo and 1 open for consumption photo...the lovely lady in the back row is Old Crow 10/86 from 1968.

100_1663.jpg

100_1664.jpg

Andy,

Is that a sketch/poster of a scatily dressed lady on the kitchen wall?

Details, please.

TJ

Nice start to the collection Andy. You need to travel to DC when Emerald is in town and we'll do some dusty shopping.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!