Spring Stagg?

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Best Stagg release  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Best Stagg release

• Stagg 2002 (137.6 pr)
    • Stagg 2003 (142.7 pr)
    • Stagg 2004 (129 pr)
    • Stagg S/2005 (130.9 pr)
    • Stagg S/2005 (131.8 pr)

Darn it! It's always so slow to get it up here! I've left messages with my Sazerac guy but no word, yet.

Yeah, it's definitely slower... try ordering it through a liquor control state... the current word I've got is that NH won't be getting it for at least 3 more weeks.

The bottles I've picked up are 130.9 proof. There is another, slightly higher proof available, though I haven't seen it in Lexington.

I believe Ken stated earlier that KY will get the 130.9 proof, the 131.9 will be distributed outside KY. I can't confirm that, because we haven't seen it yet here.

Tim, it's still showing on the PLCB website as on backorder, but it's showing the proof as 131.8.

I've ordered it through VA ABC without any estimate when (or even IF) it will actually arrive. We'll see what happens.

The flavor I couldn't put my finger on during my "Real-Time Vicarious Tasting" of Spring Stagg during last nites chat, is Orange in the finish. Something between unsweetened orange and orange peel. A nice touch! yum.gif

The flavor I couldn't put my finger on during my "Real-Time Vicarious Tasting" of Spring Stagg during last nites chat, is Orange in the finish. Something between unsweetened orange and orange peel. A nice touch! yum.gif

OK, now I _really_ want a bottle of this!! drinking.gif I'm on three store lists in MA and two of them just might actually come through... wish me luck!

If anyone sees any Stagg in New England, let me know! I'll let you know if/when any of my prospects come through.

You are correct, we are trying to keep the lots together and Kentucky will get the 130.9.

Ken

Bobby,

I could not be as exact as you. I describe the taste as citrus. I will try it again and see if I can more accurately ascribe which citrus taste I come up with; perhaps it is orange.

Ken

Enough of reading about others getting a taste! Give Dane a taste before he withers up and blows away.......

Dane Bennett

Founder/President/CEO of Bring Stagg to Missouri Coalition

Spring Stagg hit Michigan yesterday but is hard to find. The Wine Castle in Ann Arbor had 3 bottles (now no more than two). $46.62 for those who want the price. I must admit I will admire it for a while before opening.

131.8 Proof

I didn't mean to be overly specific, but I'm not getting lemons, limes or grapefruit, so to my taste at least, the unsweetened Orange and Orange Peel is the best way for me to put it.

I want to say Many Thanks for Buffalo Trace bringing out this spring bottling. Until I tasted it, I was wondering if suddenly we were to see "plenty" of Stagg available, seeing that we all know that you can sell every drop you can bottle. Regardless, this one lives up to everything I expect Stagg to be, Thanks again. toast.gif

Lukes Liquors in Rockland MA came through with two bottles of Stagg for me today! I don't know if they only got one case (probably) but at least I'm sipping some now. Sorta pricey though ($49.95 each), but it's a whole lot cheaper than me driving to KY!!

Nice... nice... I diluted it down to 107 proof, and I think that's probably a little high. I'll try 100 next time.

Cheers!! yum.gif

I had a taste of the Spring Stagg last night at WhiskeyFest Chicago. It is different from previous bottlings, very different from the original, which I found was dominated by barrel flavors with a little sootiness. This new one has very little of that. Though still clearly long-aged, it has more sweetness and I did get orange, maybe I'd even say orange zest.

$46.62?

$49.95?

I am willing to part with non-essential body parts to get mine and you guys are carping about prices under fifty bucks?

Just kidding! wink.gif

Ed

I'm with you Edward (except for the thing about body parts blush.gif ).

Last year I ordered a bottle of Stagg from Hi Time in Costa Mesa, CA, and I paid $80 (IIRC) for the honor.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I shipped a bottle of last years Stagg from a US retailer to Australia. With tax and duties it ended up costing $180AU or approx $135US

I drool at paying under $50US for a bottle crazy.gif

Please let the record show that at $46.62, I was not complaining. I was just letting the forum know the price in MI. Note: Current liquor laws in MI set a minimum price and allow for the retailer to charge a premium if they wish. On speciality or unusual most retailers charge a premium (even the ones that advertise they do not) but this is the minimun price with tax.

My only regret is that I did not buy two.

Will

$46.62?

$49.95?

I am willing to part with non-essential body parts to get mine and you guys are carping about prices under fifty bucks?

Just kidding! wink.gif

Ed

smile.gif

The only reason I comment is that the PA state stores have the spring '05 Stagg in their price list at $39.99, which is a cheerful, plenty cheap price! Yeah, I'd buy a whole lotta Stagg at that price... let's find out when it shows up!! As of now, it doesn't exist in PA...

...but I bought my two bottles without even asking David Luke who runs Lukes Liquors what they went for - I found out at the register when I picked it up later that night. I figure he priced it to get what he needed and that's fine...

I was just pleased to get some!! And so far, he's the only guy to come through for me. Atlas in Medford doesn't have any and the Wine Gallery in Brookline hasn't called yet - my only other two possible sources in MA.

Hey, the next day after I tasted some, I noticed some black stuff in the bottom of my glass, and then looked in the bottom of the bottles and found a modicum of char in the bottles. Cool! So, does this mean that Stagg spring '05 is not chill filtered, and basically minimally mechanically filtered at that??!! Ken??

TIA...

-monte-

Monte,

How do you know you diluted it downb to 107 proof. Is there a formula?

The calculator linked by camduncan seems to work right. I just used some olde tyme algebra and ended up with the same result, but you might as well use the calculator page and be a happier man...

If you're a nerd at heart, all I did was get a 30ml pour (1 fl. oz) of Stagg and then determine how much water to add to make it the desired proof. The math goes like this: if I have 131.8 proof Stagg and I want a 107 proof drink, then I divide 131.8 by 107 and then subtract 1 from that. Then, I multiply that by the size of my pour and I get the amount of water to add to my 30ml 131.8 pour to take it to 107. In my case, it's 6.5ml of water to add to my 30ml pour to get 107 proof Stagg. Tonight I used 9ml to get a 100 proof pour, and it's interesting... I think I want something around 104 next time...

To measure the water, I used a little syringe sold to parents who need to give precise doses of medicine to babies - it works great. I really should use it also to dole out the whiskey, but I'm afraid of the whiskey trashing the polymers in the little syringe!! For now, I eyeball it into a calibrated bar glass...

Take care,

-monte-

Yeah, I'd buy a whole lotta Stagg at that price... let's find out when it shows up!! As of now, it doesn't exist in PA...

Monte, I'm a manager in a PA store. I'm checking daily on our intranet. It looks like we are getting 44 cases statewide. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.