Spring Stagg?

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Best Stagg release  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Best Stagg release

• Stagg 2002 (137.6 pr)
    • Stagg 2003 (142.7 pr)
    • Stagg 2004 (129 pr)
    • Stagg S/2005 (130.9 pr)
    • Stagg S/2005 (131.8 pr)

You should have have a couple bottles already. Or were you just waiting to get more?

Shhhh....I do....but those were the Kentucky versions (130.9), no one else in California knows about those yet....Let's just keep that our little secret....

I was refering to the "general release" version....but alas', the hand-off never occoured last night so I remain somewhat staggless....Kinda like the missing tooth in a beautiful smile!

Best regards,

dog

Cliff stopped by for some last minute trading on his way home. I T-boned the grill and somewhere in our conversation he mentioned he hadn't had a chance to do an A-B comparison of the Kentucky release Spring Stagg and the 2002. I realised that we could do that very thing then and there. We decided to do it blind and with Amelia as a willing accomplice she made a few pours. We used the 1792 glasses from the sampler and also the Buffalo Trace Glass. After a bit of that we readjusted to 2 more 1792 glasses and a post it note to tell the difference. After much nosing, tasting and cleansing the palate with t-bones, we made our choices and wrote them down. The pressure had been on!

Results, unanimous,and correctly identified. We still prefer the 2002, but the 2005 a very strong and good entry in this series.

The similiarities of the 2 bottlings really come out in a side by side.

They say time flies when you're having fun, it really does, this afternoon was over quick. toast.gif

Even down under its arrived (via air freight, self imported), now with two I can do a side by side tasting with the 04. icon_pidu.gif

Now that's something to look forward to this winter.

I T-boned the grill

Bobby,

Are you saying that you grilled a few steaks, or that you struck your outdoor grill broadside with a vehicle? Just asking, one never knows about these things.grin.gif

I obtained a bottle of the 05 GTS last week, and finally opened it up last night. Quite nice with big caramel and black pepper on the nose. Of all the GTS releases, I rank 'em in descending order as follows; 02,05,04,03. As always, YMMV.

Well, I am happy to announce that UPS showed up with my "backup" bottle of Stagg from Hi-Time Wine. A friend who lives in NH is also bringing me a case from that fine state this weekend, so I will end up with 4 bottles, and maybe more if I can build up enough cash reserves to buy more of the 50 cases NH got before they are all gone.

I will crack the bottle open this evening, and if the rain holds off, I may even sit outside and pair it with an Arturo Fuente Don Carlos that I picked up yesterday. yum.gif

Life is good! woohoo.gif

Sorry I wasn't clear on the meaning, it did have something to do with an unfortunate steer, and not the steering of a motorised vehicle! lol.gif

That is the order I place them in as well. That said I'm also hoping that the 03 doesn't get bumped from the bottom anytime soon. Too bad some of the marketing folks at another distillery didn't co-op at Buffalo Trace, especially on the day they figured out they can sell all the rich, full flavored,barrel proof Stagg they can produce, regardless of what the Baby Boomers' Babies like to drink. horseshit.gif

I haven't had any of the earlier bottlings, so I can't really rank them. That being said, I just opened my '05 Stagg, and... W O W ! For such an extraordinarily high proof, it's very drinkable. There's a bit of a burn, but it's quite pleasant. yum.gifwoohoo.gifyum.gif I didn't even need to add any water.

There seems to be more of a rye (rye bread?) tang than the Knob Creek I had earlier, but also a nice sweetness inside. Like the KC, I'm noticing hints of orange, as well. A magnificent sippin' whiskey, indeed, even if you're a die-hard peat freak like me!

If you like high-proof Scotches, and you want to try a high-proof Bourbon, grab a bottle of Stagg while you can! I think I better bunker some. blush.gif

Conversely, if you like the Stagg and want to try a high-octane Scotch, Aberlour A'Bunadh (a Speyside sherry bomb) or Ardbeg Uigeadail (some Deep Peat from Islay) are well worth it... I love them both.

Touching on the Russell's Reserve situation, regardless of the spin_icon.gif coming from Pernod Ricard, I think they're idiots to water down RR. Stagg is positive proof grin.gif that a strong spirit doesn't have to be fire water. Sounds to me like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing - the A'Bunadh mentioned above is also a Pernod Ricard product, and it's always around 58-60% ABV depending on the batch. It's quite good in its own right.

I can confirm that Binny's is now shipping Stagg to mail-order customers. It's not listed on their site. You'll need to contact Brett directly.

Tim,

I was in Nashville about two weeks ago and they prevailed upon us to send them some additional Stagg. The only problem was that we did not have much left. We actually had about 12 cases that the distributors ordered but did not have shipped prior to the end of the month. Alas, they lost them. Still, 21 extra bottles does not go far.

Ken

Thanks, Ken -- we haven't been offered any of it, and I doubt we will be. The liquor manager is reportedly pretty steamed at me for tipping off how little he had to distribute by looking so far and wide for it.

One of the stores he had to skip the first go-'round has been told to expect 'a surprise' in its next delivery, the owner tells me, so I may be able to snag a couple more there.

If not, well -- I managed to grab 5 of the original 30, and a customer of our store who I turned onto it last fall snatched 4 more, so we got our share (or more). I'm not really trying to corner the market, just laying in a decent supply.

• 1 month later...

I'm out in the San Jose, CA area relaxing with friends while Val is working down in Orange County. Made stops at two different liquor stores here and both had the 2005 spring Stagg. Having some now and its all rich caramel, spice ..... and smoother than any of the previous Stagg's IMO. Perhaps not as much going on in the glass as '02 and '04 either. Maybe just a hint of that orange others have detected. Anyway, it appears that either CA gets a large allocation or it's just not a hot item out here.

I've seen some tax stamped oldies too.....but my cart is already brimming full of wines we purchased down in Paso Robles (and the Stagg too).

Randy

My supplier in Maryland just found a few more cases in the back of his store and is holding two cases for me. His distributor said there would NOT be a fall Stagg release this year.. I was under the impression that the Spring release was a one-timer , but Fall releases would continue.

Anyone know if the Fall release is definite for this year?

Well, Dave, I can't find the post at the moment, but I do remember the question being asked earlier, and Ken Weber answering affirmatively.

This spring bottling was the oddball -- the fall bottling is the annual planned affair.

His distributor said there would not be a fall Stagg release this year

I notice you live in MD as do I. Regardless of whether this ends up being true, my experience is that Maryland distributors generally don't know their asses from holes in the wall. For instance, when everyone already had Tribute, the distributor for Anne Arundel County, MD was still telling people it was only available in Japan.

His distributor said there would not be a fall Stagg release this year

I notice you live in MD as do I. Regardless of whether this ends up being true, my experience is that Maryland distributors generally don't know their asses from holes in the wall. For instance, when everyone already had Tribute, the distributor for Anne Arundel County, MD was still telling people it was only available in Japan.

I think the Pennsylvania guys go to the same school (no offence Fred)

Joe usflag.gif

If anyone in the St Paul/Minneapolis area is in need, I just noticed seven bottles of it on the shelf at Surdyk's. Well, actually six now, since I picked one of them up for a friend.

Good thing I got my bottles when I did. When I bought them at my nearby Binny's, there was a nice stack of three-packs in the bourbon section. A couple of days ago, I went by there again, and saw just three bottles left on the shelf. Go figure. grin.gif

There was something new in the Scotch section, though: Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I took a bottle of QC home with me, both because I didn't want to be selfish with the Stagg, and because I'm a peat freak as well.

Sometimes I take the selection I can find in the Chicago area for granted; then I read the horror stories of control states like PA and AL and realize how lucky I am...

• 2 weeks later...

We will be coming out with a Fall Stagg, we just don't know the age or proof quite yet. It will be somewhere around 15 years and I am lobbying for pulling it from a different warehouse than used in the past.

Ken

I am lobbying for pulling it from a different warehouse than used in the past

Are you sure you want to mess with such overwhelming success?

Good Point Dane,

However, I would be interested in a Stagg from a different warehouse. Maybe, warehouse H? I believe that is where most if not all of the Blanton's comes from, all of the bottles that I have seen this year are from H. So far, I have only had the Spring 2005 Stagg, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for all that much compared to those of you who have had the opportunity to try different years. You long time Stagg fans are more likely to be disappointed in a change in the tasting profile. I myself was initially disappointed that my Stagg didn't much resemble the Blanton's that I love so much. Repeat, initially. Every time I visit the bottle I like it better. It hasn't knocked Blanton's Gold out of my top spot, not yet anyway. Keep us posted Ken! And thanks again for all the wonderful whiskey!

Ed

I also see your point Ed, but they already produce a barrel proof Blantons albeit for export only. Stagg has its own taste profile to fit its own niche in the market. Several here absolutely adored the OFBBs until last year's younger version and were bitterly disappointed with the change. I understand the reasoning behind it but still think they should have kept it in the same zip code. While each version of Stagg has been a little different, they have been shared a lot of the same profile from batch to batch.

No Ed, I say don't make a different Stagg, just make MORE Stagg. And while you're at it send some to Missouri! You know, the little state right across the Mississippi River? banghead.gifrolleyes.gif

Thinking about it a bit more a Blanton-like Stagg is probably a really bad idea, as much as I personally would enjoy it. I am sure that they are thinking about something a little subtler over at Buffalo Trace. But if they do do a warehouse H Stagg, maybe they should call it Blagg or Stanton's...

Just kidding!

Ed

It is our intention to keep Stagg around 15 years old. Since most mainstream brands are constrained by maintaining a consistent taste profile, we have decided to highlight the aging affects of different warehouses on comparably aged bourbon. Just like vintages of wines change from year to year, we want the flavor of Stagg to reflect the aging conditions unique to its home for last decade and a half. Rest assured, if Elmer and the tasting gang believe it to be an inferior product, it will never be presented as Stagg.

Ken

• 1 month later...

I was perusing the bourbo-bunker last night pulling various bottles I've promised to bring to the Fest.....a Michters decanter for Gary, Pappy 23 for Dawn, Blanton's Barrel Proof for the Gazebo (Dane!) ......and lo I find something I didn't know I had. I had two Staggs at 130.9 proof. This didn't match my recollection of the various Stagg proofs over the years. Then I remembered this thread. My other three 2005's at 131.8 were acquired from trades and a purchase out in CA. These other two at 130.9 were purchased right here in Houston, but I didn't even bother to look at the proofs when I bought them. Apparently, some of those KY only 130.9's got loose and made it here to Texas. I haven't opened either....its too damn hot in Houston to enjoy a barrel proof bourbon right now. Looking forward to trying them both.

Randy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.