What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I stopped drinking for health reasons, but tonight's an exception. I toasted my Dad with a smidgen of WT 101. Here's to you, Donald George! toast.gif

Last night, I started with Pappy Van Winkle 15yr, and followed up with an OGD 114. This time, the OGD 114 did not hold up as well after the PVW 15, but it did turn out quite nice towards the end.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a healthy serving of Old Grand Dad 114. Its a pretty unique bourbon with a flavor that seems initially rough but mature once it settles. Only 25 bucks in Shinjuku :-D

btw, im finding a wayyyy better bourbon selection in Japan then i ever found in San Diego.

Been a while since I could sit down and relax with a nice long pour of AAA. What a wonderful pour to sip and sip and sip toast.gif

The question says BOURBON.

On that note though, Mount Gay XO...RUM!

But I started off with Elmer T. Lee,

A fine dram it is (ET LEE), Smooth, full flavored, caramel start, with a peppery mid palate and a long soft finish. A perfect anytime, wear what you will bourbon. Though I hate the wax on the top (I hear thats fixed now).

Alright, since we're on this jag: Talisker Distiller's Reserve, finished in amoroso sherry casks. This Talisker is 13 years old, the regular one is 10. The extra three years enhance the whisky but so does the sherry finishing. The result is something like the Distiller's Edition of Lagavulin 16 years old. The wine wraps around the whisky and makes it even richer and softer than normal. A fine drink but really more for the winter, and it was upwards of 90 degree F in Toronto today - but then you asked. smile.gif

Gary

Last night I had some Joshua Brook 8 yr 90 proof that I had just recieved from an order I placed with Hi Time Wine Cellars...

Last night was a pour of Sazerac. Hadn't had it in a bit and loved being reminded about how full of character it is. Hope I can find the new 6 yr. when it gets bottled and do a little comparison.

Fishing/camping trip in the mts. this weekend, and all I grabbed was VOB 90 and Benchmark. Didn't have a good supply of any "middle shelvers" that I wanted to part with; I'm hoarding my WTRR 101 and Eagle 101, and a couple of half bottles of other stuff for planned comparisons. Saz, Stagg, etc. don't go on these trips; those boys can empty a bottle fast.

Bob

I just got back from Bardstown and Louisville (just missed the Bourbon fest)and I am thouroughly enjoying my souvenirs. Last night, a Very Old Barton 90 proof. Unbelievably good for $11.00. The night before, I had a shoot out between the AAA 10 year, and the AAA 10 STAR (available here). Surprisingly, I may have liked the 10 STAR ever so slightly better. I also picked up a Noah's Mill and finally a bottle of Evan Williams 1783. None of these (except for the 10 STAR) are available in Colorado. I now wish I had picked up the other expressions of VOB, the 80,86, and 100. It would be fun to do a vertical.

tonight... a small pour of Buffalo Trace... tasty... but, I would like to see this at 100 proof. The finish is weak to me. I then moved into a pour of Wild Turkey 101... Nice!

Then onto my favorate regular pour, Old Weller Antique 107...now this is smooth and plenty of flavor.

Attention Ken Weber: Create a new bottling of Buffalo Trace, at about 100-110 Proof and I would be in heaven. I love the bourbon, but needs more punch in the finish. banghead.giftoast.gif

Why not try mixing (or "vatting", as Gary G. and others here call it) a small amount of George T. Stagg with your Buffalo Trace. The math eludes me at the moment, but my gut says if you mix one part of, say, 140 proof with four parts of 90 proof, the result should be close to 100 proof.

Heck, I like the sound of that so well, I may just try it myself. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The math eludes me at the moment, but my gut says if you mix one part of, say, 140 proof with four parts of 90 proof, the result should be close to 100 proof.

Your gut serves you well! grin.gif

Tonight, thanks to Tim (Thanks Tim!!!) Wild Turkey Tribute. Wow! What an amazing Bourbon. This is everything I love about other Wild Turkey prducts but it's so much more. It's deeper, more complex, ultra smooth with a finish that won't quit.. I suppose it's good this is next to impossible to find or I'd have to find a source of income just to fund making it a regular pour.

Ken

ah, how do i explain the directions....,,,,

well, go from the station to the main crossing (the busiest street crossing in the world) and follow the crowd straight into a pedestrian street and itll veer left. Follow that a few blocks and the awesome liquor store should be to your right. right across the small street from an AM PM convenience store.

you know what, when are you going to Shibuya? ill probably head there again within a week or two and ill give better directions and the name of the store lol.gif

how soon will you be going?

Tonight will be a Stagg 05 First Release, then maybe some Weller 12YR or Eagle Rare SB, and I'll cap the night off with Van Winkle Family Reserve 20YR.

Still celebrating from the Bourbon Festival!!

Cheers,

Tony

I'm extremely lucky to have owned and/or tasted some wonderful, rare, exotic and fine bourbons thanks to my association with this group, most recently last week at the Festival.

But, tonight, I'm enjoying some standard Weller 12yo ($29.99 for 1.75L at my local bottle shop!) while I read and watch football, and I believe I could well live with just this bottling if forced to. And save money. And still be drinking fine bourbon.

Having some Knob Creek and watching the games also. Been a bad year so far handicapping the NFL. The Cowboy/Redskin game is pretty good, the Knob Creek was better than the Saints/Giants!!

After a weekend of drinking unobtainables at the KBF, I'm reeducating my palate to drink the stuff that I can regularly afford and is readily available. The drink of the evening, while watching Monday Night Football, is Jim Beam White label out of a plastic traveler. I think I'll follow this with Old Charter 12yr.

I really like the concept of the traveller, as I ride my bicycle more often than I drive my truck, and these won't break on the ride back from the grocery. I just wish I could get Beam Black in them in Louisiana like I can in Louisville.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!