Spring Stagg?

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Best Stagg release  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Best Stagg release

• Stagg 2002 (137.6 pr)
    • Stagg 2003 (142.7 pr)
    • Stagg 2004 (129 pr)
    • Stagg S/2005 (130.9 pr)
    • Stagg S/2005 (131.8 pr)

Just picked up my order in Maryland. Three more bottles are on the store shelf.

Monte, I'm a manager in a PA store. I'm checking daily on our intranet. It looks like we are getting 44 cases statewide. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Nice!! Thanks a lot - I should be down there within a month or less, so hopefully that'll coincide with Stagg in PA!

44 cases... mmmmmm!!!

We have advised all of our distributors...If anything is not shipped by April 29, it will be re-allocated to those distributors who have already asked for more...

Ken, even though the liquor manager at our area distributor is already pissed off at me because I've been all over looking for this Stagg bottling and he didn't bother to request enough (any?) from you, I'm gonna speak up for him and request you send any more you can to Middle Tennessee.

We are informed by said liquor manager that ALL of Middle Tennessee got 30 bottles (10 3-packs), and that it was distributed 2 bottles each to 15 stores. The store where I work a couple nights a week was one, but I didn't claim our 2 bottles so they could be sold at retail instead of to me at an employee discount. Fortunately, I found one of the other stores this evening after work, and bought that store's 2 bottles (@ $51.49 each), stocked only earlier today. I don't count on finding any more. I'll consider myself lucky if I do.

Keep in mind this is an area that has had significant stocks of past Stagg bottlings. Some stores that have had multiple cases in the past got none this week -- which is why the liquor manager is upset with me: I've been to all those stores requesting to be notified when it arrived, so they were expecting some. (This is the same liquor manager, by the way, who received ample notice -- as soon as it was posted on this board -- that a Stagg bottling was in the works).

I used to write newspaper opinions/columns, so I don't really care if the distribution liquor manager blames me for his screwup of not procuring ample supply. "Whipping Boy" used to be my staff position. But I really hate the screwup!

The '05 Stagg is now in PA! woohoo.gif It will be in the Southeastern PA stores next week. It is in stores in the rest of the state now! Only 44 cases are around.

I just received a mass email from Hi Time that they have GTS at the so-called "special" price of only $49.95 (regular price $79.90).

I hadn't planned to buy from the current bottling, but in a weak moment I placed an order for one bottle. (All the more left for the rest of you.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

WOW!!!! thanks for the news, i checked it out and ordered me my first Stagg. You just cant beat 53 bucks for having something so special as a GTS be delivered right to your door. Im going to live in Japan for a year pretty soon and I will definitely be taking this bottle with me!!!

Still no Spring Stagg in MA yet, unless you count the Boston burbs, which we don't: we already entirely waste the Quabbin on Boston's leaky wooden water plumbing, plus the Big Dig moronic Federal gigabuck US taxdollar leaking-like-a-stinkin'-seive sinkhole, so why waste Stagg as well? Of course, we never got Fall, 2004 Stagg either. How about sending us (western MA) some Stagg and not bothering with KY, which gets absurdly vast excess amounts, or other neighboring states (same problem)? Cheers, Ed V. (who has yet to see, or taste, Stagg 2004 or Spring Stagg)

How about sending us (western MA) some Stagg and not bothering with KY,

Probably will be the same year the Winter Olympics are held in Hell! stickpoke.gif

I just bought George T. Stagg. I was surprised to see it's proof is hand-lettered at 129 proof.

After all the talk about 130.9, 131.8 and 131.9 - does this make my bottle an earlier release?

-Rughi

Yep, what you've got there is last fall's release and what I personally consider to be the best one yet. Lots of chocolate and Vanilla on the nose and palate. It's like drinking your dessert yum.gif

Consider that a godsend and go back to the trenches and search for the Spring 2005 release. woohoo.gif

The flavor I couldn't put my finger on during my "Real-Time Vicarious Tasting" of Spring Stagg during last nites chat, is Orange in the finish. Something between unsweetened orange and orange peel. A nice touch! yum.gif

Bobby, I emulated your "Real-Time Vicarious Tasting" during Thursday's chat with a side-by-side taste-off between the '05 and '04, and found that orange peel, too. But the thing that wowed me -- and I find different from previous Staggs -- is the peppermint-stick mintiness on both the 'greeting' and the finish. Sure, Stagg is a rye-flavored bourbon, but I might have thought for a moment I had straight rye. I like it.

I agree! Last year's Stagg was so good yum.gif that I hesitate to buy this year's bottling because I might be disappointed. banghead.gif

I hesitate to buy this year's bottling because I might be disappointed.

That did happen to me on another vintage dated Bourbon,in 2004. Stagg is carrying along very nicely, True you will find a favorite of the 4, but any one of them is terrific!

That said, since there are 4 of them at the present, they remain for me at least, the numbers 1-2-3-4 Bourbons in the world. The 2002 is first, and Haz Mat is 4th. Maybe this years is number 2 or fall 2004 is.............no need to rush into it. toast.gif

That HiTime wine and liquor site advertises a 129 proof Stagg but when i got mine today, i was pleased to see it was 131.8 proof. i wish i could taste some but im saving it for when i move to japan soon. toast.gif

I broke down and bought a bottle of the Spring Stagg. I will bring the unopened bottle to the Sampler. I will either have it for trade or we will find out how good it is at the Gazebo. wink.gif

i wish i could taste some but im saving it

All in good time, I promise you that you will not be dissappointed. I offer my bad bourbon disposal service to back it up! Just send it postpaid to me, or if I'm too busy then send it to Dane........... or Jeff.....or Cliff........... Not to worry, you'll be in good company with all the aforementioned and not part with it. Clever.gif

I swung by a nearby Binny's last weekend, and saw... lo and behold, Stagg in stock woohoo.gif. I'm mostly a (heretic!) Scotch drinker blush.gif, but I've heard very good things about Stagg, and I certainly like the Knob Creek I have in my stock, so I picked up a bottle (along with a 1974 vintage Glenrothes). I still have yet to open it, though - I have to finish off something else first. I was rather shocked when I saw the ABV on the label... I think it needs a "No smoking, matches, or open lights" warning on the label. laugh.gif The only bottle I have had that came close was a cask-strength Port Ellen (there he goes again with the Scotch!) at 64.1%. I'm definitely looking forward to popping open the Stagg...

Well folks, it looks like NH has received their shipment of Stagg... so folks in the Northeast can contact the NH state liquor stores to get their bottles.

-Will

Although Binny's didn't have it on their website, I was thrilled to find it on their shelves last night. smile.gif Also picked up a bottle of AH Hirsch 16 and ORVW 15. Since I have only ventured past Jack Daniels for the last year or two I figured I would finally take the plunge into some good stuff.

Brewcrew,

Wonderful choices...3 of my favoritesyum.gif. I'm afraid any Jack Daniels you still own will gather dust after you've sampled your new purchases. Welcome to bourbon!

Jon

Bucky - I have learned that very quickly. JD has quickly become only for guests or when I want a mixed drink at a bar.

I picked up two bottles today at the Cork and Bottle store in COvington, KY @ $49.95 each. The clerk says they have "a few" more available. (The larger C&B store in nearby Crescent Springs is sold out.)

Now I'm set for the Derby! (No juleps out of this though...)

Well, thanks to the efforts of fellow SB.comers Will, Bill G. and Monte, I got early warning of the NH Stagg situation and today got a couple of bottles of Spring, 2005, Lot B Stagg (131.8 proof). Thanks, guys! This is great bourbon!

Now I wonder if anyone other than Bobby C. or Jeff has been fortunate enough to try all 4 (or 5, counting the 2 Spring, 2005 lots) Staggs? In another thread, Jeff expressed his opinion that Stagg 2004 was tops and Bobby C. went for Stagg 2002. Any other rankings, anyone?

Wahoooooo!!!!

Spring Stagg has arrived in northern California.....should be tasting some this evening!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.