What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some Fall 2005 George T. Stagg. Got a few of these today so I think it will be a semi-regular pour for me until the supply starts to get low. :)

Last night I had a bunch of Irish but ened up going to Corner Creek. I like this stuff, anyone else?

Inspired by the Irish whiskey thread in the Foreign Whisk(e)y forum. I purchased a bottle of Black Bush and a bottle of Powers Gold Label. Currently trying both. This is my first exposure to Irish and I must say I am enjoying both with a nod to the Powers.

Powers is my Irish 'shot' whiskey. I rarely have a 'drink' of it. I'll have to do so soon.

My first pour of AAA, it's pretty good but I'm not too fond of the lower proofed bourbons.

I like the AAA 10 year old, Very Old Barton's 100 proof 6yo was a little of a disappointment to me. I usually end up pouring the AAA 10yo about twice a week.

Different tastes, for different folks. I sometimes scratch my head over the excitement that Pappy 15 generates and yet have a high reverence for the Pappy 20.

I'm one who generally avoids 80-proof bourbons, but AAA 10 Year is definitely an exception. I hope that Binny's can continue to stock it.

OWA 107, Frankfort -style.

It's been a while since I've tried this variant. Seems much better than I recall from the past. Compares favorably with the S-W version.

This summer, I've been drinking EC 12 and EC 18; Maker's Mark; Black Maple HIll 14-yr; Vintage 21-year; and the old stand-by Pappy's 20-year!

Having an early afternoon drink of Russell's Reserve 90. I know that there was quite a bit of disappointment when the 90 came out, but IMO, this is still a first class bourbon. I find the flavor of this to be exceptional.

I think people were more upset that they lowered the proof to make a play to the masses. I would imagine most on this list would agree that it's fine Bourbon.

The nose of this bourbon is what I let people enjoy that claim bourbon is harsh and has no flavor. Vanilla, Carmel, but with the unmistakable WT kick. No, it isn't the 101 and I was lucky enough to have 2 bottles of it. I can still find it at a local upscale bar, but I was warned recently that they are also close to being out.

I saw a small billboard for Russell's Reserve in downtown Chicago. It was basically a bottle shot with a little bit of copy. What I find interesting is that the emphasis was on the age--ten years--and you had to really study the bottle to find the word "bourbon." The word "whiskey" is much more prominent. What do I read into that? I think it is an effort to reach "whiskey drinkers," e.g., scotch drinkers.

Another thing I found weird about the 90 proofwas that "Wild Turkey" is only written on the bottle once, and it's probably the smallest print on the bottle. Most of their other bottlings are easily identifiable by the trademark turkey, however it is not present here. It's almost like they are trying to hide the fact it's a WT product....

My 8-year old son and I were the only ones in the family to have Columbus Day as a holiday, today. So, while I am waiting for the wife and 15-year old to return from their busy day, I am cooking a large skillet of home made black bean chili.

While the chili is cooking, I decided to have a healthy pour of Elmer T. Lee. With the first sip, I came to the immediate realization that this is my favorite inexpensive (not cheap, but not what you would call expensive) bourbon. It explodes with flavor.

To steal someone else's phrase: Life is good!

Tim

It's almost like they are trying to hide the fact it's a WT product....

I think that is exactly what they are doing, the idea being not to let someone's prejudices influence their purchase decision. In other words, they aren't targeting Wild Turkey drinkers, they're targeting whiskey drinkers.

When I can't decide what bourbon to drink, I have slips of paper in a shoe box and just draw a name. Once the name is drawn, I put it into a bag, that way, I go through all of the drifferent brands, proofs etc. If I'm drinking it straight, I usually choose more specific. Like Ratcheer said earlier, life is good. Just getting to choose from a vast selection is a treat itself!

Thomas

It may be that only members of this and other bourbon boards would know right away that it was a WT Product just by the name. When I first encountered "Russells Reserve" no one had to tell me what company made it.

I agree whole heartedly...but I still find it odd that Russell Stovers put out a bourbon. I guess it makes sense...bourbon/chocolate.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!